Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
That rule is becoming common as RV parks fight to stay in business. The bottom line is; it it their business to run as they choose, and tenants agree when then they sign the rental agreement.
It is our choice where to spend our money. I either agree to the terms or continue on my way. Abuses by a few make it hard on everyone else.
As CG's fight to stay in business, mainly because of rising property values, they have two choices raise rates and/or reduce expenses.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wonder how they feel about heat pumps?

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
It seems to me that if you don't like the rules as published at a privately owned CG, then, rather than cheating and steeling, you should motor on down to the road to the high price CG with facilities and rates compatible with unlimited electric use.

This is of course, just my opinion.
2002 38' Diplomat
Keith & Shirley
Durant, OK
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Catch'n comes before hanging.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
We paid $55/nite in Yellowstone.

You can bet I used all 3kw between two heaters to stay comfy thru the 40 degree nites. I kept the propane tank full for emergencies.
2014 XLR 415AMP, 2011 F350 6.7 DRW, restored 82 Wing, 02 Shadow, 06 ST1300A, NRA Benefactors.
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #20

Originally Posted by docj View Post
IMHO the park doesn't want space heaters to be used because using electricity for resistance heat is one of the most inefficient ways to use energy to create heat. I assume your motorhome has a furnace; why wouldn't you expect to use that for heat?
Not to be picky, but I'm thinking that what you meant was that creating heat with electrical units may be the most EXPENSIVE method per BTU of heat. Frankly, electric resistance heat is one of the most efficient forms of heating at nearly 100% efficiency. Think of it this way. All the heat created by that small space heater remains within the coach with literally no losses. Now, place your hand over the exhaust port of your propane heater and you'll get a sense of approximately 20% of the propane energy being lost to atmosphere. Similar, yet smaller heat losses, are also experienced on heat pump systems.

In the case of this discussion, the real issue is WHO is paying for the BTU's of heat. Either the campground owner (electricity) or the Rv owner using propane. I always assumed that using a small 1500W heater was acceptable during Spring and Fall shoulder seasons unless otherwise communicated by the campground. We recently stayed at a campground in the mid-west that asked in their printed material that you keep the A/C off when the coach was vacated. I was put off by that for two reasons. 1) some folks have pets that need temp control. 2) trying to cool down a coach that has been sitting in the hot sun and 90 plus degrees for hours on end can take a long, long time to cool down. I think that request was more about profit margin than electrical capacity or energy conservation. I'm supportive of owners making a fair profit, but not at the expense of basic amenities.

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, but I have an propane heater , and an electric heater besides our furnace. When in a park I always use the electric heater, that why I paid for full hookups..............
stryker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
OP Here: Sent park an email requesting clarification on "no electric heaters" rule. They did not answer. Also wifi fee is $2 a day "per computer!" Posted park update in rvparkreviews.com.
Challenger Owners Club
2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune with 2014 Ford Fiesta behind us & 385 FastTrack kayak inside.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am sitting, as I write this, in a campground in western CT that charges $45/night for a full 50A hookup. In addition, their info sheet also lists: visitor fee $2/person, overnight visitor fee $5/person, no electric grills, no electric heaters, $2.50/day if you use your a/c.

I can't imagine how they would seriously enforce collection of these fees, but I can understand their problem. They probably occupy about 25-30 acres of what has to be some pretty valuable real estate, but they're only open seven months of the year. I'm sure its a constant balancing act.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
I was at a campground that has a famous cartoon character as a mascot. I read all the fees, and I had to initial to indicate I understood at check in. I really wanted to ask the nice young guy at the counter how much the fee was for "do whatever I want"

I know this is about not much else but money, but I'm relaxing on vacation. If I decide I need AC, or electric heat, or an electric grill I'm just going to use it. Sure, I'll think twice if I know it will have a direct immediate impact on others (brownouts occuring).

Nearly the entire country has electricty under $.20 a kWh. Typical cycling of AC or heat is only a few $1 a day. In extreme temps it is more, but in extreme temps you really want or need it.

It may really be time for the high rent or high kWh locations to meter. I'd much rather leave a deposit and be billed agaist it for actual usage, then to be scolded while making $5 payments throughout my trip. One easy way would be plug meters. At check in ask if the electrical usage will include X,Y, and Z. If so kindly leave a deposit for, and use, the device. Yes, a few jerks will bypass it. A few will lie, and use big kWh devices anyway. But it would give everyone else a way to pay for actual usage without harrassment.
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #25
California has very high electricity rates as they have some kind of alternative fuel mandates which makes electricity at a much higher rate. They also buy a lot from other states.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
Rules are made to be broken. Who can remember all the rules? There's no way for a cg to monitor all the rules. They are posted so some will adhere. CGs are very busy this year and will continue as more boomers retire and start traveling. No feeling sorry for them. Some are poorly managed anyway. I pay their price to park and am entitled to some amenities.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #27
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
Sorry, but I have an propane heater , and an electric heater besides our furnace. When in a park I always use the electric heater, that why I paid for full hookups..............
When I pay for a 30AMP electric hookup, I'll use my 30 AMPS no ifs, ands, or Buts.
I pay 100% of the bill for it so I'll use 100% of it.

Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Wonder how they feel about heat pumps?

My primary heat is a 110 Volt portable AC/Heat Pump unit. (I carry NO propane)
They better like it if they rent me a electric hookup.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote