Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #1

Suggestions for a RV Carport

We are buying an RV lot down on the gulf coast. WE will be looking to improve by putting some sort of RV Carport. I have been looking around today for information on the internet and can't seem to find anything other that traditional carports. I am looking for something more beachy; something that we can also put tables outside underneath. Even thinking about a DECK on top of the carport for sunning and what not.

I realize this is more of a customize solution but I am looking to see ideas to choose from.

Anyone here have any ideas or have done this before?

Thanks in advance.

cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I like your project, your biggest problem will be gusty wind coming off the gulf. Good Anchoring will be a must, and I would do a double pike ventilation roof on the total length to stop the umbrella effect. Now creating a sundeck on top of that will be a challenge but doable. Your roof pitch will depend on how wide your looking to do this Sun shade for the MH with Sun deck for yourself. Depending how wide your lot will be, myself my plan was doing it double the wide of the MH with a patio the total length. The back half of the patio would be screen in with the front half open. With the roof over hang your patio will eliminate the need to open and close your awning morning and night. Good luck with your project and let us know how your making out.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMoe View Post
I would do a double pike ventilation roof on the total length to stop the umbrella effect.

JoeMoe,

What is a "double pike ventilation roof"??? I tried a Google search and found nothing but firefighting techniques (think pike poles and venitilating roofs for firefighting).
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions - I am hoping someone will post some pictures of some ideas to start thinking about. We plan to take pictures next time we drive down there to see what others have done.

Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Carport

There are a couple of threads about garages and some have posted pictures of car ports. Go to search and type in garage.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addisons View Post
There are a couple of threads about garages and some have posted pictures of car ports. Go to search and type in garage.
Will do - thanks....
Old 01-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What we call a double pike roof, is went you cover your main roof, you leave a opening at the very top on each side off the upper roof so air pressure do not build up under the roof. After that done you build a small second roof over the opening off the main roof with louver side wall. The second roof will keep rain out but will allow air out under the main roof. The size of the opening off the main roof and height off the side wall of the second roof can be determent by how much wind the area normally get and how much ventilation you want.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:59 PM   #8
cwk

JoeMoe,

That makes a lot of sense to me. With the open sides of a carport, high winds could easily get under the roof.

I did some searching and I think I found an example. Is this what you mean? The photo shows a gazebo, which has "open" sides to the wind (screens let the wind in). The air pressure pushing up under the roof can escape under the second roof, but the rain stays out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gazebos_443_A_a.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	116676  
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #9

as for car ports... no deck above...

but car ports can be 16 feet high..

Carolina Car Ports.. .. I have seen a 3 axle 5th wheel under one. and with sides and back.
I have a standard one for Truck. 12 years old
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
try some place like dura-bilt products,they make carports and patio covers that are insulated,laminated aluminum and polystyrene,similar to motor home walls.Very strong,for wind or snow loads,can do gable style,flat or shed configurations.Posts would have to sunk in the ground for proper wind uplift streanth.They are nicer looking than carports.com,but are more expensive.

PS the insulated carports from dura-bilt ,you can walk on, 45lbs per sq ft rating.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #11

Another vote for Carolina Carports - Carolina Carports - Homepage

They come with engineering drawings (for local building permits) and are available to withstand wind to whatever degree you're willing to pay for. See local zoning for what might be required?

Popular, and very easy to work with. Many local dealers sell these under all kinds of different names. My only advice would be to make sure you have the dealer pull the permit and include price as part of deal. Do not allow him to force you into a "homeowner assembled" type arrangement. There are liability and insurance issues involved there. If the dealer is shy about the permit part, you have good reason to keep shopping.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I had this built/installed for our enclosed trailer as you can see in the picture's. It is a Carolina Carport, you custom build/order it to meet your wants and needs. They pulled in, 2 hrs. later they left! They build and install a very sturdy/stout building for sure. I have no complaints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06942.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	116689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06943.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	116690  

Old 01-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes Charles that the idea. It will allow gusty winds a way out and also serve at as releasing heat out in them hot summer months. What ever we build in this crazy
weather pattern we been having over the last decade that have open sided, it need to be well anchored to the ground and have good ventilation, some time that not even enough. That one of the main raison why you don't see a lot of them MH carport type design, most of us have seen what happen to a awning left open in gusty wind, figure now a open roof four time of that awning with the same gusty wind? It will have four time the lifting power and with that much lifting power the extra weight of the material will not matter. Not saying that it not possible to build, but it have to be well taught off and build by professional builder that will stand behind his work.