RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #1

Stress cracks on inside of door

It appears almost all brands of RVs...trailers, 5th Wheels, motorhomes...have a similar type of material which lines the inside of your entrance door(s). It appears most times to be of a pebble grained texture, either fibreglass or similar type material. Most would be white in color, but might be another color. It is the inside of your door and has cut outs for the window and door handle.

Ours has developed stress cracks from the door handle to the bottom of the window frame, another from the door handle heading erratically downwards, and finally another one across almost the entire top of the door, from the hinge side to the outside edge.

Anyone else ever experienced this cracking?
Anyone successfully repaired or replaced this inside material?
Any locations to refer for repairs?
Approximate costs?

Thanks in advance.

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #2

Honestly I would check and see if you have a vibration problem. Go somewhere where you can run 60 or so at least. Pull off in a safe area and put a cell phone camera or other video/audio recording device in the trailer and drive home or whatever and watch to see if the camper was shaking. The other thing could be overloaded or maybe the door is delaminated.

Sudsy

Old 01-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A picture is worth a thousand words. Questions like this need a picture or two to get decent answers.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours cracked at the window. I removed it and reenforced it on the inside with gorilla tape and put it back. Good for two years so far.
Alan24601 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Honestly I would check and see if you have a vibration problem. Go somewhere where you can run 60 or so at least. Pull off in a safe area and put a cell phone camera or other video/audio recording device in the trailer and drive home or whatever and watch to see if the camper was shaking. The other thing could be overloaded or maybe the door is delaminated.

Sudsy
I believe the OP's is a motorhome so he/she probably has a good idea of the vibrations encountered while going down the road.

Throwing out guesses here,,, Sounds like the door may be in some kind of bind. Could the strike be out of adjustment, maybe it's set inward and is holding the door in too tightly? Or, maybe too loose which is allowing excess door movement while traveling? Or another or, maybe it's set too high/low and therefore placing the door in a bind?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
The inside is just a plastic piece and if the screws are initially tightened to tight it cracks, thatís what happened to ours.
Alan24601 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #7

The stress cracks are the result of a larger problem which caused irregular pressure on the door of our motorhome.....this is not a trailer. This original problem has been corrected, and this is not a question as to how the stress cracks were caused.

My question is....has anyone had stress cracks as described in my original post and repaired the inside of your door? I donít have photos to show the cracks....they simply exist as a crack in the material heading in whatever direction. How does one repair or replace this one piece material?

Thanks
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
MnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
The stress cracks are the result of a larger problem which caused irregular pressure on the door of our motorhome.....this is not a trailer. This original problem has been corrected, and this is not a question as to how the stress cracks were caused.

My question is....has anyone had stress cracks as described in my original post and repaired the inside of your door? I donít have photos to show the cracks....they simply exist as a crack in the material heading in whatever direction. How does one repair or replace this one piece material?

Thanks
Look around the door. Top, bottom, edges. You will probably find a tag with the door manufactures name. Look them up, give them a call and they should be able to help. Champion Door in Indiana make doors and hatches for many RV manufacturers.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnP View Post
Look around the door. Top, bottom, edges. You will probably find a tag with the door manufactures name. Look them up, give them a call and they should be able to help. Champion Door in Indiana make doors and hatches for many RV manufacturers.
The hinges on my m/h door are worn to where the the door sits low in the frame and is hard to close. My repair guy was going to replace the entire door, frame and screen as a unit. He goes to auctions and buys surplus, so the parts price was going to be $150, labor and paint wasn't discussed.

Of course, then my water pipes froze, so the entry door is the least of my worries right now.

Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door