Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Taking care of our own!

Today we were headed home in our pickup, after mowing my father in laws yard, when on the opposite side of the hiway we saw a motorcoach with their hazards on. Being motorhome owners ourself, I told my better half I was going to back and see if we could help in any way.
We pulled up in front so they would see we were not a threat and got out to see if we could help.
It happened to be 2 ladies in a 2006 Monaco who had just purchased it and were out on their very first trip, and had blown a rear tire.
Not wanting them stranded on the hiway, I informed them of a Loves truck stop about 3 miles up the road, and that I would stay behind them while they slowly made their way to a safe location.
They drove the few miles at about 5 mph so as not to have the tire fall apart and damage the body of the coach.
We followed them with flashers on until we reached the destination . Once they were safe, we went on our way home.
I tell you this, because we are all family and would do all we could for each other. My wife and I are proud to be part of it!
I'm sure others of you have similar stories:0)
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Uh, yeah...

For every one story like yours there are three others that are bad.

My first RV was a Fleetwood PopUp. While pulled over on the highway to check for a weird noise on the way to Death Valley in the middle of nowhere, I had a Monaco coach whiz by and blow their air horn while displaying the one finger salute and smiling, for no apparent reason.

And since I have become a motorhome owner myself, I continue to occasionally attract the worst of RVers. Especially, 5th wheelers that must cut you off while they are towing at 80+mph while towing through Southern California's grapevine section of highway.

It's nice to read good stories.. It's fun to read about all the heartwarming stuff on the Good Sam boards. However, in reality, RVers are just a cross section of society. Some good, some bad.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:23 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Thanks for the post. That was very nice of you guys. I've never pulled over as it was never safe to do so but I do call the local police to inform them of a breakdown. I will always offer assistance in a campground when I see some one who may need it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In all walks of life there are good folks and bad folks... I recall once on the side of the road with a friend, in the classic "Fender Bender" position (No contact between vehicles his was not running is all, bad O2 sensor)

Something like half a dozen police cars wizzed by, both State and county. this was BEFORE Cell phones became as popular as they are now (Thankfully I had a bag phone in the van and was able to call AAA)

On the other hand my Sgt and I have followed a car with blown tire to the exit so they could exit safely and get help (Different state police).

I also help when It appears It is needed, Today, with nearly everyone having a phone on their hip... Not so often.. But I have changed tires and done minor engine repair for folks.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
Today we were headed home in our pickup, after mowing my father in laws yard, when on the opposite side of the hiway we saw a motorcoach with their hazards on. Being motorhome owners ourself, I told my better half I was going to back and see if we could help in any way.
We pulled up in front so they would see we were not a threat and got out to see if we could help.
It happened to be 2 ladies in a 2006 Monaco who had just purchased it and were out on their very first trip, and had blown a rear tire.
Not wanting them stranded on the hiway, I informed them of a Loves truck stop about 3 miles up the road, and that I would stay behind them while they slowly made their way to a safe location.
They drove the few miles at about 5 mph so as not to have the tire fall apart and damage the body of the coach.
We followed them with flashers on until we reached the destination . Once they were safe, we went on our way home.
I tell you this, because we are all family and would do all we could for each other. My wife and I are proud to be part of it!
I'm sure others of you have similar stories:0)

Good for you!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a word of caution for you all I admin a rather large tow truck forum which has a Tower Down forum for operators killed in the line of duty and entries average about one killed monthly or sadly more often.

These are seasoned veterans as well as some entry level service providers, some may have used questionable procedures while most follow the safety rules. Many times they have small and large vehicles between them and approaching traffic with multiples of flashing lights and many of the times with police and fire support blocker vehicles on scene. The vast majority wear appropriate reflective safety clothing yet they are still struck, killed, and maimed at a increasing rate every year as traffic volume continues to increase.

In a majority of the states they have been included in the "Move Over" safety laws which were originally intended to protect "First Responders" however it's now a matter of record that wrecker operators make up the largest percentage of responders killed or crippled on scene.

My point being if you find it necessary to stop and render assistance please watch out for your own safety, the side of the road or freeway is not user friendly by any stretch of the imagination.

If you do not know what the "Move Over" law is Google it and the next time you see police or a wrecker working on the side of the road maybe pay a little bit of attention as to how your driving when your pasing them.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #7

RcandVicky, that was very nice of you to do that and I would have done the same thing. The important thing is to make yourself safe first befoe you try helpling someone. Pulling in front of them was a good point to make not only so they felt safe but also so you felt safe and could see who you were dealing with, if you saw something you didn't like you could then just pull away, and call the CHP/State Troopers ect to help.

