Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Sturgis SD Bike Rally

The wife and decided we were going to go to Sturgis this year for the big bike rally. One of those bucket list things. We'll tow the Harley on a trailer. Neither of us have the stamina or youth to spend 2 full days in the saddle riding to days from Northern Nevada.

I'm curious if anyone has ever RV'd there. There's plenty of information available over the internet, but first hand experience is always nice too.

Thanks in advance for you replies.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Get your site early if you want Sturgis as they fill up pretty quick. The prices go up also. There are a number of campgrounds in and around Custer that wil serve you well. One of them is Fort WeLiKit Family Campground in Custer South Dakota

You can also go into Custer State Park as there are numerous campgrounds there. One good thing about CSP is that they cannot raise fees during bike week because it is a state park.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Rafter J Bar RV Park in Hill City is where we stayed. As mentioned, plan way ahead.
hnybare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sturgis

We were there a couple of years back and plan to be there again this year. We make reservations at Glencoe. It's closer to Town than the Buffalo Chip and less rowdy. Lots of spaces and close to their outdoor theater. Caution! all sites are dirt roads and grass spaces. 30/50 Amp service w/water and sewer. Plenty of entertainment after dark by the campers. Some partial nudity, nothing that we came across that couldn't be seen in a current M rated movie however. The area we parked in was mostly larger MH's, both DP's and Gasers. None that we saw were over 5 or 6 yrs old. All campers we visited with were at or near retirement. If it rains hard it is muddy!
We had a little rain, but nothing we couldn't handle.
Like you, we pulled a trailer with three HD's and one scooter for camp use.
Worth the trip. Suggest you get there at least mid week before "bike-week". This year i believe it is the 5th through the 11th.
Local day trips around the area including Mt Rushmor are a must. Where ever you stay, it is worth the trip!!!!!!!!
Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My nephews were talking about this last week. I'll be following this thread to gather some more information.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We RV'd there a few years back pulling a 20ft enclosed trailer with the bikes inside. We stayed at an RV camp about 3-5 miles out of town only because we didn't book until 2 months before. Got really lucky just to get a place but it was fantastic. Being slightly out of town helps to reduce the noise volume. We were there for 8 days and after awhile you do need some sleep. Also, being slightly out of town was less traffic congestion. We did a lot of riding to local areas also. As you said it is one of those "Bucket List" items. We really enjoyed it and hopefully one day we will do it again. HAve fun and enjoy the trip getting there and back home.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The wife and I RV'd out there in 2007. Come to think of it, I think it was our first RV trip. We beat the internet for several weeks and decided on Rush-No-More RV Resort. We chose it because it had everything we needed, the price was right and they advertised an adult quiet atmosphere.

My only complaint was, they had just added new sites up on the hill (the only ones left) which were nice but, they had used crushed limestone which was too big and very hard to ride on the approach (uphill) to our campsite. Too much for the wife to handle so I had to bring her bike in each night. Overall though, I would certainly stay there again. I'm also sure by now the gravel is well packed. There are of course many sites that don't require hill climing
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally