Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
While you were washing and waxing your roof, I hope you had a safety line on you. ........ Because of his death, I have adjusted my thinking about waxing my roof. Now, I will pay someone to do the roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I do my own washing, but I pay a guy $250.00 for a 3-stage wax and buff twice a year...once for my birthday and once for Christmas...
Good point about the safety line, but all in all, with the wear and tear on the body, I giving serious thought to doing as mentioned above, paying a pro to do it. As my birthday is late June, the birthday and Christmas sounds like a good plan to me.

VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Not really. Prior to and after my military career I was in various parts of the construction and/or service trades I was taught the use and care of tools from small hand tool to the vehicles we used to go to work, so I look as our RV as a tool. It's one of several tools that I use to create enjoyment and keeping it clean and waxed IMHO is part of taking care of that tool. In addition to the above, the last three units I had, I not only got a better value on the trade in, they all sold within a week of trade in. Two of the three were sole the day we traded.
I understand your reasoning, I just have a different one in that I think of things from a longevity angle, and believe, for me anyway, that old technology is better.

My RV started life as a Greyhound bus, and after a one month conversion, has served me well for the past 10 years, and I anticipate that it will outlast me.

By present auto is a 1985 Toyota SR5.

I own a 1947 Roto-Tiller.

My motorcycle fun needs are fulfilled with a 1967 (If I remember right) Cushman Eagle.

All these will still be running, and in my possession, for the rest of my life while newer, less solidly constricted equivalent items will be long ago scrapped and forgot.

On, and by the way, I DO spray wash the engine on the RV (Bus), and Tiller as absolutely needed for longevity/ease of maintenance, but as previously stated, I refuse to wash anything just to maintain its beauty for the benefit of others IMHO.

I also understand your Military experience as a source of "tool" maintenance, I'm retired Navy myself.

Ed

Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #17

Paint the roof w/linear polyurethane or an equivalent 15+ year high quality paint. then hose it off.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You guys make me tired just reading about all that work! I do manage to give it a good wash job once in a while, but the waxing, NO WAY! A few years ago (well, maybe MORE than a few! ) I would have jumped right in there with the best of you, but at 73 I just can't muster that much energy! Good luck with the waxing!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
roof

I feel getting up on the roof of a MH is just plain risky. Add to that water, soap and then wax and you have a recipe for a nasty fall. There are those places that have roll about ladders and life lines to do that kind of work and for my money, that makes a whole lot of sense.

Of course, that is just my own opinion.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuydog View Post
I feel getting up on the roof of a MH is just plain risky. Add to that water, soap and then wax and you have a recipe for a nasty fall. There are those places that have roll about ladders and life lines to do that kind of work and for my money, that makes a whole lot of sense.

Of course, that is just my own opinion.
Your opinion is well received and accepted. Over the past couple of years I made a lot of decisions about what I'm will do and what I'm no longer willing to do and pay to have accomplished. I now even get help to work on the Mustang and I'm giving serious consideration to selling it and get one that I can take to the dealership and say "fix it". As mentioned earlier, I prefer to keep my RV clean and waxed, put I really have come to the point with the waxing part that I'll start having it done.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #21

I wash mine as needed. I used to wax things when I was younger but, not often anymore. I don't know why anyone would need to wax the roof? I take a garden hose, stand on a ladder, and rinse it off before I wash the rest.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #22

You blokes are makin me tired just reading about such exersion. Give it a break, aye? What's a checkbook for if not to give ya some pleasure in seein another bloke work ta make yer rig pretty?
But once a year is good enough. The patina from the road makes it all moot pretty quick.
Just sayin...

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote