Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

While a tag helps with some ride situations, I suspect most of what people felt was 'better ride' was simply the larger & heavier coach, with longer wheel base and, frankly, high end models vs their current rig. Any coach in that size and class rides better than lesser models. I'm not belittling tags - even had one on a old 36 foot gasser - but much of what I'm seeing here as alleged reasons for getting a tag have little to do with the extra axle itself. I'll repeat: you get a tag when and if the manufacturer finds it necessary to carry the coach weight and provide adequate braking for that extra weight. The downside is that it costs a bundle of extra dollars, has two more tires to wear, and reduces (yes, reduces) the available storage space because it uses the space for two bays (one each side). If 45 footers could be built without a tag to handle the weight, they would have much more basement space and much more carrying capacity at a lower price. But they cannot under current highway regs, so they all have tags.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
While a tag helps with some ride situations, I suspect most of what people felt was 'better ride' was simply the larger & heavier coach, with longer wheel base and, frankly, high end models vs their current rig. Any coach in that size and class rides better than lesser models. I'm not belittling tags - even had one on a old 36 foot gasser - but much of what I'm seeing here as alleged reasons for getting a tag have little to do with the extra axle itself. I'll repeat: you get a tag when and if the manufacturer finds it necessary to carry the coach weight and provide adequate braking for that extra weight. The downside is that it costs a bundle of extra dollars, has two more tires to wear, and reduces (yes, reduces) the available storage space because it uses the space for two bays (one each side). If 45 footers could be built without a tag to handle the weight, they would have much more basement space and much more carrying capacity at a lower price. But they cannot under current highway regs, so they all have tags.
Gary, part of that makes a lot of sense and I thank you. Instinctively though, I would think that the lower space lost - and compared to moving up from a 38 or 40 foot size is moving up in all space - that the overall usable space would be greater both inside and out. I know from the few rigs I've looked at, actually I should say "looked at with envy" that seems to be one of my lessor concerns. I've actually been more disappointed in the amount of food stock storage, something the makers seem to forget is a full timers necessity.

But I do appreciate your comments
Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have had both tag and no tag. Our first coach was a mid to top range 39'6" single axle rear, Freightliner chassis. A very good coach AFTER working with Henderson Drive Line out of Oregon. We also test drove our present coach not intending to purchase at a RV show. Well that did it! I went directly to the interstate for the test and found every 18 wheeler in sight. The difference was enough to seal the deal. Interior room, exterior room, towing, and a very happy DW with her own bath! I'm a happy camper with the Spartan chassis and ISL. We presently are FT for a year and very comfortable. Just our practical experience worth, hope it helps your decision.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
IMHO, if you need the extra load carrying capacity of the tag...get the tag. If you don't need the carrying capacity, don't get it. We opted not to get the tag because the single rear axle provided all the load capacity we needed. So we got what we needed without the extra length and expense of a tag.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I previously owned a 40' American Eagle non tag, it rode wonderful and towed my trailer grossing 9,800 lbs.

My current 42' American Eagle tag is unbelievably better handling and ride. Yes you may loose a little storage with the tag, but as you previously stated you are picking up extra space with the length.

You also loose some space with Aqua Hot, it wasn't important to me either until I actually had it. I wouldn't want to be without it not only for hot water but how much quieter and comfortable the coach is versus forced air gas.

You pick up carrying capacity,stability and braking, you loose a little space and must buy an extra 2 tires every 7 years (2 x $600= $1,200 / 7=$171 per year). I would also argue that with the tag you are safer for the fact that if you have a blow out on the rear you still have 2 tires carrying the load versus 1 with non tag.

With that said, would I buy 2 identical coach's 1 offered with tag and 1 without tag if available? Yes, for me the added costs is justified for the stability, weight capacity and towing stability, for you these may not be important and a non tag will be sufficient as long as you do not overload the coach. There really isn't a one size fit all and only you can will be able to determine what is best for you and your needs.

Good luck on whatever you decide, but I do not think you will be disappointed either way if carrying capacity or towing are major concerns. With the lift on the back, that may be the one factor that would push me to a tag, but there are many out there who do use a lift with a single rear axle.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think just your description of what you want and what you intend to do will dictate that you need a tag axle.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Thanks Everyone!

I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to share your thoughts and comments on this thread. I think the decision is pretty clear based on my projected needs, full time status, and my inability to not take my toys with me when I roam around. Sounds like a tag is the solution to those needs.

Again, thanks to all of you for your thoughtful and insightful comments.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I am unsure of the newest coaches, but up through 2014 and perhaps 2015 I do not believe you can find a non-tag over 40 foot. A couple of the higher end manufacturers put tags on 40 foot (at least they used to) but I don't believe you will find a coach longer than 40 foot without a tag.

Tags give more cargo capacity and smoother rides.
Our 2002 Dutch Star is 41' and no tag. We're not overweight either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote