Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #1

Surge Protection

Howdy All!

We are fairly new to RVing... never have used surge protection before for our electrical hook ups. How necessary is it to have surge protection? Also, if my 5th wheel is 50 amp, would I need to get one for both the 50 and 30 amp (for those sites that only have 30 amp)?

Thank you!
Xtrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrains View Post
Howdy All!

We are fairly new to RVing... never have used surge protection before for our electrical hook ups. How necessary is it to have surge protection? Also, if my 5th wheel is 50 amp, would I need to get one for both the 50 and 30 amp (for those sites that only have 30 amp)?

Thank you!
Surge protection alone, OK. Will try to protect against transient spikes such as caused by a nearby lightning spike or high voltage power wires touching in a storm. May have some warning lights telling you something is bad but doing nothing about it.

Power protection with surge protection, plus a contactor that won't pass power into your RV if it sees dangerous over-voltage, under-voltage, reverse polarity, bad ground GOOD. Costs much more but much worth it. Add up the replacement cost of your Microwave, AC units, TVs, Power Converter and see what it will cost you if you plug into bad power somewhere.

There are various brands, personally I have one made by a company called TRC. You can hard wire in your RV or buy one that goes between the end of your power cord and the pedestal.

Buy a 50 Amp one and it will still protect you if you put a 50 to 30 amp adapter between your 50 Amp connection and the pedestal, same for 50 to 30 to 15 amp if you ever do that, too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #3

I would get one that installs in the RV which in your case would need to be a 50. These seem to be well regarded.

60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #4

You really should have a good SP--one of the best is Progressive Industries.
If you have 50amp, there are adapters to plug into the 50 amp cord with a 30 amp plug to the pedestal. Easy, no chance of messing it up. Always shut the pedestal off before plugging into or disconnecting from it to prevent arcing.
A trailer with 50amp service plugged into a 30amp source will need watching on how many devices are running--one AC; the micro only; water heater on gas, etc. Using too many devices will draw too many amps and trip a breaker, either in the trailer panel or at the pedestal.
Not to hard once you figure out the high-amp-draw appliances.
The SPs come in portable and permanent configurations--your choice.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrains View Post
Howdy All!

Thank you!
To some, it's snake oil and they have never needed it in 20 years. To others (like me) it is a vital necessity. As I said, some have never had anything bad happen, but others have been in a CG where something bad happened and many units had serious issues but the protected ones were OK. Look at the amount of electrical and electronic material in your 5er and how vulnerable it is.

The board consensus (for the most part) is the Progressive EMS. You will only need a 50A box. If you have to use a 30A, the difference is in the plug that you use at the pedestal. The next issue is hardwired or portable. My preference is a hardwired as it is protected from the elements and genetic mutations which may (rarely) cause legs to grow.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a must have.
Not just surge, but a full EMS.
EMS has surge plus qualifies the power before allowing through to the RV - low/high voltage, proper grounding, etc.
Progressive EMS is one of the best.
If 50a RV, get 50a EMS. It will also work on 30a connection.
Available hardwired or portable. Both do the same functions.

Imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:53 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went for 50 years without surge or power protection and never had to replace any appliances. Present rig came with one and I'm glad it has it due to the electronics it has.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the Progressive Industries EMS series protection devices which protect you against everything, not just surges! You will pay $300 + but it will be the best insurance you will ever buy! They have a lifetime warranty and outstanding customer service!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #9

Traveled for 10 years in a 30 amp rig before buying an EMS, a Progressive permanent mount in the electrical compartment. Had the opportunity to use their very generous return policy when the remote display decided to go bad. No problem, they sent me a new one immediately while holding onto my CC number while the old one was on it's way back. When I bought it, it had a 1 year warranty, but they later changed that to 'forever'. I like that.

To address your questions, if you're very careful and take time to look at the electrical connectors before plugging in, maybe even use your meter to measure stuff, you can avoid bad situations like defective outlets, or mis wiring, and that way not need an EMS. Over the years there were many times the RV park would come out to my space and replace the old, crumbling outlet for me. Or I'd move to a different spot.

During electrical storms, unplug from shore power and do without electric during the height of the storm. Usually only takes 30 minutes to an hour to wait one out. Or run your genset during that time. Even with those kind of precautions, you are not protected from every electrical disaster, as you might be asleep, and you can't always run your genset. There could be a time a neighbor or the maintenance guy messing with something a few RV spots away could short out something and plunge the entire park into darkness (actually happened down in Mexico, blew out several RV's delicate electronic devices. I only lost a satellite power cube...and had a spare). RV park paid for everyone's stuff, but often people have to submit to their own insurance for reimbursement.

Although you can make do without a EMS, it's just more convenient to have one. At that Mexican RV park I mentioned, my 50 amp EMS saved nearly all my electronic gear, dropping out quickly. As I said, I did lose a satellite power cube. Five or six others lost TVs, VCRs, DVRs. One satellite receiver died too. Me and another RV'er were the only ones with EMS units and were pretty happy about it.

To answer your second question, if you have a 50 amp RV, you buy only a 50 amp EMS. It doesn't care if you plug into 30 amp or 50 amp shore power, it'll protect in either case. I'd recommend the Progressive, and the permanent type so it's less likely to walk away.

I did a write up on my blog about installing the EMS you might find interesting: Adding a Progressive EMS

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
I've been an electrician for 34 years and wouldn't think about going out without one. I installed mine the first week I had my coach.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote