Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Sword fight between Entegra and Newmar?

After sitting reading another thread this morning on which coach to buy, cost savings of 40k-80k when buying a Entegra over a Newmar, I am just wondering why Newmar is the only one involved in these Entegra questions? Always, the end result of the thread, is that one can buy the same or even better quality(Entegra) for a lot less money? Through out life, I was told at a young age "you get just what you pay for" and it has just about held true on anything I have ever bought, there has been thread after thread, posts through out the forum about this sword fight between the two, Winnebago was like the ski-doo's of the RV world at one time, everything (RV'S) used to be referred to as a Winnebago.....,
Then Newmar invented the slide out..... and the big wide Coach world took off.........Newmar has been around for a long time, heading into a 2nd generation of family, and is proven themselves. Is this the reason for the cost difference? Is it quality?
There has been a couple that has had Entegra's and traded and bought a Newmar........ but in my following here, I have not seen one Newmar owner sell and buy a Entegra? I might of missed it if someone did? I am hoping someone can post that has went either way and for what reason, There has to be a reason a King Aire is 250k-300k MSRP than the Cornerstone? I have read, where this is a better bang for your buck, but it seems the comparison is always done with Newmar? What about all the others out there? I understand the Entegra family is a first time generation and a new kid on the block trying to embed a mark in the RV world. Usually , the big kid on the block picks on the small kid on the block......., but not in this case as I can see. I wrote this post to receive answers to the oblivious posting's we all read everyday on here, so lay the swords down and try to answer to this thread if you would like..........
This thread was not wrote to start anything or to be combative in comments, but just to try to bury the sword for good.......if that is possible?

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't believe there is any sword to be buried. For whatever reasons, varied for sure, there will be folks who are loyal to Newmar, Winnebago, Entegra, etc. based on their experiences, preferences, bias, whatever. I believe it is human nature to defend that on which you have spent mucho dollars .

From what I am reading on these forums, it appears that Entegra has struck a wonderful balance of build quality, good looks, creature-features and, most importantly, outstanding customer service. In these days of what seems to be declining attention to a customer, I think that is really helping them. The reports of Entegra contacting customers and offering to send techs to the customer to check for a potential problem with the roof is pretty amazing. It also seems that Entegra's adoption of what many folks felt was the best of Travel Supreme is a plus for them.

As far as why comparable Newmar coaches command a higher price, someone who has more experience with the differences in how they are designed and built, would have to try and justify that.

In either case, it appears RV buyers have two great choices between these brands.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Thom and I have been looking at upgrading. We have an older Monaco right now. We've looked at pretty much all the manufacturers out there ie Newmar, Entegra, Thor etc. At the very bottom of our list is Newmar. For us there was not as much storage space and they just looked and felt cheaper, that was our impression after viewing quite a few of the different models. Entegra is up there on our lists but honestly if we could get another, newer Monaco we would.
Right now thou things are sorta of in the air as to what we might go with. We may end up needing a bunk model as we may end up taking our friends 2 kids for him. His wife (also our friend) just passed after battling stage 4 cancer for 3 years and he has a muscle wasting thing going on so we may have 2 small children to take care of.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Entegra is made by Jayco at its Middlebury manufacturing facility .... they are able to drastically cut materials cost via volume buying and management cost because that expense is born over a much larger production of campers .... they have streamlined their entire operation to make it much more efficient than most .... in short, more of your money buys camper and doesn't have to cover corporate overhead and profit .... they also seem to take quality production a major point of emphasis

'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS
JEBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Nor'easters Club
I recently was in Camp Bay View...ie repair bays at Lazydays. I was trying to have warranty work done on my Winnebago Tour. Joining me were 7 Entegra owners...all I heard was Praise for Entegra! It was like a CULT...All new coaches have issues...smlranger post #2 above is right..Entegra seems to have found THE right balance.
2016 Entegra Anthem 44B
08 Jeep Wrangler,14 Buick Enclave
Bailey our Boston Terrier
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
No sword fight, each MH has there specifics. I owned the Travel Supreme for 10 years, the guys that came from Newmar, and now I will own one of their new coaches, the Entegra. Both are equal in my opinion. If I needed a custom floor plan or anything else custom, it would be a Newmar, no question. As for the statement you get what you pay for, that is true. Entegra does NO customization only what comes off of the very streamlined production line, therefore cutting cost which they pass on to their customers. I like that, so I choose a floorplan that suited our needs and saved $60,000. If there is something I want to change in the "as is" floorplan, I have $60,000 to to that with.

With a MH of that price range, the two year warranty of the Entegra gives me twice as much confidence in the product. Those that are pleased with the Newmar there is no reason to jump ship, just like there was no reason for me being a very satisfied Travel Supreme owner.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Entegra and Newmar have better build quality than the others in my opinion. I do all my own work on our coaches so I see the good and bad. You can tell the difference just by walking the showroom. The fit and finish is very good on both manufactures. Entegra is a streamline operation,Very efficient assembly line. You are not allowed to make any changes because they are not set up for that. This all translates to a lot of bang for the buck. Newmar on the other hand will do just about anything you want. They are set up to build something custom for the client. This takes away from their potential efficiency. The unfortunate thing is I think Entegra prices are on the rise. They have a large back log of orders and supply in demand will take over. As for Monaco, that ship has sailed. The old Monaco was just great. The new Monaco just cant seem to get it together. They have been sold multiple times in the hope the new buyer can turn it around. We own a Monaco and its been a good coach. We have ordered a new Entegra to replace it since we felt it was the best bang for the buck.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The business models are different. Newmar more options in the build while Entegra appears to have lots of standard stuff but less ability to customize. The previous postings seem to address this very well.

