Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Surge Protectors

We want to get a 30amp portable surge protector, and would prefer a Progressive Industries models, given the comments on here. What is the difference between the EMS and regular models? The less expensive PI models don't have high/low voltage protection. Do we need that?
Keen Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen Family View Post
We want to get a 30amp portable surge protector, and would prefer a Progressive Industries models, given the comments on here. What is the difference between the EMS and regular models?
The surge protector units do only that, protection against power surges. The EMS does surge protection, plus qualify the power before allowing it to pass through to your RV. By qualify I mean it checks for over/under voltage, proper grounding, correct frequency, etc. Additionally should the power cycle on and off, it delays reapplying power for two minutes to ensure the power presence is stable.

Get the EMS unit. CG power is erratic not infrequently. Cheap protection against damages to your RV and your stuff. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #3

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yes, you need high/low voltage protection. All it takes is 1 hot holiday weekend at a crowded campground where you're at the last pedestal in that row's electric run to fry your AC compressor. Ours has saved us many times over.

Don't cheap out getting the less expensive/less coverage EMS. Cutting corners will cost you in the long run.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have the portable PI 30 amp EMS and camped for a month in Mexico recently with friends who had just the surge protector. Literally, every couple of days I would go out to my power pedestal (because my electric had shut down) and my friends would ask what was going on (as their surge plug was still going right along). The digital readout on my EMS would quickly explain the issue-- some days the power was running way to high (132 volts) and other days it would be way too low (110 volts). That's Mexico! Here in the U.S., my EMS has never shut off due to low or high voltage....yet! I do like the portable version for the flexibility it gives you. A few times in Mexico, I decided to bypass the EMS and plug in anyway (knowing the power was too low or high) as I was just going to run a hair dryer (and had more sensitive items running off an inverter). Could not have had that flexibility with a hard-wired EMS unit.
WinnieViews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had a lighting strike back in 2014, ended up having to replace a circuit board on the Intellitec EMS system

I put in a Progressive Surge protector which also senses High Low Voltage, frequency and whether the ground and neutral is reversed. I bought the 2nd display so that I can check it when I plug the coach in, I mounted the other in a convenient place so I can monitor while we are parked.

In the short time I've had it caught a reversed neutral situation in a COA campground and also a low voltage situation.

Great product and well worth the cost.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:02 AM   #7

I went with a Hughes Autoformer. Surge protector and power booster.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen Family View Post
We want to get a 30amp portable surge protector, and would prefer a Progressive Industries models, given the comments on here. What is the difference between the EMS and regular models? The less expensive PI models don't have high/low voltage protection. Do we need that?

Yes, you definitely need the high & low voltage protection! Either can damage your equipment! Progressive Industries is the way to go!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieViews View Post
Could not have had that flexibility with a hard-wired EMS unit.
Progressive Industires EMS has a by-pass switch
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #10

I bought the PT30C in 2014 and it is well worth the money to protect the RV electrical.
DavidR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The EMS is definitely the way to go.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #12

KR be advised, the Hughes Autoformer's surge protection is sacrificial! If you take a hit you will have to send the unit back to them and have them repair it. Since then I installed a PI portable Surge Protector, a lot less money.

Sal
Old 04-30-2016, 10:49 PM   #13

Newbie question. I looked at the Progressive website. The have 30 and 50 amp units. Is it worth getting the 50 amp?
SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:01 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Newbie question. I looked at the Progressive website. The have 30 and 50 amp units. Is it worth getting the 50 amp?
SailorSam, it all depends on what you have in your RV. If you have either 30 amp service or 50 amp service, you would get for that particular service. The 50 will work with either, but the 30 will not. At least not properly.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote