Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #1

It is time to change the oil in my Yamaha EF-2500 generator. Synthetic oil has become quite popular in the years since its purchase 14 years ago, there is no mention of it in the owners manual. MY QUESTION IS: Would synthetic oil be better ...or maybe be harmful to use as a replacement for the 30W non-detergent the manual recommends? Are any of you using synthetic in your generator? ...if so, what oil weight?

I am looking for an answer specifically to the use of synthetic oil ...please do not reply with a simple answer such as ..."best you use what the manufacture recommends" ...I try to keep in mind that better products will come to light as years go by.

Rich

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #2

It is time to change the oil in my Yamaha EF-2500 generator. Synthetic oil has become quite popular in the years since its purchase 14 years ago, there is no mention of it in the owners manual. MY QUESTION IS: Would synthetic oil be better ...or maybe be harmful to use as a replacement for the 30W non-detergent the manual recommends? Are any of you using synthetic in your generator? ...if so, what oil weight?

I am looking for an answer specifically to the use of synthetic oil ...please do not reply with a simple answer such as ..."best you use what the manufacture recommends" ...I try to keep in mind that better products will come to light as years go by.

Rich

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

Old 02-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #3

Rich,

My past experience with putting synthetic oil in old engines has not been very good. Synthetic has different seal swell then regular blends and can lead to sudden oil seal failure. Synthetic could also dislodge the 14 years of non-detergent residue that may have accumulated in your engine and lead to a catastrophic failure. You way want to get Yamaha's opinion on this and see how the manufacturer feels about it. My knee-jerk is to leave well enough alone and only after the next rebuild consider a switch to the synthetic.

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #4

To; Rich & Zara;

If you have seen my postings re; synthetics, I am a firm believer in them. I used to do some racing and engine rebuilds and have a racing cousin that started me on them when Mobil first introduced synthetics.

I use synthetic in every engine, new or used, just watch for first 500 miles or 20 hours to spot and cure any problem with older engine.

Engines run cooler, less friction, stay cleaner, last longer and require less tear-downs.

A little more money initially, but what time and money would you lose if you had a problem that synthetics may have avoided??

Hope this info helps

Thanks ======AJBJRVERS
Old 02-06-2006, 05:15 AM   #5

I use amzoil 10/30 weight oil in my Honda 2800-seems to start easier.I use the generator every day camping while hunting-two weeks-and it runs until the tank runs dry.I have never had a problem with the oil leaking or anything else.The ambient temps run from below 0 to the 30 degree range and it always starts first pull.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #6

Mobil 1 Syn. 10W30 is the recommended oil for our Kippor.

Mike
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 6MISFITZ:
Mobil 1 Syn. 10W30 is the recommended oil for our Kippor.

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and that is what I put in my Yamaha EF-2500 and I'm sure it will work out fine.

Thanks to all those that replied.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

Old 02-19-2006, 04:43 PM   #8

When I switched to Mobil 1 the generator started much easier and quicker than on the regular Onan motor oil. It was also a little quieter while running. I switched at 250 hours and now have 325 hours. So far so good. I also use Mobil 1 in my Surburban. I have not switched the V10 Ford engine in MH but will on the next oil change.

2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
winnipooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #9

What I have heard from the synthetic guru's while doing research on the same subject. 1)Old motor - DO-NOT. Will loosen deposits which could damage ring set. Royal Purple rep stated it would only expose a pre-existing problem. 2)Should not be used in air cooled engines. Personal thought - Heat breaks down oil/Synthetic runs cooler. In the south Texas heat its not rocket science. I use Royal Purple 30W in a Genrac 6500 and started at 70hrs with 110hrs now no leaks.Used Mobil 1 10W-30 in 5500 Genrac in toy hauler before selling with 370 hrs no problems. Generator systems at work that are propane briggs, 10K and 12K state synthetic 10W-30 only. Also run Amzoil or Mobil 1 in several other vehicles but have been afraid to switch the 1994 F350D over at 150,000 mi. Keep the dust on ya boot
pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Anybody consider using Harley Davidson Synthetic oil in the generator ? Its formulated for air cooled engines. I have used their 20w50 petrolium based for years in the generator, no probs at all. It is for air cooled's too.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run Amsoil in my Harley, am planning on Amsoil
in my generator and transmission, and when I get a few more miles on the motorhome I plan on using it on the engine in that too. I'm no expert, but have read some about synthetics, Amsoil states there is no other oil made thats better, and nobody's challenged that statement. And it's less expensive than some others. I firmly believe my Harley runs smoother and quieter ( engine noise that is- not exhaust ) with synthetic than it did with dino oil.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
I know, I ran Amsoil when Harley told me it would ruin my engine. You know, roller bearings would skid and all that crap ! Now they got there own syn oil, lmao, oh well. I do run the HD 240 in my lawn mowers and my generators, its some really tough stuff.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote