Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

Stupid design!

I spent 2 hot, humid and dirty hours this morning helping my neighbor get the slide and stabilizer jacks working on his new 27' Wildwood travel trailer. He was ready to leave for a week vacation and desperate.

Three experienced RV'rs could not locate the breaker and fuse panel. The manual did not show the location and no fuse list or schematic. Finally found the d&%+#@ thing by crawling under the trailer and following the exposed and very loose wires that went up into the floor at the same place.

It was BEHIND the closed slide wall! Absolutely no way to access the fuses with the slide closed. We had the owner start manually cranking out the slide ( his rv, so he gets the dirty job), and finally gained access to the UNLABLED fuses.

Changed the 30 amp fuse and that fixed the slide and the jacks. Doesn't seem like a good idea to have 5 motors on one fuse, but that's the way it was built. I would love to have a conversation with the jerk(s) that decided to put the fuse panel behind the closed slide to save a few bucks.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #2

You can buy a new 30' TT with sinks, micro, stove, refer, shower, toilet, bed, sofa, chairs, slides, propane system, inverter or converter, electrical system, air conditioner, TV, stereo etc for under $30k. Did I mention axles, brakes, wheels and tires? Think about that for a few moments. How do you think the manuf'r did all that for $30k? Priced a new Tahoe or Suburban lately? Apples and oranges, I know, but it's just for perspective. This old saw may sound trite, but "You get what you pay for."

Disclosure: I owned a new TT for one year and sold it.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #3

Unlike a motorhome, TTs are frequently designed to be unusable with the slides in.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Now that it's been found, go to an auto parts store and buy an auto resettable circuit breaker.....ash can the fuse
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #5

Check the wire size and fuse size.

Example say a #10 wire is in place then fuse size is 30 amps.

If fuse in example above is 20 then get reseting 30 amp breaker then someplace that is easy to get to place a breaker or fuse of correct size.

This protects the wire and having smaller one where easy to service it will never need replacement as it is easy...
Old 07-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #6

Changed the 30 amp fuse and that fixed the slide and the jacks. Doesn't seem like a good idea to have 5 motors on one fuse, but that's the way it was built. I would love to have a conversation with the jerk(s) that decided to put the fuse panel behind the closed slide to save a few bucks.

I can already give you the thought process for that one. Utilize one fuse and supply line out of the fusebox for the five motors which should have a max of two operating at the same time.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
Doesn't seem like a good idea to have 5 motors on one fuse, but that's the way it was built. I would love to have a conversation with the jerk(s) that decided to put the fuse panel behind the closed slide to save a few bucks.
Are all 5 motors in use at the same time?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

The resettable circuit breaker or relocating the fuse are great ideas. When I ranted about 5 motors on one fuse, the point I was trying to make was that one fuse disabled 5 motors (jacks and slides) and there was no way to get to the bad fuse without manually cranking out the slide. There has to be a better place for the panel.

Also, not a big deal, but there is no way to open the refer doors when the slide is in. Probably does not matter because getting to it requires climbing over the dinette or "L" shaped kitchen counter with the slide in. Its a nice trailer, but it sure soured the new owner on RV's.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
At a recent rv show almost every unit had the fascinatingly useless island that blocked access to the fridge and usually the pantry with the slide closed. I am able to get to all that stuff in mine because I don't have said island. This makes no sense to me.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #10

Replaced the engine A/C compressor a few years ago on my uncle's 1999 Southwind, clutch destroyed itself. Replaced the dryer and had it recharged. Compressor wouldn't go on. Traced wires everywhere looking for a fuse. Found it behind the kick panel in front of the passenger seat. A carpeted panel with screws buried in the carpet. Who thought that was a good idea to hide it there?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #11

I imagine entry-level design engineers have a hand in these problems. Back to what Sandy Swede said, "you get what you pay for". Problem is, we consumers don't want to pay for what we want. which is Newell quality for the price of a entry-level RV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 PM   #12

Quote:

It was BEHIND the closed slide wall! Absolutely no way to access the fuses with the slide closed. We had the owner start manually cranking out the slide ( his rv, so he gets the dirty job), and finally gained access to the UNLABLED fuses.
One of the items high on our list of must haves on our shopping list. Trailer had to be livable with the slides in. Looked at a couple that required going outside to get from the kitchen/living area into the bedroom and bathroom.

Only thing we can't do is watch TV.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My main AC breaker panel and DC fuse panel are located such that a slide covers them when it's in. However you can open a window in the end of the slide and readily access them. And they are well labeled. Good design.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #14

Quote:
The resettable circuit breaker or relocating the fuse are great ideas. When I ranted about 5 motors on one fuse, the point I was trying to make was that one fuse disabled 5 motors (jacks and slides) and there was no way to get to the bad fuse without manually cranking out the slide. There has to be a better place for the panel.

Also, not a big deal, but there is no way to open the refer doors when the slide is in. Probably does not matter because getting to it requires climbing over the dinette or "L" shaped kitchen counter with the slide in. Its a nice trailer, but it sure soured the new owner on RV's.
If the owner doesn't chock this up as a learning experience, he or she is missing the point of ownership.

How many of us have ever gotten exactly what we wanted, or needed the first time around?

Heck most of us still don't have the perfect RV even after years of changing out old to new, tt to fiver, fiver to DP.

But one thing for sure, he'll have a list, and do his homework before he buys another one.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote