Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #29

Traveling in a caravan is no insurance against bad people. A group of people on a Carnival Cruise Line shore excursion were stopped and robbed while on their way back to the ship. I have no desire to put my wife in danger like that. Mexico has the pest police force that money can buy. I was told by a Mexican citizen that if you pay bribe money they will ensure you have a safe passage. Their former President Fox had the gov't print flyers showing where to cross into the U.S. and where to go when they were here. In the mid 90's, SUV's were being stolen from the southern California area. An investigating reporter show like 60 minutes showed video footage of Mexican Officials driving around in the stole SUV's with the California license plates still on the vehicle. And we complain about our corrupt Gov't.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Not a well-considered plan if you think about it - unless it is really just an excuse for avoiding experiences that might be a little outside your comfort zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beddows View Post
Exactly, soon enough you are restricted to home.
Paul, (aka: Wagon Master)
I agree that most Mexicans are friendly and helpful... but I certainly don't have to leave the U.S. to learn that....(TX. NM, AZ and CA are full of Mexicans).
BTW, a large percentage of boondockers on my "FREE to anyone" BLM lands are Canadian.
I even see an occasional Aussie, (like Tony).

BTW, I'M not fearful of RVing in Mexico, (or Canada for that matter)....
I simply want to see what I want to see... NOT what you want me to see, (and happen to get paid to show me).

Mel
'96 Safari, (132k American miles).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beddows View Post
Hmm got as link? True or not, you do realize this sort of thing happens all the time in the US and even in Canada don't you? There was an incident in BC a few years back, where 2 families were shot around their campfire. the 2 daughters were then held and repeatedly raped then killed. There is also a couple missing in Alberta. They found their Class A burnt out and their tow car in the woods several miles away. They have not found their bodies. I suppose if you want to be safe stay at home on the couch. And hope nobody breaks into your house. Not my idea of living.
Their is nothing wrong with being safe, or using the brain God gave you. I have been in many dangerous circumstances in my life time, and I still used my head to think things through safely! Mexico is a very unstable country, always has been. GOOD LUCK!
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #32

ULSD in Mexico

Paul,

Is ULSD readily available in mainland Mexico? How about Baja?
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #33

I think it's great that so many folks from the US are unwilling to travel south of the border. We love Mexico and have safely vacationed there at least 20 times. Go to Hawaii, go to Florida, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, and we Canadians will continue to enjoy our trips to Mexico.

I do hope to spend some time Rv'ing Mexico in the near future.

Don''t take this as a put down and get your frillies in a knot, its just an observation.
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
Paul,

Is ULSD readily available in mainland Mexico? How about Baja?
No. It is available near the border, and Northern Baja and around Mexico City & Guadalajara. Rumor is it is available in southern Baja but I cannot say 100% on that. The stations do not indicate whether it is ULSD or not, so its a craps shoot. Pemex claims it will have it throughout all of Mexico by late this year, but I don't believe it, they are still in he tendering process for producing it.

We have had several people on our caravans who ignore it to no apparent ill effect. It will not harm the engine but it will force a regen cycle on your particle filter earlier. 2013/2014 models are much more sensitive and I would hesitate to take a vehicle under warranty down there. Urea is not available if you need that as an additive.
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post
I think it's great that so many folks from the US are unwilling to travel south of the border. We love Mexico and have safely vacationed there at least 20 times. Go to Hawaii, go to Florida, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, and we Canadians will continue to enjoy our trips to Mexico.

I do hope to spend some time Rv'ing Mexico in the near future.

Don''t take this as a put down and get your frillies in a knot, its just an observation.
You are wicked.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #36

Not till our Marine is released!!
RMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #37

Without getting into the politics, the guy was caught with several firearms in Mexico where they are illegal. Mexico views them in the same way they view drugs. If I transported drugs into the US across the border from Canada for whatever reason they were in my possession, I would expect to be in trouble. I fail to see the difference in this case. each country has it laws and you have to respect those laws if you cross the border.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Paul..your kind of getting political here....we get the message that you sell your services to folks who want to caravan to Mexico....Super....you got your message out...theres a lot of folks that don't feel safe in Mexico.....Respect that too.....enough said
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #39

Not to be out of line, but respect works in two directions..........
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #40

I don't want to get political, but people do have to realize that if you travel to another country you have to respect their laws. If you don't you get into trouble. I understand if people never want to venture out of their own country. traveling is not for everyone. I have been to over 100 countries in my 65 years and never tire of traveling and new experiences. I am certainly wary of laws. I once ended up in a Turkish jail in my foolish youth when I was caught exchanging money on the black market. Spent 2 days in there. I saw the movie Midnight Express after returning home and realized how close I came.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:15 AM   #41

I am certain this tread could go-on forever debating the dangers of Juarez, Monterrey, Tijuana , East Los Angeles, Camden New Jersey, Flint Michigan, East Vancouver, Prince George, BC......which btw is the murder capital of Canada with a shocking 7 murders in 2010.....does, however, have a ways to go to catch Chicago at +500! Clearly there are many places in Canada, the USA and Mexico you might be best to avoid....but it is silly to suggest that one avoid an "entire Country" because certain areas are potentially dangerous.

Consequently, I'd like to thank Paul (vested interest or not) for defending a beautiful country and it 's people. If you don't want to visit Mexico this is a personal decision and should be respected, but please don't blame the entire country or base your decision solely on the six o 'clock news! I would have thought RVers would be better educated and open minded about adventure and travel. If you are afraid of new things, unexpected events or have a paralytic fear of the unknown ....perhaps travelling out of your neighbourhood & exploring the unknown in an RV is not a good lifestyle choice.

Disclosure.....we lived from 1999 - 2010 in Cabo San Lucas....drove up & down the Baja repeatedly, up & down the mainland and would not hesitate to do in again in the future. After all....if we were prepared to leave Vancouver (the gang ridden, crack cocaine capital of N. America) venture through the USA and cities like Phoenix, Tuscon, Oakland, Los Angeles, El Centro, etc....why would we be afraid to venture into Mexico?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #42

It really boils down to comfort level. I have to admit the first time I took an RV down there, I was pretty apprehensive. Actually, very apprehensive, I even installed an alarm system in my RV. There are routes I would not take unless in a group, notably Michoacan state right now, although the toll roads are OK. Hwy 200 down the coast from Manzanillo to Ziahuantenejo is a big hijack risk. The police have their hands full there and common criminals are taking advantage of that lonely stretch of highway. Still, there are parts of the US that scare me far more than Mexico and I would not take an RV there either. It boils down to being informed. I think what worries people the most is the thought of having to deal with issues in another language, and lets face it, the police are not as co-operative. Quite frankly caravan or not, I strongly advise people to travel with at least one other rig. If nothing else you have somebody to go for help if you break down. Myself and the Churchs (RVing in Mexico guide authors) & Bells who both run sites on RVing in Mexico have places to find others to travel with. Free.

Still my idea of retirement was not sitting on a couch watching the Nat Geo channel and I am bored with the US & Canada as RVing destinations. One winter of snowbirding in Az and I was ready to never leave home again.

7 years ago, it was tough to get into a lot of RV Parks, that has changed. I have become like family to the owners of 2 or 3 of them and my involvement with caravans was actually a way to get them business so they don't close. If they close, then I have nowhere to camp. Back then I was actually discouraging people from going down. One or 2 parks you had to book over a year in advance. That has changed, but there is a resurgence. The recession of course was also a big factor.