Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 06:24 AM   #1

Stuck in CDL Limbo in Livingston TX

Well it is October and TXDOT has taken over the CDL driving test. Tried to get my Class B Exempt license done in September with my 40ft motorhome. Passed written test and on the day of my driving test, my steps decided not to retract. Had to reschedule. As luck would have it, the new date is October 13th. I went to the TXDOT facility on US 59 North yesterday to locate it. Went inside to confirm this would be the testing location. Greeted by three employees that said this was the place and what they were doing to make the site ready for testing.

Problem: All three stated, or emphasized, I would need a CDL licensed driver to bring my unit and me to the site for the test.

If anyone is in Livingston or Livingston area with a CDL, I would certainly appreciate a driver for October 13th for my 10:15am appointment. I fully expect to pay you for this service to compensate you for your time. My time estimate is two hours or less. If you have a license and are available on the 13th, I would appreciate hearing from you if you are interested. Send me a private message and Iíll provide my contact information.

Thanks,

Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Just curious, why are you getting a CDL(Commercial Driver License)? I would think you would only need someone who is licensed to drive your motor home which would be a Non-CDL B or higher to bring it to the testing site.

srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #3

We all know what he needs,......a legal driver for HIS motorhome,....for the purpose he described.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I could've missed something.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

UPDATE - I made a second trip to the TXDOT location and then to the Driver's License office. The Driver's License group is in control of the process. Per the DL office this morning, "we are not enforcement" thus, will not be checking for a CDL licensed driver to bring you to testing. Second, "technically, you are driving without a license, but we are not enforcement".

I will not need an driver to take my Class B test. See reference below for the license type.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Driver.../dlClasses.htm

Also said at the DL office, "you will get a thousand difference answers to your question from others [departments]"
Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems a little persnickety to me of the TXDOT. It not like your an unlicensed driver, just not the right class for the vehicle you are diligently getting state qualified for. I bet there are a bunch of Texas Rv drivers without the class "B" rating on the road. Not making light of the law but some common sense would be good to use here.

ME and i mean just my thought... I would drive it there (assuming there is room to park it and i am assuming since it is a CDL testing center there would be) before they opened, hang out in my RV watching some morning news with my coffee, walk in at appointment time and if someone ask say " Oh my friend drove me here this morning before his work and left me and the rig here for my test."
I am sure you don't plan on failing so once the test is over you are totally legal to take it and you home.

Good Luck .....
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

Have you asked for help from the Escapees RV Club right down the road?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
You only need a CDL license if you are using your rig commercially! The "C" in CDL stands for "COMMERCIAL" and is only needed if you are producing revenue with your rig and have signs on it identifying your company. RV'ers only need a class B or Class A license, depending on weight restrictions. The local Livingston DL office is very familiar with this and handle lots of RV'ers with no problem.
Jerry
Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Have you asked for help from the Escapees RV Club right down the road?
I did check with the office to see if they know of a licensed RV'er. They did not. I did go by a driving instructor's house/rv pad but he is out on the road. Based on the information I received from the Driver's License office, I'm going to drive my unit to the test and hope to drive out with a license.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I did drive my RV to the testing center, but that was before the re-structuring.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
You only need a CDL license if you are using your rig commercially! The "C" in CDL stands for "COMMERCIAL" and is only needed if you are producing revenue with your rig and have signs on it identifying your company. RV'ers only need a class B or Class A license, depending on weight restrictions. The local Livingston DL office is very familiar with this and handle lots of RV'ers with no problem.

Jerry

Many states require a non-commercial class B for motorhomes exceeding 40 ft and/ over 26k. My coach is 42 ft, 33,545lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 10-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I drove myself to the Waco office and they didn't ask me how I got there. They acted like they understood I drove there without the proper license. The CDL drivers didn't drive themselves there though. There were lots of truck driver schools there.