I think the "battle lines" for buyers will be in whether they can find the floor plan they like and maybe how much they can tweak it. A second important consideration will be customer service. Entegra appears to be garnering a lot of happy customers based on the support after the purchase but Newmar is no slouch in that area either.

Some folks are questioning Newmar's move towards Freightliner Chassis with the DSDPs and below. A sales manager was out a Newmar luncheon last week in the Rio Grande Valley area and said that Freightliner was committed to better serving the RV users. Not to start a separate battle of FL vs Spartan but my reading of various threads seems to indicate that FL service centers can sometimes put RVs on the back burner when busy. I don't know that for a fact it just seems that FL has not demonstrated consistent RV friendly facilities and attitudes...yet.

Personally, I am not a huge proponent of making Comfort Drive a major issue in the tag axle MH comparison. It is nice but I don't think it should be an excessively weighted point in the Newmar vs Entegra comparisons. According to the Newmar sales guy, both FL and Spartan have picked up an exclusive agreement with Newmar for CD that will expire in May of either 2014 or 2015 but I don't remember which. After that point, we will see if CD systems will become more widespread...assuming another agreement isn't reached. BTW, in non-tag MHs, CD might be more important but for now, Entegra is exclusively tag axle oriented unless they have something up their sleeve that I haven't heard of.

In the end, I am ecstatic that Entegra is off to a great start. Competition is in the best interest of all of us. I think the validation of the Entegra line and concept is still a couple years away when used Entegra's start hitting the market. I also would look to see how Entegra ramps up its customer service as more units hit the roads. But until then, I am happy for my Entegra owning friends.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
We are looking seriously at both Entegra and Newmar within the next year or two. As others have said Entegra suffers from a lack of floorplans and a rigid attitude toward model options. That stance has helped their ability to sell a quality unit at a good price.

From our perspective, Newmar offers the buyer something between the Aspire and the Anthem in features. A loaded Aspire has an MSRP of $350,000 and an Anthem is $450,000. I can equip a Dutch Star with many Anthem like features for just under $400,000. That makes the Dutch Star an attractive option for those of us that want more than the Aspire offers, but not as much as the Anthem costs.

For us the Spartan chassis under the Entegra is a plus. The two year warranty is a huge plus. However, we can only find one floor plan that will work for us to comfortably sleep four and maybe six and that is in a 45 foot Anthem which is more than we want to spend and we would rather avoid a 45 footer if possible. Bottom line will be what trade offs are we willing to make to buy one as opposed to the other. Both companies are quality and excellent manufacturers.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #10
Well newmars can be had at about 25% off MSRP, I heard the Entegra's went with much bigger discounts, anyone care to say what they were finding discount wise?
HR Endeavor 38CDS - 330 Cat - Aero Muffler
Miata close behind | 585W solar w/Kid Controller
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Well newmars can be had at about 25% off MSRP, I heard the Entegra's went with much bigger discounts, anyone care to say what they were finding discount wise?

It's going to be interesting to see if Newmar discounts become higher since RVOne bought Tampa RV and will now have Newmars in both Albany (NY) and Tampa stores. They are vey aggressive in pricing and it will be interesting to see if they are as aggressive on the Newmars as they have been on Entegra and Berkshires.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
Received quote from RVOne on a Ventana LE. Options 25%, Coach nothing. I walked.
2016 Dutch Star 4369
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #13
It could very well be that the discounts on Newmars are capped at 25% while the discount on an Entegra seems to be more in the 30-35% range. If that is the case, the Dutch Star at $400,000 would be discounted to $300,000. The Anthem at $450,000 would be discounted by 33%, as an example, and would also be at $300,000. That would tilt the scale for me to the Anthem.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
Nerwmar & Entegra Pricing

I speak as a potential buyer for one or other of these manufacturers. I hear what people say about the customisation/fixed models having an effect on procession overheads as well as Jayco's larger output over which to spread costs. I also understand, as has also been pointed out, that Entegra prices are creeping upward. This looks to me like a re-run of the auto market over the last few years. In Europe, Merc & BMW command higher prices than VW/Audi or Honda/Toyota. But look what's happening, Audi prices are increasing as their brand gets better recognition, as is Honda & Toyota prices, especially with their Lexus brand. Merc quality for one has had to improve to keep up/ahead. Pricing is very often set at what the market can stand rather than what the actual sell price should be based on costs & ROI etc. I can only hope that either or both coach vendors meet my expectations when I finally see them in the flesh! Entegra doing well should also keep Newmar at the top of their game as well. This has to be a good thing for buyers & RV quality in general. All IMO of course!

Andy 'n' Alison. Lancashire, England
UKGuy is offline   Reply With Quote