Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 10:59 PM   #1

Strange smell

Bare with me im a brand new rv owner. The Family and I just purchased an 04 trail lite camper. It was a friends and i know it was well taken care of. The only concern I have is a strange smell coming from the bedroom in back. Ive owned it for 3 weeks now and the smell comes and goes. More so when its sunny out. Ive tracked the odor down to where the antenna comes through the ceiling. The ceiling is solid and no discoloration. The out side roof seems to be solid with no signs of leaks. What on earth could it be. And how would i take care of it. Its not the waste water tanks or the water tanks i just flushed those when it was purchased. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Chaskrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 03:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Is there by chance a plumbing vent cap in the area? If so, you might want to take the cap off and look to see if the actual vent pipe has dropped down below the roof and is in the "attic".
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #3

What does it smell like? Dead mouse, sewage, mold, perfume? Did a cat pee in there?
Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #4

I believe there are some vents up there. Ill check it out this weekend. Id have to say possibly a dead mouse. It kinda makes sense with the odor coming and going with the heat and sun. Also the previous owner only used it once this year so its sat unattended for a little while. If that is the case how screwed am I. Any ideas on how to resolve the issue. I flushed all my internal and external tanks so i dont think itd be sewage. Its definitely not perfume or urine. The bathroom buts up to the wall right by where i can smell it. There is no smell in the bathroom though.
Chaskrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaskrueger View Post
I believe there are some vents up there. Ill check it out this weekend. Id have to say possibly a dead mouse. It kinda makes sense with the odor coming and going with the heat and sun. Also the previous owner only used it once this year so its sat unattended for a little while. If that is the case how screwed am I. Any ideas on how to resolve the issue. I flushed all my internal and external tanks so i dont think itd be sewage. Its definitely not perfume or urine. The bathroom buts up to the wall right by where i can smell it. There is no smell in the bathroom though.
That could be a tricky situation. Is there any way to remove the wall paneling to get access to the area? If it is a dead mouse or something, it will eventually dry up and go away, especially if it is hot and dry but that depends on where you live. You mention there may be some vents up in that area so I would give a good look around those also. Good luck.

Tags
smell