Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #1

Suggestions re: leaving 2nd hose hooked up to sewer flush. Bad etiquette? Bad idea?

OK, long story short, while we camp, every time I dump my black tank, I run the black tank flush for a few minutes until I see no more TP coming out. This would occur every 2nd or 3rd day.

So today, I bought a brown hose (so no longer using my fresh water hose), an inline cut-off valve, and a hose splitter for at the site's main water faucet.

I plan on leaving the white hose on the freshwater inlet and that valve turned on. Then hook the brown hose to the sewer flush inlet, and both those valves turned off until it is time to flush.

Is this cool? For sanitary and campground etiquette reasons?

FYI--the black tank flush inlet is in the wall up about chest high to me, not one of those at the bottom of the drain outlet.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #2

Personally... If it were me.. I'd be getting a new white hose.. I've never let my white (fresh water) hose touch, or get anywhere NEAR my black tank stuff.. but that's just me..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #3

I agree. I even hate seeing my white hose cross over the sewer hose, but no other way around it.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
What you're proposing is just fine. However, if for some reason you happen to forget that you have the black tank flush running..... you will regret it! Don't ask me how I know.

I have the same set up, but I now disconnect the black tank hose from the park's hose bib.....that way I KNOW I am safe.

I might add that you should probably put a anti-back flush valve between the "Y" connector and the black tank hose. This will insure nothing gets backed up into the fresh water system.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
What you're proposing is just fine. However, if for some reason you happen to forget that you have the black tank flush running..... you will regret it! Don't ask me how I know.

I have the same set up, but I now disconnect the black tank hose from the park's hose bib.....that way I KNOW I am safe.

I might add that you should probably put a anti-back flush valve between the "Y" connector and the black tank hose. This will insure nothing gets backed up into the fresh water system.

Ron
Good suggestions! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a Y at the water bib. A Goodyear, black hose that is dedicated to the Santi-Flush (which does have a back flow valve on it). I put a quick disconnect on that hose and it usually has a garden hose spray gun on it. I bought a short hose, grey, 200 psi hose from rv water filter store that is attached to the Santi-Flush inlet with a quick disconnect on it.

When I back flush I remove the spray gun and attach the black hose to the grey hose via disconnect. When we depart for a new destination, everything gets sprayed down and stowed away.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
OK, long story short, while we camp, every time I dump my black tank, I run the black tank flush for a few minutes until I see no more TP coming out. This would occur every 2nd or 3rd day.

So today, I bought a brown hose (so no longer using my fresh water hose), an inline cut-off valve, and a hose splitter for at the site's main water faucet.

I plan on leaving the white hose on the freshwater inlet and that valve turned on. Then hook the brown hose to the sewer flush inlet, and both those valves turned off until it is time to flush.

Is this cool? For sanitary and campground etiquette reasons?

FYI--the black tank flush inlet is in the wall up about chest high to me, not one of those at the bottom of the drain outlet.

That's fine, unless some kid comes along and opens the valves to the tank flusher!

I leave my flush hose connected at the spigot through a "Y" fitting, but disconnected at the tank flusher inlet until I'm ready to use it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #8

I don't like carrying more hose than necessary. I have, from the hose bib, a pressure regulator (Watts), blue disposable filter, single hose up to the coach / trailer, a 4 port hose attachment, short piece of white hose to the water inlet on one of the ports, a back flow preventer, piece of gray hose from it to my black tank flush on another port, I keep another piece of gray hose with a garden spray handle ( much more versatile than an RV shower unit) that can be attached to the third port, and I use the 4th port to release pressure in the whole system, so that I don't get showered when I take it apart.

All of the pieces-parts are connected with solid brass quick connects. I don't have to deal with two long hoses, I can hook up only what I need and all of it fits into a single "fresh water" tote.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Webslave - how do you wash your windshield?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I would put a backflow preventer on the Y where the flush hose connects, just to make double-sure nothing ever feeds back into the drinking water supply. There is one in the RV's flusher (if it is properly designed, anyway), but a second one is cheap insurance against a leak. Some local codes require it, though I doubt if anybody would ever check.

Powerfit 1" Garden Hose Inlet Back Flow Preventer, Brass - Walmart.com
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

It's not something I would do. Someone could come along and turn it on without your knowledge. A couple that I know with a brand new MH went away for a couple of days, they disconnected their fresh water hose from the MH thinking to prevent problems in their absence. The RV park experienced water pressure problems while they were gone. You figure great thinking to disconnect their hose, right? Wrong, they left the hose connected to the spigot, someone came along and hooked up the MH to the hose and turned the water back on. Trouble is they got it wrong, hooked up the black tank rinse instead. Can you say "MESS".
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Here is how I do ours:

First off, I have an anti-back flush valve perminently connected to the black tank flush connector on my coach.

Every hose and hose connected accessory is equipped with a quick-connect coupler.

I connect a quick-connect "Y" to the park's water outlet. Not only does this make is easier to connect hoses but it also provides an easy access quarter turn valve for turning off the water when we're away from the coach.

I use a collapsible crickle hose for my black tank flush.

This hose is easily connected/disconnected when required and hanges conveniently on my black tank flush valve when not in active use.

An added advantage of the quick-connect hose couplers is having one perminently attached to the wall inside my water bay. I connect the working end of the water hose to it when traveling to keep it clean and safe from falling on the floor of the water bay where holding tank cross-contamination might occur.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:02 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suggest attaching this 45 deg fitting WITH valve to your flush fitting if it is in a wetbay. You can close the valve to prevent water from draining back into the wetbay.

Since your flush fitting is outside the RV, I would not leave a hose connected for fear of someone turning it on (vandalism). Otherwise if it is in a locked bay, I don't see an issue. There should be a vacuum break in the line to prevent any backflow.

Regards,

Dan
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Here is how I do ours:

I use a collapsible crickle hose for my black tank flush.

This hose is easily connected/disconnected when required and hanges conveniently on my black tank flush valve when not in active use.
Be careful with these collapsible hoses. They state on the box that 75psi is the max. So don't use them with a shutoff valve UNLESS it is after a regulator.

I use this kind of hose to wash my roof...the first one popped during first use.
Exchanged it at Home Depot, the clerk said a lot of them have been returned.
Seeing the spec on the box, I just bought the cheap RV water regulator, and leave it on the hose all the time.

Regards,

Dan