Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #1

Surge Guard Model #34750

First, keep in mind that I've been using a Surge Guard Model #34750 for a few years. Now, last October I had an electrical fire in my trailer. Everything AC was fried and replaced. Probable cause was listed as the converter, but it also was fried, so no definitive proof was available. Early April we had another electrical fire. Because this one happen as setup was being completed, (first fire was during the middle of the night) power was cut sooner and only the microwave, vacuum cleaner, WII and XBox were affected. The 2nd repair facility is blaming both incidents on the Surge Guard, again no definitive proof. This, despite the fact that the unit functions perfectly and even shut down during a low voltage issue situation where we spent the winter and returned service after the 128 second delay.

Has anyone else out in RV Land had an issue with their Surge Guard or had an electrical issue while using one? The insurance company is using half the repair facilities recommendations, which is costing me more money.

Also, I'd be interested in any thoughts about whether a surge protector failure would be considered an electrical failure or an electrical mechanical failure?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #2

I have heard of Surge Protectors giving that problem, although I know a lot of people that have Surge Protectors and none of them has had a problem. Perhaps that is why some manufactures make them to hang on the post outside the rig?

Old 05-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine hangs on the post. Locked such that it is when I feel it is necessary. It does get warm at times. I was told that it is designed to hang (vertical) and not lay. Especially when it rains. Supposedly it is designed to take the rain in that position. I have been in some torrents and have taken a garbage bag to cover the whole post during those periods but remove it as soon as reasonable due to possible heat issues. This is my second one. First on did what is was suppose to and sacrificed itself but protected the coach. I swear by them ever since.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

How did the Surge Guard supposedly cause a fire? From what you describe, it seems as though the electrical fire was elsewhere and the Surge Guard didn't burn or suffer damage? Did it somehow send fire shooting down the wires? Inquiring minds would like to know...

I would not put much faith in what an RV tech said about the cause. Few of them have much real understanding of the electrical systems and even less about fire causes.

I've had a Surge Guard 40250 (sugre/monitor/ATS) installed in my coach since late 2008 and we haven't burned anything up yet.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #5

Can't say exactly what it did other than it put a short or allowed a power surge. Every plug and accessible junction box was checked with no indication of any burning/melting of wires. I'm currently plugged in and short of the affected items (microwave, vacuum,Wii and XBox), everything is working fine. The technician has been in the business over 15 years, has a three bay repair facility, three repair box trucks, a dozen employees and has run into issues with the surge guard in the past. I'm not saying his word is gospel, but for know I feel I need to heed his advice.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Seems to me the most you can say is that the Surge Guard failed to protect your appliances. That in itself is worth talking to TRC about, I think. But without any real evidence as to what got damaged in those gadgets, or why, it is a difficult conversation to have. One could as easily say the transfer switch caused it, or the load center, or some other piece of gear in the power system.

I'm not trying to defend TRC Surge Guard, but the lack of any credible evidence about what happened leaves me unconvinced. Obviously something is seriously amiss, though, or you would not have had two electrical fires.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #7

I would take a close look at the Automatic Transfer Switch. A bad neutral wire, contact or connection can cause 140 + volts to be sent down one of the 110 volt lines of a 50 amp system. The same problem could originate inside the 34750.I had to replace a relay inside a TRC 34750 a few year ago.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
The 34750 is the 50 amp external (portable) surge protector?? ... I had the 50amp 35550 hard wired version in my previous DP Class A for 15 years without a problem. Mounted in the power compartment, on it's back in the bottom of the compartment. The unit tripped due to low voltage a few times and twice due a nearby lightning hit.
\
(TRC did replace the unit under warranty about 10 years in due to a chattering main relay.)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #9

Since there is 240 volts coming into the Surge Guard there is some remote chance that a defect could cause the 240 volts to be applied to a 120 volt pair. The fact that there was one side still working, after the first fire, tells me that the Surge Guard might be defective.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #10
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you still using the same surge guard after (2) electrical issues, I would give serious thought to biting the bullet and replacing it.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

We have the same model protector. Hand me down from my parents. Had an issue where it was showing reverse polarity and then killing power. Park said it there wiring was fine. Eventually it got bad enough that they took the pedestal apart and found a few wires burnt part way through and my adapter cord plug fried. The park replaced my adapter cord.

Now having said that...........during this process I checked with TRC for ideas and found that this model is discontinued and a new one is available. 34850. Might be time for an upgrade.

HarleyOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surge guard