Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2005, 02:10 PM   #1

Hi all.

We thought we were all set with two kids and our two bunk Travel Trailer, but we were wrong.

We will shortly be having a third little surprise bundle of joy. "It's a boy!" I guess I better go get the proverbial procedure done soon, before something like this happens again...

Anyway... We are now scratching our heads over where the little tyke is going to fit in as far as sleeping arrangements go, at least for the first year as a newborn anyway, after that I think we will be ok. Has anyone had to deal with this and are there any narrow camping cribs out there that will fit next to a queen size bed in a travel trailer? (I figure there is at best a foot and a half of room there.)

Has anyone perhaps made something like this, and maybe have the plans? Any and all suggestions welcome. I know this isn't your average mod is it?

P.S. We figured out the little guy was conceived while camping. Camping can be alot more expensive than you think.

<tr>
BigDogMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2005, 02:10 PM   #2

Hi all.

We thought we were all set with two kids and our two bunk Travel Trailer, but we were wrong.

We will shortly be having a third little surprise bundle of joy. "It's a boy!" I guess I better go get the proverbial procedure done soon, before something like this happens again...

Anyway... We are now scratching our heads over where the little tyke is going to fit in as far as sleeping arrangements go, at least for the first year as a newborn anyway, after that I think we will be ok. Has anyone had to deal with this and are there any narrow camping cribs out there that will fit next to a queen size bed in a travel trailer? (I figure there is at best a foot and a half of room there.)

Has anyone perhaps made something like this, and maybe have the plans? Any and all suggestions welcome. I know this isn't your average mod is it?

P.S. We figured out the little guy was conceived while camping. Camping can be alot more expensive than you think.

<tr>
Old 01-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #3

Well congratulations on your new addition. We had a mother & her 1 year old baby (as foster kids) and she had a porta crib that was easy to tear down and nice for him to sleep in. I think it was about 2 feet wide, and about 3 ft long. But couldn't you set it up anywhere in the camper? By the dinette? etc. Hoping this helps a little

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:49 PM   #4

Congrats on the new addition! Ah, I remember those days...0-10, love them to death..everything they do is cute;10-13, impossible to understand, still love them, though. 13-18...you gotta love them, it's against the law to kill them...18-21, life support system for hormones...after that, they're human again!

Boy, 18 inches is not a very big space... you sure wouldn't make a year with that narrow a crib. I think you're best bet is one of those collapsable crib/playpen rigs. It would need to have a bit more open floorspace, but probably safer in the long run

Good luck! Let us know how you make out. (BTW, only kidding about kids. I've accomplished many things in my professional life, and even the most significant achievement there pales in conmparison to the wonder that is our children. They truly are the greatest things I've ever done!)
Wayne
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:39 AM   #5

Hi Mark:

Congratulations are indeed in order. We had four!

If your trailer has the dinette, I would look at something like a legless crib that could be clamped on to the lowered table top! It could be moved to your bed when everyone's up!

Heck I could build it for you for the cost of materials. Good Luck.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:33 AM   #6

everyone i know uses a travel crib (play yard) that way they can break it down easy when they need to clean under it. and most of them now have a changing table on them so that will help also.

Happy Camping

PS whe we picked our current RV we made sure there was plan of crib room

San Antonio, Texas
DanJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dragan:
Congrats on the new addition! Ah, I remember those days...0-10, love them to death..everything they do is cute;10-13, impossible to understand, still love them, though. 13-18...you gotta love them, it's against the law to kill them...18-21, life support system for hormones...after that, they're human again! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - congratulations are in order!

Although Dragan has the right idea above, one axiom was overlooked: you spend the first year teaching them to walk and talk, then the next 17 years telling them to sit down and shut up!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the responses and congratulations.

We will be using a pack and play, but were just hoping to find a way for, at least the first 6 months, the baby to be nearer for breast feeding.

I might try to build something to accomadate this, If not maybe a small crib can be found that will fit alongside the bed.

Thanks again and if there are any other suggestions or thoughts I would be pleased to hear them.

Also... I hear you guys Dragon and Alan. My two other youngins are 9 and 6 and they can be a handful at times. I also work for a school system and am in contact with the other wonderful age groups on a daily basis as well. Fun, fun, fun...

<tr>
Old 01-18-2005, 02:19 PM   #9

Hey Mark have you thought about one of those plastic storage compartments? WITHOUT THE LID of course If you line it with blankets or sheets, it would work ok! Just a thought, but be careful getting out of bed that you don't tramp in it

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #10

My sister slept in a drawer (not in the dresser) when we visited family when she was just a few months old. Really, any old container that keeps the kid laying in the right place where he won't get stepped on and can be protected, will work fine. We took our third kid camping at just a couple months old and used the pack and play. We just put it in the living room and got up if we needed to. Congrats!

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
The Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #11

Congrats!!

Did you hang out a sign that says "Don't come a knockin' if..."
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote