Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #29

It's a rather small window of opportunity, been doing this since we were kids. Mostly, just Sundays from 12 check out time for about 40 minutes. Spotted another pile while on my way to brush my teeth at the bathhouse. Had to chuckle seeing the neighbor absconding with it on my way back.
Not a bad haul, do leave a clean fire pit, not a single cigarette butt or bottle cap, site wide.

lenkerb, did not know or see sign, that camp host firewood is for sale, how much would you want for all of it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
Seems a little tacky.
It is amazing how we all think so differently.

Let me ask,,, If i'm camping and don't use up all of my firewood, is it tacky for me to take it with me when i leave. What's the difference if i leave the wood and someone from another campsite walks over and picks it up before a new tenant comes in? Is the next person that moves into the spot really expecting to find firewood left for them? I know i certainly don't.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
. Camp hosts have never put firewood out for new visitors in the parks we visit.
Because they have learned it will just get taken by some other camper so the host gave up trying to be nice.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Only a LITTLE?
I was trying to be nice.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #33

Hmmmmm, Have more than once picked up wood left by others and more then once left wood for anyone that wanted it. We usually ask if neighbors want it, if not we just leave it.

But this topic does beg to ask the question what is fair game once someone leaves a sight. Along with our travels we also live next to a State park that we walk a lot. Things that are left are amazing sometimes. When I was a kid my buddies and I found a whole gallon of MD2020 that was a find I wish we never found the next day........
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #34

An alternative, the camp host could hold back firewood, but then give it out as they see fit.That negates ,,, chance, and puts the ball back in their court.

Still trying to figure out why camp hosts use brooms instead of Shindaiwa blowers, go comercial and be done in 2 minutes per site.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Hmmmmm, Have more than once picked up wood left by others and more then once left wood for anyone that wanted it. We usually ask if neighbors want it, if not we just leave it.
We do the same thing, sometimes ask but usually just leave extra firewood that we don't want to carry back home.

Reading some of the replies here, i guess i'm supposed to be appalled if i somehow find out a camper grabbed our left behind firewood before the new camper got to the site. Seriously, is the new camper really disappointed because he or she didn't find a couple of pieces of leftover firewood waiting for them? Or could it be, they're not really expecting to find firewood left in their site in the first place?

As far as coming across more important/expensive things left by previous campers, we always turn those into the park.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #36
WDW

We buy wood. And never get around to using it. So I bring it home and stack it in the garden shed. LOL! Well seasoned!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post

Still trying to figure out why camp hosts use brooms instead of Shindaiwa blowers, go comercial and be done in 2 minutes per site.
Because while you might not mind the sound of a blower at anytime during the day many many other campers can and have been annoyed enough to complain about the noise of blowers and the dust they tend to stir up so camp host sometimes are directed to use rakes and such and leave blowing and grass cutting/edging for one day a week. most times a slow weekday like mon or tues or wed.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #38

Unless I missed it, no one mentioned that it is against the law in some places to transport firewood around in the RV.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #39

Too funny... opinions about scavenging firewood. Whose right or wrong... I haven't a clue

I live in the country. I cut down several trees every year and, up around the house (6+ acres of lawn), my tree trimming seems to never end.
I often cut what I trim and take down in to firewood. Our fireplace is strictly propane. We do not use firewood at home, but it seems like a waste to just throw it all into a burn pile. I sometimes wind up with one or two ricks of firewood. I try to give it away and often have people that want it, if I will deliver the FREE firewood to them

If we are camping close and taking two vehicles (one to pull the boat), I will usually load a good amount of firewood to take to the campsite. Since I usually have an abundance, I take much more than I know we will use.
I offer it to others camping around us. If it is not all used or given away by the time we leave, I stack it neatly against a tree for whoever wants it after we are gone.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #40

Sunday check out,, time to scout for fire wood leftovers

Wood is about 10 bucks for 3 good bundles. That's 3 really good evening fires!
We stay busy with great fun, taking pictures, and leaving only footprints. No time for scavenging. [emoji6]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2506.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	174921
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Unless I missed it, no one mentioned that it is against the law in some places to transport firewood around in the RV.
Many places it against the rules or law to bring in firewood from outside the local area. That is not a rule the locals or the camp host make up to sell more wood (that does not stop people from accusing locals and camp host of making such a rule just to profit, or sending kickbacks to the park rangers to have such a rule in place,,,,yes i have heard that accusation) it is to stop the spread of some bugs and such what might not be present in the area but are where ever the wood came from.

It is almost impossible to enforce, it depends on people to do the right thing. if joe pulls up in his camper with wood there is not many ways to say it came from outside the local area or not.

I have seen a rule that is something along the lines of the wood must be in a pre-packaged bundle type thing labeled where it came from. All other wood is not allowed. Again hard to enforce and depends on folks to be truthful and do the right thing.....good luck with that!

I do think most folks grabbing left over campfire wood in a campground plan on using it there........still folks should know transporting it in or out of area could be a problem not just with breaking some rule or law but contributing to the spread of some beetles or other things to areas where the effect might be overwhelming leading to larger fires, native plant/tree dies offs and loss of habitat to all sorts of critters.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #42

Having spent countless weeks fighting wildland fires in many US Western states the last thing I would ever do is start a campfire. I am amused by the incredible conflagrations that some people take joy in sitting around. I have seen people haul in literal pickup loads of wood and am gobsmacked when they actually burn the whole lot. Mine is just another completely different perspective on the need or lack thereof for firewood gathering.

The poster before me is exactly right about the dangers of transporting firewood. One of my favorite camping areas on the Oregon coast is infected with a mold which causes Sudden Oak death. Pack infected wood around and help spread and incredibly deadly pathogen.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire