RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #1

Question Tabletop Washer and Dryer ?????

Hello all,
I was cruising through Amazon last night and searched under "RV Accessories" and I was amazed to stumble across what I call table top or cabinet top miniature washer and dryer units. I had no idea such things existed so Im curious does anyone on the forum have any experience , good or bad , with these things ??????

Norvyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 12:29 AM   #2

I have a table top dishwasher. It's not the fastest, but it does a good job. I would be skeptical about a table top close washer and dryer though. I know they make RV model close washers and dryers, but I've heard that they only wash very small loads, do a marginal job, and aren't too quick about it. I don't see how a table top version would be any better. Then again, I've never had one, so take what I said with a grain or two of salt.

Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #3

don't waist your money.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #4

Go to the YouTube.com site and search 'portable washer for rv' and many video will appear. It seems like a hassle to me. You'd have to store it somewhere and deal with hooking it up to water. Here's one:

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #5

Hey Twogypsies,

Thanks for the feedback - the YouTube video gave the best feedback and its clear that the whole process is simply too much hassle for too little gain. I could drive to a local laundromat, do far more laundry with far less effort .
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-17-2019, 09:56 PM   #6

Hi, Steve!
Kinda late to the party, yet still - in our last 5th wheel we had a Splendide combo washer/dryer and did not like it. The cycles took much too long and its hard to figure out.
Currently we have a separate Spendide washer and dryer vent installed. Takes up more room than the combo unit, but the cloths come out of the dryer way less wrinkled and in general that's much more practical. If you're full timing, it might be a nice solution.
Still I have to agree - washer requires a very SMALL load if it's going to dry properly. We tend to hang our shirts/pants out to dry whenever possible, so we can do a larger load. And always look for an express wash setting. The cycle is much shorter and still it cleans perfectly.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #7

Hi Wintersoul,
Thanks for responding -- prior to purchasing my RV I want to look at all options as I will be doing this full time and laundry becomes an unknown dilemna if the RV I purchase does not have the capability for a washer/dryer . So when I was poking around Amazon the other evening I stumbled cross what I call a table top unit -- very small in size and capacity but wondered if it was a potential option. After watching a few YouTube videos I quickly saw what a pain they could be and probably not worth the cost or effort. I do look forward to hearing from everyone and anyone here on IRV2 -- surely there are additionaly options besides wasting an afternoon at the local laundramat.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-18-2019, 12:21 AM   #8

We full-timed 16 years and used laundramats... not because we had to but because we wanted to. We could do 10 days - 2 weeks of clothes in 2 hours time and not have to think about it again. With an onboard washer/dryer you're doing laundry all the time. During our 2 hours we'd do errands or catch up on reading. We used the small town laundries which were always clean - never found one that wasn't. They had the huge washers with many rinses. Plus, we dry camped a lot so didn't have water/sewer connections.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I really do like my Splendide washer and dry set. For years and years we did laundry in laundromats, and I had a few really spectacular failures (previous user left things in washer that damaged my clothes, dryers that were so hot things shrunk, etc.). Not often, but enough. Now I can do our laundry in a day while we are doing other things. The loads are smaller than my big units at home, but we do 8-10 shirts at once, and 4-6 pairs of jeans at once (depending on whether Kevin’s heavy jeans or my lighter ones are in the mix). Add a load of underwear, towels, and sheets once every couple of weeks, and that is it. We have a tendency to dry camp for 5-7 days then go to a full hookup campground for a couple of days to dump, shop, etc. Loads are a couple of hours to dry (being on 110), but we start one in the morning, do another after breakfast, and finish the last 2 at night. Done without traveling, and my knit shirts no longer shrink! I have even done washer loads while dry camping if I have enough water and tank space. Handy when we are going between dry camping spots where we can pick up water and dump like state parks.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #10

TwoGypsies ,
Your response makes perfect sense -- an additional benefit of using a laundramat is not having the maintenance expense plus the weight/storage space of a table top unit. Sometime things look good in the advertisement but then reality is the best advertsement.
Thanks,Steve
Old 09-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

Zeny portable washer

Thought I'd chime in... We have just started traveling in our Isata 5 (not full time).

Laundromats are OK, but, I don't like sitting there for a couple hours while getting things done when I could be doing almost anything else. I would not like to leave my laundry unattended. You don't know what was in the machines before you, etc. and in a strange place (not a warm-fuzzy for me)

We have decided on the Zeny portable washer for a number of reasons. The youtube video link above is a poor example of the Zeny (in my opinion). Watch the video by a lady (Naturally Marked) https://youtu.be/aWJ2sFJt3aU this is the best example of the Zeny in use...Naturally Marked did a 6 month followup as well, excellent info in both videos. Her detailed review was the clincher for me. We bought the same model via Amazon.

The Zeny fits in our shower for travel storage and where I would use the machine if I used it inside. I use it outside if the campground has no issues in this area. I store it in our overhead bunk when not in use while we were camping.

The Zeny wash cycle is excellent...use way less detergent then you normally would. The spin cycle is so good your laundry is nearly dry coming out of the machine. I used the machine on a recent trip to Keaton Beach, Fla. My laundry was line dry for the most part in 15-20 minutes. DH heavy cotton shorts took a bit longer as the material is like blue jeans. 6 small loads washed, rinsed, spin cycle, hang to dry and remove from line 1 hour 15 minutes (tag teamed it with DH)

Would not hesitate to buy another unit !!! We love our Zeny!
CathyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #12

Hi CathyE,
Thank You for your response -- I find it interesting that on any forum question for every negative response to a question I will always get an opposite positive response so its always difficult to get to the most accurate answer. I certainly appreciate that you have found the Zeny product to work for you. I aslo agree with your statement regarding laundramats -- haven't had to do that since college and even then it was a huge time waster except for the studying part !!! A home washer /dryer allows for more effective use of my time and far less hassle than going to a laundramat. I will check out the video you suggested -- Thank You !!
Steve