Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #1

Swivel-wheel trailer

Firstly,merry ho-ho to all and a happy new year! Anyone out there have or better yet built a swivel wheel trailer? I saw it on a website Double Hitch Company and it looks like a real good solution for hauling the golf cart behind the fiver. i would appreciate photos if possable.

Thanks in advance

Red Green:"All it takes is a little imagination,
some mechanical ability, and neighbors
who mind their own business"
MPI_Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Probably about 50 years ago there was a similar trailer that attached to the rear bumper of a car. But, IIRC, only had a single swiveling wheel. That was back in the "good old days" when vehicles had a real back bumper.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might be interested in viewing: Swivelwheel Trailers at Discount-Trailers.Com
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't neglect to check out Idaho Tote, which has 2 turning wheels. I haven't seen any better but I haven't looked much either.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:15 AM   #5

Darn, I just posted a complete write up on Fast Masters of Katy, Texas. Under the topic of "Take your toy with you" or something like that. Found it How to take the new toy too.

Check out their stuff, pretty awesome. Similar to Double Hitch, but I like these better.

The ultimate motorcycle RV transportation system.

They have gobs of stuff to drool over.

Options include ramps that stow on the trailer, winch to pull the Goldwing/Harley up on the trailer. All have signal lights.

Each of the trailer wheels has an independent suspension to allow for different load heights in turns and road dips.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #6

Swivel Trailer

I should have mentioned that i'm in Ontario Canada and importing one of these ready-made trailers would be a major pain in the can with the our boy's in Ottawa trying to squeeze out every penny from their population and also honerable son #1 is a master welder and he figures we can knock one of these off for under a grand without much fuss so what i'm really looking for is someone who has built one and grab some ideas. The swivel trailer from double hitch with some modifcations looks like a terrific solution to hauling the cart,BBQ and mountain bikes and when i build it i'll make sure to post the results! Happy New Year!!!!!!!

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...
MPI_Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Swivel wheel trailer

My son built one to go behind his toybox 5er. He used it for about a year then rebuilt it into a conventional trailer. The overswing behind the toybox was scary to say the least.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don;t know if I would trust the "Double Hitch". The ball hitch is a conventional hitch but the way they are using it is rotated 90 degrees from vertical. I would install a latching rod across the two hitch bars to prevent them from separating.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree the with Stuhly about the overswing. I would also be carefull about the attachment point on your fiver. Without knowing more about your fiver I would guess the rear bumper on it is not going to support much without some reinforcement. We used to pull a motorcycle trailer behind a traver trailer which was pulled by a pickup truck. It worked very well after adding a heavy duty rear bumper to the travel trailer and my son now uses that same combo after we upgraded to our motorhome. I would look into that arrangement if I were you as the second trailer followed the travel trailer very well and the wheels followed the same path around corners. If I had pulled it through snow I doubt you would have known I pulled 2 trailers at the same time just by looking at the wheel tracks- it pulled that well around corners.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #10

This past summer, my brother (a master welder) and I built an ATV hauler using the parts from Double Hitch and Northern Tool. The web site at www.doublehitch.com listed all the parts from Northern Tool that are needed. We also installed a receiver hitch on the back of our 34' Challenger. I love this follow-behind-trailer but I did some things wrong:
1) I used 3" 3/8 thick square tubing which is way to heavy, it reduces the amount that the trailer can carry. I should have used 2" X 1/8. That would have carried all the weight I need.
2) I must not have measured correctly for the hitch arms - it does not follow stright. It has a tendency to pull the 5er to the side when there is a sharp turn. I have to keep the speed at 60 mph or less to feel safe. I normally do not drive faster then this anyway. Next summer I'm going to remeasure and reweld the hitch arms.
3) I used cheap Harbour Freight drop support wheels (it takes two). I'll be replacing these with 2 each 2,000# ones that have dual wheels each. Probably from Northern Tool. These are important because to mount/dismount the trailer you must be able to move it to the side a number of inches on any type of ground.
4) I will need to redo the pintal (from Northern Tool)- this is the thing that the hitch arm bolts to that forms a "T" that goes into the receiver hitch. It is adjustable up and down but I don't think it is low enought. Maybe part of the not following stright problem.

I think I have about $1,500 in it. Can't find another that cheap.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #11

Here is more info:
We built this so that it is 8' wide and 6' long. 8' so I can slide the parts for my wind generator mast into the square tubes and 6' so it is not too long and I can still get my Yamaha Grizzly on it. It is wide enought to hold the Griz and two outdoor storage boxes that hold the rest of the generator. I'd like to show pics but it is covered with snow right now. We have decided not to take it south (if we ever get to go!) until I can fix it next summer.

PS - I just looked outside and it is really snowing. I gota get outa here!
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #12

The guy we bought our first rig (a 26' Class C) from had a swivel-wheel trailer that he towed three snowmobiles on. I didn't look too closely, as that's not my hobby, and he was holding onto the trailer.

The MH had two hitches in the back that lined up directly with the frame extensions from the E350 chassis. There was also a conventional centerline hitch. I think the trailer had two hook-ups, using the outer hitch receptacles. That would have kept the trailer lined up with the MH and the swivel wheels would have allowed it to track through turns.

The other feature I remember vaguely is thet the swivel wheels were on air shocks so thet the trailer coud be pre-loaded to ride about level. Since it was on conventional hitch balls, there would be not much of the trailer's load being transferred into the MH frame in a downward bending moment.