Years ago we helped work a case where a car was broken down on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. A single female was standing next to the car, so a couple stopped tp help(parking behind them). When the man got out of the car to see what the problem was two males jumped out of the back seat. They robbed the couple of all their money,cell phones , car, at gunpoint and left them in the broken down car. Turns out they had been on a string of recent robberies and couldn't wait for the Cops to come help them. They were eventually caught several days later, but the couple that stopped to help was lucky to be alive.

This is not meant to be a damper on a good story of helping people in a time of need or discouraging people not to help, but only to be safe and do your best to see who you are dealing with in a safe manner.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #8

I have a similar story but it involves boating. I am an avid jetskier and is one of my favorite hobbies. A buddy of mine and I were out on the lake jumping some huge waves (if im high enough to look down at people on their boat that makes me very happy) and we could see a heavy storm brewing. We played until the last minute and started heading in before the storm hit. While we were heading in I could see a boat a few miles out with a guy waving his hands. After looking hard I decided to check it out. It was a 20 some foot cabin cruiser and this guys family was on board. The engine would not start. They had no radios or ways of communication (at least that is what he said). Since we all knew of the impending storm I had them throw me a rope and tied their boat to my muscle craft jet ski. Due to the size of the boat and not wanting to tear my hull apart I kept the pull slower and we started heading in. About 10 minutes in the storm hit and hit hard. Heavy rain, lighting, large waves, etc. It took just over an hour to pull them in the few miles in this storm however everyone arrived safely and a lot wetter. I could only imagine what would have occurred if we did not see that boater and his family.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
For over 30 years I was PAID to respond to emergencies involving all kinds of vehicles that were involved in accidents, or simply having mechanical problems on the side of a road. Personally, I would rather enter a building fully engulfed in fire than to stand on the side of a roadway at the scene of an accident or mechanical breakdown. Why? Because my training kicks in with the building fire, and my safety equipment protects me. While standing on the side of a roadway, I have no idea what each driver is thinking, or what action they may or may not take as they approach, and pass the scene. I have known 2 PD officers that were killed while directing traffic at an accident scene, and 1 firefighter/medic that lost both of his legs after a driver hit him while he was standing at the back of a fire department apparatus awaiting a tow truck to remove a vehicle from the scene of an accident. He was the only victim of the accident, everybody else was uninjured prior to his arrival. There is a saying amongst Fire, Police, and EMS workers: Do Not Become A Part Of The Problem!

So, unless you are driving a large tow truck, or carry a bunch of bright orange barricades, or can see that somebody's life is in imminent danger and you are trained to intervene, it is my opinion that you should slow down, put on your emergency flashers, stay to the left, and just keep on trucking. Notify the authorities as soon as you can safely do so. Sorry to sound so harsh, just speaking from my own experiences.
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #10

Red face Be careful out there....

If you are going to stop and try and render aid to anyone make sure that you stop well in front of their vehicle. Never stop behind a vehicle as that blocks them from the view of approaching traffic. Leave plenty of room between your vehicle and theirs in case they get rear ended.

Whether or not you stop will be a personal decision depending on the circumstances but always err on the side of caution. You can always call the authorities who are trained to deal with these types of emergencies if anything makes you less than comfortable.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I think anytime you help your fellow man, you have added to your karma bank....Good for you for helping out.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not only are we members of the RV family but also the motocross racing family. It never fails when we leave a large national race, we always come upon a few broken down motorhomes or trailers pulled by motorhomes. When you have at least 1000 rv's leaving the same place after a week of camping and racing, there is bound to be a few breakdowns. Not only have we stopped several times to render assistance but folks have stopped for us when we had a flat on our enclosed trailer. Put a bunch or rv'ers and racers together with trailers full of tools and parts and there's not a lot you can't get back on the road. Whenever we see an rv on the side of the road we stop as long as there is room to pullover safely. I'm not too worried, not too many bad guys making their escape in a slow lumbering rv.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #13

Good Job......
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I'm not too worried, not too many bad guys making their escape in a slow lumbering rv.
True but the amount of DUI, inattentive, and careless drivers might just boggle your mind.

Just be careful with your attention to traffic and your actions, how many times have you seen groups of people discussing the situation but standing between two vehicles or behind the last vehicle between it and on coming traffic, and lets not forget to mention those who see no problem standing a foot or two in a traffic lane evidently because they feel traffic is light.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote