Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #1

Surge protector

How important is it to install a surge protector on a 2010 bighorn . I see more without that with.
rvingkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #2

How important is it to have insurance? Yes I know that if you have financing insurance is mandatory but you would never go without it would you.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:25 PM   #3

My opinion only.

If you do only boon docking, little if any reason.

If you regularly hook up to CG power, it is absolutely necessary, but not for the obvious reason--sudden surges. Rather, all the surge devices will read the power and connection accuracy when plugged in so you can make the decision to plug in or not. All it takes is a miswired post to fry all your connections in the rig and/or damage appliances. Without a protector, you are literally hooking up "blind," putting your complete faith in the camp ground's system.

Further, the better protectors will not let you pass power to the RV if there is a wiring or power problem. This is critical because many power issues, like low voltage, happen after you've hooked up and the damage will be done.

Again, IMO, it is foolhardy to not employ some level of protection between the power source and the RV, and the more protection, the better. Do not go by what "many others" seem to do. Go by what will make you comfortable after researching the issue.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Having a good AC protector is one of the most important things on my list! All it takes is one bad CG power pedestal to totally destroy your AC appliances and cost you a ton of money! I highly recommend the Progressive Industries EMS series that protect you against just about any AC problem, not just surges. You will have to pay about $300-$350 for these, but it will be one of the best investments you will make!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share. A EMS system is most important and so worth the money

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

I agree about a surge protector. Whether it be insurance or a sliding hitch in a short bed, you may never need it but that one time...

Check out:
Camco Heavy Duty Dogbone RV Circuit Analyzer With Power Grip Handles, Integrated Surge Protection and Fault Indication ($70.29 on Amazon)

Also, I just found this from a friend’s recommendation.
Valterra Twist-On Waste Valve, Mess-Free Waste Valve for RV's, Campers, Trailers
Eliminates the mess of residual “spillage “ when hooking up your sewer line (removing the cap and having that cup or so spilling onto your hands or the ground). $23.29 on Amazon
Old 06-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingkeith View Post
How important is it to install a surge protector on a 2010 bighorn . I see more without that with.

Hi Keith-

Electrical prophylaxis comes in a couple of varieties, "surge protection" and "EMS". EMS is energy management system. An EMS in its most basic form will monitor incoming voltage and open the circuit if voltage goes too high or too low; it will open the circuit if it detects a open ground, open neutral, or a couple other potentially hazardous pedestal wiring issues. Surge protectors only protect from surges.

Next is to decide if you want an installed unit or one that plugs in at the pedestal. If installed you have the choice of where it is placed in the electrical path (most often right where the shore power cord connects in your unit). Some RVers fear theft of an EMS and use installation models for that reason alone although the reported incidence of theft (as reported here on iRV2) is almost nonexistent.

Now, do you need one? It's a tough question because you don't, until you do, and then it's too late. It's cheaper than replacing your microwave oven, coffee maker and any more sensitive electronics in your RV.

If you do a "G" search of these forums you'll find more often than buyers remorse you'll find remorseful non-buyers. There are a few folks here that have never had one and have never had expensive failures, so there's that as well. I carry a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X. At $260 it's less $$ than replacing my microwave, DVD player and TV.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:

Keith, Welcome!

How are you accounting for those like I who have hard mounted systems that are inside of the compartment? Just because you don't see one doesn't mean that it isn't there.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:57 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Even at $250+/* a copy, I feel as though a PI EMS is cheap insurance against a sudden power spike, low current "brown out", or open ground protection, etc.

I understand many folks have gone many years with out any problems using no protection, but it only takes one time to ruin all the electronics in your RV.

Years ago, it probably didn't make as much difference. There weren't a lot of sophisticated circuits in a typical RV. Now there are tons, including the A/C, control board for the fridge and water heater, radio system plus TV, and all the phones, I Pads, computers that may be plugged in charging at any given time.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #10

Some protection is better than no protection.

This little meter will warn you of high or low voltage.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...tor-rv_55-9420

This is not a high end unit but is better than nothing.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...tector_55-2754

Lynn
Old 06-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Like any form of insurance, it's a waste of money until the day comes when disaster strikes. Then it becomes priceless!

If you travel around to many different campgrounds, sooner or later you are going to encounter one with electrical issues. Bad wiring, overloaded circuits, damaged receptacles, etc. When you encounter the problem, it may be just a nuisance or a potential thing, or it may be damaging.

Despite all the internet noise, power surges are not really the concern. If you buy one, you definitely want the EMS type (see Solo RV's reply).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #12

Most people never use a fire extinguisher but would never go out without one.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #13

RV Trip Woes

Me and the DW decided to go on a short glamping trip to Glen Rose, TX. There, we had to listen to a membership sales spiel to qualify for "free" camping. Needless to say, we said "no" to them. Anyway. Our MH does NOT have an EMS. The RV park outlet was 50A with no breaker (unusual!) We plugged in, and everything seemed to work. Soon we noticed that the forward half of the coach was getting warm and we felt that the forward AC unit was not cooling. We thought that the AC unit was malfunctioning. When we eventually left, I fired up the generator and lo and behold! Both AC units started and the coach quickly cooled down. Next day, I brought the MH to my RV guy, had the systems checked out and plugged into a "good" 50A outlet and everything worked normally including both AC units. So it's clear that the RV park was giving me only one 110v leg of power. My RV guy recommended that I buy a 50A Camco Surge Protector/Circuit Analyzer. It cost only $148 and while it is not an EMS it will tell me if there is any abnormal outlet issues BEFORE I plug in. So I bought it. The posters are correct: even the surge protector/analyzer is a lot better than nothing!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #14

Keith I know exactly what you mean. Until I had an open neutral in a power cord and almost fried my 5th wheel, it did fry several things but not all.

A surge protector falls into the same category as a seat belt, fire extinguisher, weapon, spare tire and insurance. All of which you have but hope you never need.

We installed a Progressive EMS in our 5th wheel so you couldn't/wouldn't know we had one. When we sold it, it went with it and I bought a Surge Gard for the motor home.

My opinion is everybody needs one and don't price shop get the best you can.