Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

Swapping out Radio in RV

I have the smaller narrow radio and in the process of purchassing a newer one. Does the harness for the RV radios have to be a special type?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #2

Most radios in coaches ; Class A's are custom wired to the brand the manufacturer installs, unless you luck out and find a newer model of the same brand of radio that uses the came connectors , you're going to have to re-do all the wiring.
Class C's, may use ( Ford or Chev) factory harnesses which you can purchase adaptors for.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nothing special about the harness except.. EACH radio maker has thier own idea of what kind of plug and which wire goes to which pin.. THUS companies like Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras sell a wide assortment of adapt-a-harness cables. You may need an adapt-a-cable.

NOTE: the above applies no matter if it is an RV radio or a car radio.. It is a brand to brand and in some cases model to model thing.

You may also be able to cut and splice wires to a pigtail that comes with the new radio (How I would do it) I DO NOT recommend "Scotch Lock" type splices. (I like soldered splices myself)
Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #4

Most RVs come with an automotive radio installed in them. They may have a unique plug but the wires it uses should be the same, although the colors may be different.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Nothing special about the harness except.. EACH radio maker has thier own idea of what kind of plug and which wire goes to which pin.. THUS companies like Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras sell a wide assortment of adapt-a-harness cables. You may need an adapt-a-cable.

NOTE: the above applies no matter if it is an RV radio or a car radio.. It is a brand to brand and in some cases model to model thing.

You may also be able to cut and splice wires to a pigtail that comes with the new radio (How I would do it) I DO NOT recommend "Scotch Lock" type splices. (I like soldered splices myself)
Me too! In my case, I cut the harness off the old stereo (saving the plug and wires where it plugs to the RV chassis harness) and spliced it to the harness that came with the new radio ... solder and shrink tubing. I lengthened the harness at the same time because I centered the radio so driver and navigator can both reach it.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to captjsr
Captjsr

I just replaced my old radio. I had to cut wires on old plug and solder matching color wires and cover with shrink tubing. Works great.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Yep, harness plugs are much like car models from year to year. There are no real standards even within the same brand name. You will need to customize the connections more than likely.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I swapped out the am/fm cassette radio in my rv with a new pioneer am/fm/hd radio with cd and bluetooth. It was a simple swap and the instructions were complete and detailed enough that anyone could have installed it.
If you purchase through Crutchfield they have techs available to help you over the phone and lots of videos with installation tips on their website
Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #9

Yes I did the same thru Crutchfield. I also purchased their cables to make a neat and reversible electric installation for future upgrades by others. I did this twice between two MH's to upgrade the sound and capabilities. Definitely worth the effort. Biggest problem I had was finding a radio that had SCAN function. SEARCH function worthless on long drives in the plains states. I would have gone to a larger DIN radio if I had dash space but, I don't. I setteled on Blaupunkt single DIN CD playing radios w/Bluetooth and phone functions. It was a good move in both MH's...I also upgraded the four speakers GREATLY with three driver Kickers...and I can charge phones from the radio with it on or off while driving or using phone GPS as opposed to my aging Garmin.

Tags
radio