Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Sway bars

I have an '88 HR on a John Deere frame. I do not have sway (or anti-sway) bars on either front or back. I would like to add them to reduce the wandring. I found a set of Roadmaster's but thats all. Who are some of the other manufacturers and does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed and what I actually need?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hellwig, Addco and Elback are three manufacturers of anti sway bars...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #3

Do you need anti-sway bars or track bars? What do you mean by "wandering"? If the MH wanders around on the road, you might need a track bar in the rear.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #4

By wandering, I mean I am constantly having to correct steering and bring it back to center lane.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This brings up some more questions. I have learned that track bars and sway bars are not synonymous. I suspect there are lots of interactions to consider if one is trying to make their rig drive solid and straight. I would think that any movement in the back that is not strictly up and down will affect steering. Side to side movement (tracking) would appear to also be more pronounced with a toad. Sway (rolling) would also seem to cause wandering.

So...the question for me is what would be the best order of add ons/upgrades?

I'm not at my rig and so I can't look to verify anything but here are my assumption...stock rigs have say bars but they are not as heavy duty as aftermarket models are and they do NOT have track bars. That being said how does this sound for a logical progression of upgrades...

1. Add a rear track bar. The longer the over hang, the more impact?

2. Add a front track bar. Between the front and back additions, that should take care of tracking issues.

3. If the rig continues to feel like it wants to roll/yaw, then add rear sway bar.

4. Add front sway if needed to further reduce rolling.

This doesn't even take into consideration of steering assist. My best understanding of steering assist is that it can't stop wandering caused by excessive rear end movements. So, I would also think a combination of rear track and sway bars along with front end steering assist might make for a good combination.

Hey...its a working theory.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy1252 View Post
By wandering, I mean I am constantly having to correct steering and bring it back to center lane.
I think you would be well-served with a rear track bar first. This would keep you from wandering as much. A sway bar will keep you coach from rolling to the outside of a curve.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I will follow all of your excellent advice.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #8

You should also have your steering checked to see if it's too loose or if your steering damper is shot.