Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #15

Raining Star,

Is this post a joke? I don’t understand the concern.

You have 20K miles on your MH. You plan to put another 30K before you retire it.

I have two vehicles at home with over 150K each. The one is a ’96. I would not hesitate to drive either one anywhere (OK, I should get new tires on the PU if I were going to Alaska). Usually I am looking for a new vehicle around 200K, not because of mechanical problems but rust. I don’t see why a gas MH would be any different.

You just need to do normal maintenance (belt, hoses, fluid changes, etc.) and you should be good to go. You will never wear out the engine or transmission at your rate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Raining Star,

Is this post a joke? I donít understand the concern.

You have 20K miles on your MH. You plan to put another 30K before you retire it.

I have two vehicles at home with over 150K each. The one is a í96. I would not hesitate to drive either one anywhere (OK, I should get new tires on the PU if I were going to Alaska). Usually I am looking for a new vehicle around 200K, not because of mechanical problems but rust. I donít see why a gas MH would be any different.

You just need to do normal maintenance (belt, hoses, fluid changes, etc.) and you should be good to go. You will never wear out the engine or transmission at your rate.

No, sorry for the confusion. I put 20k on it since I bought it 3 years ago. It had 40k when I bought it.

My main concern isn't the power train, it's mostly all the aging house systems, plumbing, storage tanks, slides, heating system, gas fridge, etc.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
My main concern isn't the power train, it's mostly all the aging house systems, plumbing, storage tanks, slides, heating system, gas fridge, etc.
I predict you will have problems with at least some of those items over the next 6 to 10 years. But if your trusted rv tech says you're good, and you are comfortable with what you got - you can avoid the debt, fix what breaks, and enjoy.

Me? I would want to drive some newer chassis models for comparison. Maybe get a small loan to upgrade to a nicer MH that also handles better. Ten years and 30,000 miles is a lot of driving time ahead.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #18

Would agree with the suggestion to perhaps consider just upgrading to a late model, low mileage well cared for coach. There are great rigs available in the $60-$90 thousand range which might be a much better fit financially than jumping into something new for considerably more money.

Ultimately the question is whether upgrading would significantly enhance the enjoyment of your lifestyle. Both physically and emotionally. When we upgraded recently from a fantastic low mileage Bounder to our new 2010 Siena, we were amazed by how much we really like our new coach.

If a newer coach would make life easier and more enjoyable, then I say go for it.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:56 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With the money spent on another coach you could have many, many good years with the old coach. You know it, like it. Why change? Keep it and have a great trip on some of the money saved by not buying another. Good luck with your choice.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
With the money spent on another coach you could have many, many good years with the old coach. You know it, like it. Why change? Keep it and have a great trip on some of the money saved by not buying another. Good luck with your choice.

That's where my thoughts seem to be leading for the moment. I think the one factor that I can't move passed is the uncertainty of replacing the proven reliability of my existing coach with the crapshoot chance of finding an equally sound replacement, which appears unlikely in a used unit. I've been a new car guy for twenty years after a few decades of trying to save a few bucks by buying someone else's cast off. That mentality colors my opinion on my luck in buying another reliable used RV.

When I consider that what is to be gained by upgrading amounts to little more than appearance alone, for I have only one complaint in the comfortable ride department (that 3 speed transmission) I just can't justify many tens of thousands of dollars (at least) trying to overcome it.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand the desirability of a new coach, and had my finances been as plush as my desires I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to indulge in one of the shiny beauties. But I think given the realities of my misspent professional life I'm better served to just replace the sofa with some powered recliners and revisit the subject of replacing the old girl in another year or two.

Now we all know that in reality that DW will have a thing or two to say on this subject, which may have me back here in a month or two seeking advice on a new rig after all. Until then I'll just head to bed with visions of my old rig one day being the envy of the vintage RV crowd, and sleep soundly without the pressure of another $150,000 loan disturbing my sleep.

Thanks for all the informed opinions and for just letting me work through my thought process aloud. Don't hesitate to chime in with more input as I'm sure once I wake up my mind will still be bouncing this same stuff around for a little longer still.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #21

Triple E Owners Club
If your coach is a 1999 Ford f53 with the v10, you have a 4 speed transmission. The best thing you could do is get the 5 Star tune for your rig. It will improve the transmission shifting greatly.

If you decide to keep yours, I would also recommend doing the "chf" and installing a rear track bar. Check your sway bar bushings and shocks.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
I don't have as many issues with my 20 year old MH as those with new ones
Amen!!!
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, I'll look into the 5 star tune (up?) you recommend. I'm unfamiliar with it. Four speed you say? Can my 61 year old brain really be failing me at such an alarming rate.

I considered the CHF when I first read about it three years ago, but for reasons unremembered I decided against it. Oh, to once again have the excellent memory I used to falsely claim I had.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
The best thing you could do is get the 5 Star tune for your rig. It will improve the transmission shifting greatly.

I just read their ad. I'm completely at a loss of how this thing works. I understand about reading values through it, but how is it altering anything?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. You've owned the rig and know its foibles. You can replace a hot water heater, refrigerator and furnace a lot cheaper than you can upgrade to a newer coach. And whose to say the newer coach systems wont' have problems after you buy.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I think the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. You've owned the rig and know its foibles. You can replace a hot water heater, refrigerator and furnace a lot cheaper than you can upgrade to a newer coach. And whose to say the newer coach systems wont' have problems after you buy.

I agree, even having to replace the power train (which seems completely unlikely) would be cheaper than replacing the vehicle. Certainly possibly replacing some appliances and such would be inconsequential by comparison.

Okay, you've convinced. Would you be willing to explain it to my wife now? 😉

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #27

Triple E Owners Club
Sweet 16 and Getting Older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
I just read their ad. I'm completely at a loss of how this thing works. I understand about reading values through it, but how is it altering anything?

It reprograms the ecu for the engine and transmission. It changes the shift points. They also claim 30 more hp after the tune.

All the info you need is in the ford chassis forum.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
It reprograms the ecu for the engine and transmission. It changes the shift points. They also claim 30 more hp after the tune.

All the info you need is in the ford chassis forum.

Thank you, Rod, I never knew you could write instructions through that connection, I thought it was read only.
I don't know why I assumed that.

Dang, now I wish I knew that before I bought the monitor I already have connected to it. I may still upgrade with the 5 Star and just eBay the other one.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)