Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #29

Triple E Owners Club
There was a group discount going on for the 5 star on this forum. I am not sure if it is still on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
If you are retired or close to it and have the means, I say do it. When we draw our last breath, nothing matters but the memories we created. You worked hard, enjoy yourself. You both like the idea of the shiny new coach, you cant enjoy it when your gone. I bought a new 2014 and had a punch list of things that needed fixing. Most were small adjustments and minor fixes. Once the few bugs were worked out in the first few months, the coach has been flawless.
This and you stated that the DW was wanting / liking a new coach. Around my house that rules. Sounds like your trying to tell her no "because"...... and looking for the good reason.
If, I say if you can afford it, what else are you going to do with the money ? I can't count the number of people I've seen refuse to do anything to save money..get by with the old ..fill in the blank... ones that have no need to save money. a lifetime of getting by. If your retired and CAN afford it, your coming to the end of the road.( sorry to be blunt but I'm there too) you worked your whole life for what ? isn't now the time to "responsibly" Live life with the income and assets you worked for ? I'll bet the DW doesn't care about how much better the engine will run on the old one! she wants a little more "nice". see rule number one.
Just another possibility everyone should consider ... maybe.

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
This and you stated that the DW was wanting / liking a new coach. Around my house that rules. Sounds like your trying to tell her no "because"...... and looking for the good reason.
If, I say if you can afford it, what else are you going to do with the money ? I can't count the number of people I've seen refuse to do anything to save money..get by with the old ..fill in the blank... ones that have no need to save money. a lifetime of getting by. If your retired and CAN afford it, your coming to the end of the road.( sorry to be blunt but I'm there too) you worked your whole life for what ? isn't now the time to "responsibly" Live life with the income and assets you worked for ? I'll bet the DW doesn't care about how much better the engine will run on the old one! she wants a little more "nice". see rule number one.
Just another possibility everyone should consider ... maybe.

I agree fully with the sentiment but there's more to it than that. Three years ago we bought a used RV to try the life style and she immediately wanted to sell the house and buy a new $220k RV and full time. I waited since I'm not retired yet.

Then last year she didn't want a new RV anymore, she wanted to build a new home in a gated adult community, so I said yes to that and we are now invested to the tune of 300k. Now after six months in the new house she's bored with that and wants to sell the house and buy a new RV again. I'm all for pleasing my dear wife, she most certainly does deserve it, but one of us has to be serious and consistent. We can afford a decent retirement lifestyle but we sure as heck can't afford every retirement lifestyle.

As to what else I can do with the money, both my wife and I are from long lived families and there needs to be something left after years of road trips and cruises come to an end so we aren't a burden to family. I know I sound like a stick in the mud, but as the nerdy kids say nowadays "Winter is coming."

Thanks for the comment, I do need to be mindful of her desires too. As I said earlier if my finances were as plush as my desire I'd by a new rig tomorrow. Already have several chosen

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #32

I'm nowhere near the age you are but I understand your predicament. We went through the same back and forth before trading our previous trailer for a new one. I tried to convince myself we could keep it another 2-3 seasons and then upgrade. In reality we could have and probably with minimal issues. We will enjoy the new trailer SOOO much more with all the new bells and whistles

I think your biggest hold up is the new house. Most big time rv'ers plan to be debt free before they buy "the big one" or their last coach.
Later in life we plan to be mortgage free for a few years and buy our potentially last RV in our early 60's Lord willing.

Maybe you can look at higher end coaches 5-7 years old. You should be able find a nice 2011 or so Tiffin, Newmar, or Winnie gas MH way under $100k.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
I'm nowhere near the age you are but I understand your predicament. We went through the same back and forth before trading our previous trailer for a new one. I tried to convince myself we could keep it another 2-3 seasons and then upgrade. In reality we could have and probably with minimal issues. We will enjoy the new trailer SOOO much more with all the new bells and whistles

I think your biggest hold up is the new house. Most big time rv'ers plan to be debt free before they buy "the big one" or their last coach.

Later in life we plan to be mortgage free for a few years and buy our potentially last RV in our early 60's Lord willing.

Maybe you can look at higher end coaches 5-7 years old. You should be able find a nice 2011 or so Tiffin, Newmar, or Winnie gas MH way under $100k.

I have a very different idea concerning later life financing. When we die I want to be fully indebted, everything financed and refinanced to the max. The wife's kids don't want or need our home or vehicles, they want their mom to spend it all. All they want is some of her art. My situation is similar, so our wills will be about bestowing blessings, not prizes.

Of course our retirement income must easily provide for all our monthly expenses, but corpses have no need of equity. When I die I want to know that at least my banker will be crying at my funeral.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #34

Whatever you do I wouldn't get rid of the house. Even if you take off for months at a time, you will always have a house to come back to. Being in a gated community is a plus, if you are gone on long trips. Even in a slow economy you won't be wasting money on the house as it will still appreciate, and give you some tax advantages. I know a lot of the full timers will bag on this idea, but we are financially sound and will always have our house to fall back on for later in life when we choose to not RV as much or at all. I know some say just bank the money and when you make that decision to move back into a S&B, you can always buy a small condo or rent an apartment. I cannot imagine going from living in the great outdoors, even though it may be in a MH, to living the cramped style of an apartment or condo.

I'm a lot like you when you said "one of us has to be serious and consistent", as my wife sounds much like yours. Although I don't know your financial ability, I think you can do both though as it sounds like you are very prudent when it comes to finances, and take it seriously. So really at this point do whatever it is that can make you both happy and still be able to enjoy the MH on a part time basis with several long trips each year.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Whatever you do I wouldn't get rid of the house. Even if you take off for months at a time, you will always have a house to come back to. Being in a gated community is a plus, if you are gone on long trips. Even in a slow economy you won't be wasting money on the house as it will still appreciate, and give you some tax advantages. I know a lot of the full timers will bag on this idea, but we are financially sound and will always have our house to fall back on for later in life when we choose to not RV as much or at all. I know some say just bank the money and when you make that decision to move back into a S&B, you can always buy a small condo or rent an apartment. I cannot imagine going from living in the great outdoors, even though it may be in a MH, to living the cramped style of an apartment or condo.

I'm a lot like you when you said "one of us has to be serious and consistent", as my wife sounds much like yours. Although I don't know your financial ability, I think you can do both though as it sounds like you are very prudent when it comes to finances, and take it seriously. So really at this point do whatever it is that can make you both happy and still be able to enjoy the MH on a part time basis with several long trips each year.

The other reason I won't sell the sticks and bricks (actually steel and stucco) is I worry about a medical disaster wiping out our savings. They can't take the house, so in a near worse case scenario the house is a better option for us than a rapidly depreciating RV in a rented campground.

Yes I know we can buy a home for the RV, and that's a good choice for some. For us, we've built what we built, and now we have to defend the castle we have. Conquering new lands is a thing of the past for me.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #36

On a lighter note,,,, We were debt free,, till I wanted a new pickup,,, and a new 5th wheel.. We had reasons behind our madness.. We knew our older 95 Class A... I did many mechanical upgrades... Served us very well... But we needed more room... The way I see it this will be our last vehicle. (my last) I'm 57) I have a few years left to work no matter what,,, why not get what makes you happy???? Sure I read the forums about new rv problems,,, but you get that with about anything... So far we found a couple screws loose... "So Far" we are good... I Love my new truck,,, and WE love our new RV..... HER kids are grown up,,, so to speak,, I plan on spending what I work hard for so we can enjoy it... SO,,,, if you want a new (newer) RV,, I say Go For It !!!! Just do a little research on the brand/model....
Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote