Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Suggestions for Places to Park in ND, SD, WY or MT?

​We have a revival near Florence and Lolo, Montana in mid July and we had planned to leave Kansas on the 9th and drive over the next 3-4 days. We have had a change of plans and will probably be free to leave on Monday July 2 from Northeast Oklahoma.

I will probalby go straight north and pick up I-29 near Kansas City and go up through Omaha. We will either turn west on I-90 or continue north and go west on I-94. It is a little farther on I-94 but we have never been to North Dakota and we really want to escape this heat! It was 104 in Miami, Oklahoma today.

Here's the problem. That will be 4th of July week and I imagine finding a place to park along the way might be difficult. I will have the bus and the 24 ft. trailer so I will need a big place with 50 amps.​

Anybody have any suggestions for RV parks along I-90 or I-94 that would be worth investigating?​ We have visted most the major National Parks and such along I-90 so we do not have to park near them but we would not be adverse to it either. Even though these few days will be more resting than sightseeing we do love the scenery and National Parks.

If you have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions I would appreciate it.

Home is where you go when there's no place else to go!
DKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi from South Dakota.

We live in and travel FULL TIME in our rig although we're outta here in the winter, we are from South Dakota and pretty familiar with the routes you've mentioned.

In Mitchell, South Dakota, (exit I think #332, but anyway Hwy 37) is a great overnight stop at either R & R Campground or, in the Cabela's RV Parking Lot. Both these stops are off the same exit. R & R is immediately to your right as you take the off ramp, while Cabela's is an easy access Left on Hwy. 37 at the foot of the ramp then Right on Spruce in about 0.2 mi. from exit ramp. Cabela's may have some water hook ups, but not sure.

Ya know, we've traveled both the I-94 East/West in N. Dakota, AND of course the I-90 East/West in South Dakota, but I've gotta tell ya, it probably isn't worth driving those extra miles up the North/South I-29 from Souix Falls, SD just to take I-94 across N. Dakota. This is an opinion and is not because we are from S. Dak. If ya want to take I-94 just to say you've done it, well,...o.k., but since the scenery experience is pretty equivalent, we'd save the drive time and miles by routing via I-90. I'm guessing you're already familiar with the Black Hills/Rapid City experience.

Anyway, have a GREAT TRIP.

Steve & Lynette

2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
i dont know about availability but on I90 at rapid city there is a nice cg named Three Flags a passport site very friendly and allot of pull thrus we were there this month and really enjoyed our stay
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Thanks to both of you. If we go through South Dakota we would not mind spending a few days in the Rapid City/ MT. Rushmore area.

I appreciate your thoughts on North Dakota. That's exactly the kind of opinions I am after.

I will check on those campgrounds.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
If you go through North Dakota a hidden gem is Medora. This is a little western town about 30 miles from the Montana border in the Teddy Roosevelt national park. They have a RV park there and the most amazing outdoor theatre production I have ever seen.

The Medora musical runs every night through the summer. The show is absolutely amazing & starts just before sunset and goes for roughly 90 minutes. Extremely talented singers/dancers/entertainers & musicians. I now make it a stopping point every time I pass through ND in the summer.

Good luck & enjoy your trip!
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - Duramax/Allison

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Camp America in Salem, SD last summer (a few miles east of Mitchell). Very quiet with big pull throughs for $32.

Stopped at the Corn Palace in Mitchell. Other than the Palace, it is a pretty depressed town with a lot of closed store fronts.

Right by the entrance to the Badlands is the vistor center for Minuteman Missle National Historic Site. You can get info on seeing a missle silo and going down into the launch bunker.

Regarding ND, I saw some other posts from iRV2 members who said campgrounds were full because the the oil boom up there. So if you are passing through, it will be wise to call ahead.

Safe travels!
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
We stayed at Camp America in Salem, SD last summer (a few miles east of Mitchell). Very quiet with big pull throughs for $32.
Thank you for the recommendation. We stayed a Camp America this week and it was fine. The sites were very long and recently graded and the price with Good Sam was $57 for two nights.

They did have an issue with electricity the first day but it was 100 degrees. I asked them to change the breaker at my spot and after some discussion they did and that solved the problem. The main breaker on our row kicked once also but the second night they did not park anybody there and all was well.

The park is Big Rig Friendly. If all I had was the bus and a toad it would have been perfect. Since I am pulling a 24 ft. trailer this summer the turns were tight going in and going out. If it were not for some empty sites and open grass I would not have made it out without somebody moving.

Overall it was a pleasant experience and I appreciate the recommendation.

We bypassed the Keystone area yesterday and drove on to Indian RV Park in Buffalo, Wyoming. It seems like a nice place and the folks are friendly.