Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
CD

Survived 2 totals this last week

Friday we were rear ended and our Honda was totaled along with 2 other cars. We were stopped on the highway waiting for ferry traffic to clear so we could turn left into our driveway. We were stopped for a few minutes when another car pulled up behind and stopped and we waited a few more minutes. Then there was 2 big bangs and we were being pushed down the road. I had the brakes on but it didn't do any good. Shortly after getting stopped I was able pull in our driveway. After getting out I realized there was 3rd car involved. After the State trooper talked to the 3rd driver she came to us and told us, "He didn't see any cars stopped". She then asked what was he looking at. He didn't have an answer. She told us she was betting that he was texting. That was on a 50mph road. Believe it or not no one was badly hurt.
Yesterday I had a total knee replacement. It all went well and I took some short walks today. What a week!

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recall one day,, A car broken down on a 4 lane highway, i'm number several behind it.. Finally I'm down to #2, the driver of the Pick up in front of me gets out and offers assistance to the stranded (Which I would have done if he'd have pulled out) and the line is now 4 cars, Stranded, Pickup, Me, guy behind me.

Dude comes out of the 2nd lane at 60mph (it is a 45 zone) and WHAM.. Thankfully my brakes held (he had a light weight car and the poor guy behind me. His car took most of the impact) His excuse "I thought I"d make better time in the right lane since there was no traffic there" He was already doing 60 in the 45 and he wanted to go FASTER!!!! My car survived.

At his trial he said "But But But.. Shouldn't they have had their 4-way flashers on".

No, 4-ways do not work when you are standing on the brakes with both feet.. But BRAKE LIGHTS were on,, Full on.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Glad no one was hurt in either accident mentioned. Really glad! As far as the folks that caused the accidents........................You can do driver improvement classes and buy the safest cars around, BUT.................... you can't fix stupid!
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Friday we were rear ended and our Honda was totaled along with 2 other cars. We were stopped on the highway waiting for ferry traffic to clear so we could turn left into our driveway. We were stopped for a few minutes when another car pulled up behind and stopped and we waited a few more minutes. Then there was 2 big bangs and we were being pushed down the road. I had the brakes on but it didn't do any good. Shortly after getting stopped I was able pull in our driveway. After getting out I realized there was 3rd car involved. After the State trooper talked to the 3rd driver she came to us and told us, "He didn't see any cars stopped". She then asked what was he looking at. He didn't have an answer. She told us she was betting that he was texting. That was on a 50mph road. Believe it or not no one was badly hurt.
Yesterday I had a total knee replacement. It all went well and I took some short walks today. What a week!
Make sure you do your PT on that knee and it will be fine. Cars; so much plastic and metal they can be fixed. I am experienced in both areas.

Cell phones and cars do not mix with this exception; the guy that rear ended us while on his cell phone? I had him use his cell phone to call his insurance company on the scene, after he admitted fault he handed the phone to me and we set up the repairs. Neat.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42

Make sure you do your PT on that knee and it will be fine.
X2 on the PT. I had both replaced at the same time 4 years ago and I had a great result thanks to a great rehab facility and my willingness to do all they told me to. My Dr. told me before the surgery that his part will be half. The other half is up to me.

Good luck and as others have said , the other stuff damaged in the accident can be repaired. Thankfully you're ok.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hear about the traffic accident but glad you were OK. Congrats on the new knee as well and glad to hear that recovery is going good as well. Boy, one day and your walking. AMAZING!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting, I wonder if the officer could have checked the phone for the time of the last text massage or would she need a warrant.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I recall one day,, A car broken down on a 4 lane highway, i'm number several behind it.. Finally I'm down to #2, the driver of the Pick up in front of me gets out and offers assistance to the stranded (Which I would have done if he'd have pulled out) and the line is now 4 cars, Stranded, Pickup, Me, guy behind me.

Dude comes out of the 2nd lane at 60mph (it is a 45 zone) and WHAM.. Thankfully my brakes held (he had a light weight car and the poor guy behind me. His car took most of the impact) His excuse "I thought I"d make better time in the right lane since there was no traffic there" He was already doing 60 in the 45 and he wanted to go FASTER!!!! My car survived.

At his trial he said "But But But.. Shouldn't they have had their 4-way flashers on".

No, 4-ways do not work when you are standing on the brakes with both feet.. But BRAKE LIGHTS were on,, Full on.
Glad the OP came out OK. Work that knee....

But if the 4-ways are separate from the brake light circuit they do work on the different bulbs. It seems to me that most American cars have the 4-ways tied into the brake light circuit.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Glad the OP came out OK. Work that knee....

But if the 4-ways are separate from the brake light circuit they do work on the different bulbs. It seems to me that most American cars have the 4-ways tied into the brake light circuit.
This I know, I was driving a Ford (US car) and both the car behind me and the idiot who caused the crash had the same kind of light system, American.

I've driven both US and "other" cars. and am familure with both light systems.

Side note: Someone in one of the forums has a car with the independent light system. He was wondering about an adapter so his Motor home could control the brake lights.

If he were to install the US-Gear Unified brake Decelerator or the Roadmaster Invisible brake (Personally I like the uS gear but in truth they are close enough for "Either" to be recommended)
In fact most any system save the M&G.

When the motor home brakes, and the towed brakes are activated, the brake lights come on.... (The two I like both replenish battery power from the Motor home generator)

Thus, there is no need for an adapter.. The brake pedal.. Is it.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holy Cow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Wow. Hang in there! An atty can easily supeona those phone records. Text-caused accidents are all documented, by definition.

Amazing, how the knees are going, nowadays. I'll waiting until they have a DYI kit...

Next week will be better, I promise
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazing!! A complete knee replacement one day, and going for a short walk the very next day. Congratulations on successful surgery, sorry about the accident.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Interesting, I wonder if the officer could have checked the phone for the time of the last text massage or would she need a warrant.
I don't know the answer to that but I was wondering if there is any record if the messagre wasn't sent. He said he didn't see any cars so maybe he didn't look up before impact.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Amazing!! A complete knee replacement one day, and going for a short walk the very next day. Congratulations on successful surgery, sorry about the accident.
The surgion said they made a lot of improvement in tha last 3/4 years. A friend had his 2nd one in Nov. My DW was over to their house 10 days after surgery and he was upstairs ( he had walked by himself). My Dr. said I may be able to have 2nd done in 4 weeks. We will see. Hope it goes that well.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry about the crash. Fortunately, the damaged vehicle can be repaired/replaced.

Keep us informed about the knee. Mine is starting to bug me and is about due for an overhaul. Can't complain much, I got 25+ years out of the ACL replacement.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote