Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sunday, day of rest....

...and I needed it! Even my hurt hurts. Normally I try to stay on top of keeping the exterior of the RV washed at least monthly or after each trip and waxed twice a year. I've managed to keep the washed part of the duo accomplished, but, the waxing part has gone undone since I got the unit in November '11. Now I'm paying for it, especially on the roof. After failing to get it clean and back to the white color with soap, water and the RV brush on Friday, I spent several hours yesterday on hands and knees with a spray cleaner bottle and did the hand scrubbing thing with terry cloth towels. Also got about 40 of the roof surface waxed, but looking at the results, I'll need to put on a second coat immediately even before I can start on the body waxing. Using liquid Mequiars as I had a couple of bottles on hand for the first go round.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #2

Just reading that makes me hurt in places where I didn't know I had places.
I literally feel for ya!
"Arthur" rules my life now. I do it with cash.
Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it "no rest for the wicked" or "no rest for the weary"? Finished the first coat of wax after another three hours work today. It's going to need a second coat, anybody got any suggestions on something a little easier to apply and buff out other than using liquid Mequiars.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I use Zymol works great and lasts goes on easy and removes easy. In between I use Protectall spray does a great job and you can use it on every surface.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, got to get this part of the cleaning under control.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #6

If you didn't HAVE to do that, you'd probably THINK you had to. Individual priorities abide here.

My priorities are different in that I haven't washed or waxed my rig in ten years, with the exception of a little spray and wipe on small portions of the siding once in a while. My thoughts are that if a job doe's not make my RV run better, or more efficiently, but just makes "paint the rocks" type work, I refuse to do it.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
If you didn't HAVE to do that, you'd probably THINK you had to. Individual priorities abide here.

My priorities are different in that I haven't washed or waxed my rig in ten years, with the exception of a little spray and wipe on small portions of the siding once in a while. My thoughts are that if a job doe's not make my RV run better, or more efficiently, but just makes "paint the rocks" type work, I refuse to do it.

Ed
Not really. Prior to and after my military career I was in various parts of the construction and/or service trades I was taught the use and care of tools from small hand tool to the vehicles we used to go to work, so I look as our RV as a tool. It's one of several tools that I use to create enjoyment and keeping it clean and waxed IMHO is part of taking care of that tool. In addition to the above, the last three units I had, I not only got a better value on the trade in, they all sold within a week of trade in. Two of the three were sole the day we traded.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
While you were washing and waxing your roof, I hope you had a safety line on you. Last year, a good friend of mine was doing just what you are/were doing and slipped off the roof, falling 12', landing head first on a wood fence. Broke his neck, was scalped and broke ribs, plus his hip. After several months of intensive care he finally died of his wounds. His heart couldn't take the trauma. Be careful out there. Because of his death, I have adjusted my thinking about waxing my roof. Now, I will pay someone to do the roof.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #9

I do my own washing, but I pay a guy $250.00 for a 3-stage wax and buff twice a year...once for my birthday and once for Christmas...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post

Ed
as I get older my mind starts drifting in this direction, but I think a clean vehicle does run better and I do not like to drive a dirty one.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #11

My rig has a fiberglass roof, and it is of course slippery when it's wet. I park it below a tree with a strong branch, attach a strong rope with knots every foot, and keep the rope loose around both armpits so that I can grab it if I start to slip.

I get up on the roof from the rear ladder and start washing from the front, working my way back to the rear. I clean small sections - about 3x3' - and dry them with a towel, so I am never on a wet surface. I use the same method to wax.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #12

anything wrong with using floor was for the or the sides ?? especially on the older fiberglass rigs with a few cracks in the gell coat as it will fill them...and it looks nice when done...jeff
Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know Sunday is supposed to be a day of Rest but for me it is normally the "Big work day"

Take down (Finish we start Saturday) Drive to church, SING in the choir, do a bit of shopping, return to one or another campground, Partial set up, (Finish on Monday) in addition to my daily help folks on the internet.

Of course 2x a year I wash and wax, NEVER on a Sunday.

And through the week I do light maintenance, Today's job was fixing one of the Tri-mark basement latches. Dang thing broke and would not open.. So I left it yesterday in the rain and today in the dry went out with a flash light and a pair of forceps (Curved end) and opened the lock by depressing the striker bolt instead of lifting the handle.

Took less time to pick the lock than it normally takes to select the proper key.

Good security those locks provide.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
The only place I wax, is the front cap. If I don't keep it waxed over the windshield, the runoff from dew causes big white streaks on my windshield.