Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Surge Protector

We bought our coach new in 2015 I also bought a Progressive Industries SSP 50 X surge protector. I have now had my 4th failure of this unit. The first warranty worked good. They sent me a new one and I sent the old one back in the same box shipping included. Next time I called and was told I had to furnish my own box and pay the shipping they would fix it and send it back. They did as they said they would and I know it was the same one because there was a screw missing when I sent it and it was still missing when I got it back. When that one failed I found out they no longer did business by phone. They only do warranty work by e-mail. I had to fill out a form and have the original purchase receipt. I had to take pictures of both the male and female plugs showing the body of the unit also. I had to scan the pictures into my e-mail and send all this to their warranty department to see if I qualified for a replacement. I sent it and the pictures were the wrong size. They said if I couldn't resize the pictures I would be denied. I resized the pictures (I don't know how) and sent it back. They sent me a new one and told me to throw the old one away. Its out again and I think I am done with them. This time they also want pictures inside my electric box to make sure it is wired right. Sorry this is so long I am just upset.
lee&rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I bought my RV and it had a PI EMS 50a unit installed. Great for about a year, then it went out. I called and a tech walked me through a few tests and verified it was bad. They sent me a new control board that I installed. On one call the owner of PI answered the phone to help me. I was a strong supporter because of the wonderful treatment I got and I talked them up everywhere. Then the company was sold, the warranty changed, and I can no longer recommend them to new RV owners.

Progressive Industries used to be miles above Surge Guard, which had only a one year warranty and no repair or parts exchange. Now they seem to be about the same. The very nature of an EMS with a surge protector means it will sacrifice itself in a voltage spike, meaning it needs repair. The advantage of the old Progressive Ind. lifetime repair or replace warranty made it very appealing. Now not so much.

It's a shame, the company had great relations with folks, that's what made them successful. The new ownership seems to have lost sight of the value of that advantage of their product support to owners and I think they will suffer as a result.

It reminds me of the old Fantastic Fan support, if their fan failed, they'd send parts or replacement, no charge. Now they have no advantage over other similar vent fans.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I bought my RV and it had a PI EMS 50a unit installed. Great for about a year, then it went out. I called and a tech walked me through a few tests and verified it was bad. They sent me a new control board that I installed. On one call the owner of PI answered the phone to help me. I was a strong supporter because of the wonderful treatment I got and I talked them up everywhere. Then the company was sold, the warranty changed, and I can no longer recommend them to new RV owners.

Progressive Industries used to be miles above Surge Guard, which had only a one year warranty and no repair or parts exchange. Now they seem to be about the same. The very nature of an EMS with a surge protector means it will sacrifice itself in a voltage spike, meaning it needs repair. The advantage of the old Progressive Ind. lifetime repair or replace warranty made it very appealing. Now not so much.

It's a shame, the company had great relations with folks, that's what made them successful. The new ownership seems to have lost sight of the value of that advantage of their product support to owners and I think they will suffer as a result.

It reminds me of the old Fantastic Fan support, if their fan failed, they'd send parts or replacement, no charge. Now they have no advantage over other similar vent fans.
When was the company sold? Are older models still being honored with the lifetime warranty that was in place when they were purchased?
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #4

Sending out all that free stuff may sound good to the consumer but it's pretty hard on the bottom line of a company. A concept our politicians still don't understand. Also, when you only have a few customers it's easier to give personal service than it is when your customer base gets bigger.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
"Progressive Industries used to be miles above Surge Guard, which had only a one year warranty and no repair or parts exchange."

I bought a Surge Guard 34850 used from a guy who has a 30a rig and thought the 50a protection would be better. About a year later, in about Sep of 17, it developed a split in the covering of the output cord. I called Surge Guard and they said send it back. I said 'I bought it used.' They said 'I don't care.' 4 weeks later, I have the same unit in my hands completely refurbished. Cost to me = one way shipping, if that; I paid nothing else. So there's a data point on Surge Guard repair and return policy.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
When was the company sold? Are older models still being honored with the lifetime warranty that was in place when they were purchased?
My manual for my EMS and all dealings I had with the company were based in Morrisville, NC. Now on their website, they are in Menomonee Falls WI. I've had no dealings in recent years, but reports on the forum suggest they have reduced services.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #7

My first real purchase was a PI 30HW and I went to them and picked it up. It was waiting on the counter when I arrived. As I leafed thru the instructions as the lady was doing the billing. She told me that she found it online for X amount and charged me that. When I asked about installation she called a tech in the back who came up and answered my questions. The parting shot was that since I was coming back by the next day on my way to the campground, that I could come by and a tech would show me what to do (but no hands on).
Old 08-27-2018, 10:52 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Sending out all that free stuff may sound good to the consumer but it's pretty hard on the bottom line of a company. A concept our politicians still don't understand. Also, when you only have a few customers it's easier to give personal service than it is when your customer base gets bigger.
So true. All part of the operate lean policy. Some businesses operate on a very small margin of profit. A company I worked for used to offer a pension, paid employee insurance premiums, paid employee assistance (i.e. basic will for free, 10 counseling visits per year, free adult/child daycare finding assistance...etc). Eventually all that went away. A company my husband worked for had perks for seniority (i.e. free house cleaning service 1x mo, vacation allowance, quarterly bonuses/company stock purchase discounts....etc). All that, too, gone now.

It's disappointing, but not unexpected for PI.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of your problems, but four failures of a unit that is designed to be self-protecting is almost beyond belief. It's no surprise the manufacturer (Surge Guard division of Southwire) is skeptical and asking for additional info. There has to be some cause for this many failures, whether the wiring in your RV or the shore power you are plugging into.

That said, customer service has definitely gone way downhill, at Surge Guard and most other companies. Price competition and ever-higher costs, especially for skilled technicians, has taken a severe toll on personal service and willingness to repalce products simply for customer satisfaction.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
This last failure was the only one at my residence in three years that I have had my coach. I had an electrician do the original wiring and had a different one come out today to recheck everything. All of the other failures were at different places and it was a different problem with the unit each time.
I think I am going to look for a different brand. I was trying to talk the electrician into taking these two that I have apart and see if he could fix them. The one I have been currently using is showing both blue lights on which means it is receiving proper power. Both green lights have gone out which means the surge protection has been compromised. I am getting ready to leave next week on a month long trip and I don't want to go unprotected. Looking back we had a 26' toy hauler and a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler and I never had a surge protector on either one.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee&rita View Post
This last failure was the only one at my residence in three years that I have had my coach. I had an electrician do the original wiring and had a different one come out today to recheck everything. All of the other failures were at different places and it was a different problem with the unit each time.
I think I am going to look for a different brand. I was trying to talk the electrician into taking these two that I have apart and see if he could fix them. The one I have been currently using is showing both blue lights on which means it is receiving proper power. Both green lights have gone out which means the surge protection has been compromised. I am getting ready to leave next week on a month long trip and I don't want to go unprotected. Looking back we had a 26' toy hauler and a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler and I never had a surge protector on either one.
" Its out again and I think I am done with them. This time they also want pictures inside my electric box to make sure it is wired right."

I'm surprised you'd toss out the PI EMS and buy a different brand when a couple of photos could get a replacement. Changing a photo's size and sending the files or even printing them out is not a difficult or expensive thing to do.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-30-2018, 12:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
" Its out again and I think I am done with them. This time they also want pictures inside my electric box to make sure it is wired right."

I'm surprised you'd toss out the PI EMS and buy a different brand when a couple of photos could get a replacement. Changing a photo's size and sending the files or even printing them out is not a difficult or expensive thing to do.
Agree. I just experienced the replacement process as well. Generated a claim from their website as required to include attachment of my original purchase receipt (from Amazon archives), the requested photos.

Within 24-48 hrs, Progressive informed me they would send me a brand new unit with no need to return the old one. New unit arrived within 5-7 days.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:58 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks everyone. Now that I have calmed down and found my original purchase receipt I guess I will take the required picture and send them in. This still will not help me with this trip. I am leaving on this coming Thursday. I just found this out last Sunday. But I guess if they replace it we will have it for the next trip. I will just have to run this month long trip with out it.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:15 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We just had an E9 error code on our progressive unit. We called the service folks and they feel it is a bad or disconnected cable from the unit to the monitor mounted in the cockpit of the coach. They are sending a new cable and we will have our dealer reinstall it. Meanwhile the unit still is working.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote