Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #15

Surviving on 30 Amp Power Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I will be attending the Tampa RV Supershow this year again, but with a different motorhome. I knew what I could run or not run with my past Tiffin, but the new Newmar has some different equipment. The two main differences are I now have a residential refrigerator and I have heat pumps now.

At the last two trips to Tampa I would immediately set the refrigerator and water heater to propane. I would also make sure the A/C was off when using anything else like the microwave, convection oven or the wife using her hair dryer. How will the RR affect this?

Also in the past I did not have to worry about heat, but this year it is to get into the low 40's a few nights. Before I would only run one A/C at a time and switch from the L/R one to the B/R one at night. Will the heat pumps work the same way?

Another concern is the slide operation on the Newmar. I have to be plugged in to operate them. Will the 30 Amp handle this OK or will I need to run my generator?

Also how much power does the water pump run? Will I need to shut off something when using it?

Plus what would I do with the coffee pot? I am sure I will not be running the A/C, but with the mornings being cold what about the heat pumps? My front furnace will not work, so I can't use it.

30 amps is a lot of power. My Fleetwood Flairs has house batteries and the generator for when I am not hooked up to shore power. The only thing with 30 amps?? Don't run 2 electric heaters at once, shut your air conditioner (AC) off when you use the microwave, turn the AC off when you use a hair dryer or other high voltage device. With 30 amp just use common sense and you'll be just fine. I've been doing the 30 AMP bit for as long as I can remember. Now I wouldn't use 50 amp ever again. I like 30 amp much better because unlike 50 you can get an adapter and actually plug into your house for low voltage purposes.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #16

Sounds to me like you need to get your old one back!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Coffee pot? Get a stovetop perculator. It makes better coffee anyway.
Ain't that the truth!! As far a power management goes you seem to have the right idea. We can get along on 20amp, & run the A/C. One has to be very very careful. All the usual tricks. Fridge on propane. Water heater on propane & only when needed, stove top peculator. Circuit breaker turned off for microwave. Lights only as needed so as not to need charger much. 30amp is easy.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #18

yes, I find the original heading 'Surviving on 30 amp power only' very telling.... the vast majority of RVs are only 30amp, if even that, any most folks 'survive' very well.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
. ...... I've been doing the 30 AMP bit for as long as I can remember. Now I wouldn't use 50 amp ever again. I like 30 amp much better because unlike 50 you can get an adapter and actually plug into your house for low voltage purposes.
You can plug a 50A coach into your house as well...just need two adapters together.

Our previous rig was a 30A Fifth Wheel...only one battery, and no Inverter.

When I say that our 50A coach can do more, when connected to 30A, or 20A...or Zero Amps (dry camping). I’m being very honest.

The only drawback of having a properly designed 50A RV is the added cost. Eight batteries, MS2812 Inverter with pass thru and boost features, Precision Circuits Load Center with load monitoring and shedding, and the Energy Management System (optional)... I admit it adds cost and complexity to the unit...but in the end it makes it much easier for the user.

My wife usually make our reservations...and in the beginning would worry when 50A wasn’t available . We’ve been to lots of parks, now, with 30A...and dry camped at the Balloon Fiesta... I think she realizes it’s not a big deal.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I would also be one to add a 50amp RV can very easily plug into a 15/20 amp home wall plug with a couple simple adapters.
I even carry a small 1500 watt 15 amp quiet generator to use instead of my 12000 watt onan on a cloudy day ( I have 1000 watts of solar) I charge my batteries while running a few appliance tv , etc .
Old 01-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
16ga is only good for 8-10a,, you should have nothing on an RV in orange, you need extension cords to be 12-14ga MIN (usually YELLOW). 1500w Heater/ devices (They draw 12-13a on HIGH) should NEVER be run on orange 16ga.
cords.
THenne1713 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #22

I will be at a rally and the ONLY power will be 30amp. There will not be any other options.

I mainly started this thread because I did not know how much power the residential refrigerator and heat pumps would use. I have done this before with a propane refrigerator and air conditioners with no issues. I know to only use certain appliances when nothing else is on.

I also know that I will only be able to run one heat pump or air conditioner at a time.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #23

Jayco Owners Club
About 13-15 amps on the heat pump (about the same as an air conditioner)

About 5 amps on the Refrigerator

About 3-5 amps to run the converter.

I don't see any problem. Have fun.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I will be at a rally and the ONLY power will be 30amp. There will not be any other options.

I mainly started this thread because I did not know how much power the residential refrigerator and heat pumps would use. I have done this before with a propane refrigerator and air conditioners with no issues. I know to only use certain appliances when nothing else is on.

I also know that I will only be able to run one heat pump or air conditioner at a time.
Will there be times when you can run your genny at the rally to supplement?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Will there be times when you can run your genny at the rally to supplement?
Yes
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #26

If your 2017 is set up the same as ours, and I don't know why it wouldn't be, the power management system will shed what it needs to if you are only hooked up to 30amp service. In other words, if you forget and have two furnace zones running in the morning, and you are in the shower, and your wife throws a cup of coffee into the mircrowave and then starts blow drying her hair the system will shed what it needs to, probably her outlet for the blowdryer first.

This was how they explained the system to me. I haven't tired to survive on 30amp service yet.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure what your Ventana has, but if your RR is a Samsung RF18, it only uses 1.1 A AC Max. There is a sticker inside the door of the fridge.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Surviving on 30 Amp Power Only?

One other thing your talking about using the heat pumps. Why? The heat pumps are just the same as the air conditioner..( kinda in reverse ) and large electric use. when on low power use the furnace ! It requires much less electricity ( only 12 volts at that). Yes it will use fuel propane or diesel instead , do you gave an oasis ? But better than the electric draw of a heat pump in this power available case.
I also agree many of he new inverter refrigerators use very little power compared to their older counterparts. People who haven’t used them still think in the old power Hungry compressor units usage.

Tags
power