Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #1

Stuck in mud

Help!

I'm staying at an RV park in Plano Texas. I left my RV parked here while I went away for three weeks (jacks up, slides in). Came back and discovered that my RV had sunk into the muddy ground that is my RV space, apparently it had rained quite a bit while I was gone. I've been back for a week, no rain, so I thought I would see if I could pull out. Didn't take me long to figure out that I was not going anywhere, stopped trying before I might make it worse.

What do I do? Does the RV park have any responsibility? How do I get unstuck?
Riover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 03:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have Roadside assistance? You need a professional tow truck and operator to winch it out for you, so as not to damage the Coach.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you talked to the RV park? Most would try to do something to help out if they could. It's just good business.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Get some large boards, slide them under Jack pads. Use front jacks first, lift front tires and fill in. Do the same for the rear. When levelled up drive off. Might need boards under wheels unroll clean as r of he soft area.

LEN
Old 12-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #5

Run to home depot and get some 2 X 12 and have them cut it into 2 ft chunks then place those under your jacks and get the weight off the tires.

Keep wheels on the ground and just make them lighter.

Now one wheel at a time lift and with a shovel push the dirt back under the tire nd make sure path toward road is smooth.

What happens is FRONT wheels sink just a bit and forms a pocket that act like chock blocks.

Back tires have same action combined with no traction and you cannot lift out.

When ready be sure coast is clear and move the jack pads to under rear tires then goose it to get away from the holes.

Next time park with weight on jacks to keep tires from sinking.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Do you have Roadside assistance? You need a professional tow truck and operator to winch it out for you, so as not to damage the Coach.

X2
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89

X2

X3
Old 12-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I live rural and backed my RV onto soft soil a couple of weeks ago. It took me two days shoveling dirt and crawling around to get it to where I could get material under the tires for traction. Also have a small tractor so was able to give it a little tug with the tractor. One thing I learned is to make sure any boards you use under the jacks are large and strong and properly placed. I doubled up 2X6's and the boards on the drivers side broke, slipped out and also portions of the boards hung up in the springs. In getting the pieces of wood out a spring it came off so I then had an extended jack down in the dirt with no tension to retract it. More digging, scooping and crawling in the mud (southwest Oregon in the coastal range, yes, rain and wind, yikes). Once I had space under the extended jack I was able to use a ratcheting tie down to retract the jack. Spouse operated the jacks retract button so I could raise the jack. I had to reset the strap a couple of times to get the jack all the way up. We do know I'll be a lot more careful moving the RV on my property. All that said I never even thought of road assistance - I have but just didn't think about that.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #9

Shovel
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #10

Riover.....Bring your jacks up, if possible. Then get yourself as many 2 x 10 x 5 foot length for as many tires you have. Dig (round pointed shovel) in front and below each tire, keep front tires straight (no plowing) so your coach will drop down and she will walk out. Once you get going, don't stop, so plan your getaway and goodluck. Have done this more than once. Works everytime.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are we still in the mud?
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:37 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It doesn't take much to get stuck. The tow truck had little trouble pulling the MH back out of the mud.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0668a.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	113674
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0670a.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	113675

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
By the time the OP buys all this wood you guys are talking about, he could have paid a tow truck to pull him out
Old 12-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #14

I agree with the tow truck. I have a 16k fifth wheel and 9k lbs truck that got stuck in the mud in my front yard the weekend I brought it home from the dealer. I spent two days trying to dig, maneuver, etc, and ended up damaging a foot pad on the landing gear, getting everything covered in mud, and killing my back. Not to mention my yard COMPLETELY torn up.

Finally gave in to my pride, called Good Sam roadside assistance (which I've had for TWO days), a huge wrecker came (the kind that tows semis) and pulled me out in 30 minutes. I was so sunk down in the mud it pulled his truck two feet before it started pulling me.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote