Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #1

Taking your RV to Mexico

I have 3 upcoming articles in RV magazines this summer concerned with taking an RV into Mexico

1) "Should you go on a RV Caravan in Mexico" in RV Times in September (may get into July/ Aug issue instead) http://www.rvtimes.ca

2) "The spectacular new Maztalan-Durango Toll Highway" in RV Gazette in September RV gazette

3) "Melaque" in RV Life in August RV Life Magazine - RV Life Magazine

I will also be giving daily seminars on the subject at the Fall Seattle RV Show Sept 11-14th

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #2

It might be for some but there is far to much to see here.
To me that would be like taking a mountain walk along the Iran border.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #3

I know most of it is probably over exaggerated but I would not feel completely safe driving through Mexico right now....hopefully that will change.....
Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
It's to bad people are so misinformed about Mexico. But makes it better for the people that are.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
It might be for some but there is far to much to see here.
To me that would be like taking a mountain walk along the Iran border.
I hear that a lot. You are missing out on a wonderful experience. If you feel aprehensive, go with a caravan. I have driven throughout Mexico each winter for 5 months for the last 7 years. Never had a problem. Driving through LA or New Orleans scares me far more. Most violence down there is targeted.

A couple of facts:

1) An American has almost twice the chance of being murdered in his own country than he does in Mexico

2) The CBC did a study on Canadian tourist deaths per night stay per country a couple of years back. Australia turned out to be more dangerous than Mexico.

3) The vast majority of Canadians & Americans murdered in Mexico have ties to the drug trade or hang with people who do.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #6

Before even considering it, I would first check with my insurance company to see if you are covered.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I've read too many stories about Americans traveling in Mexico. One family out of California spent a few days in Mex. as they had many times before. They had a new truck and trailer. The trailer was used to hall their 4x4 toys. This trip they left the 4x4 at home. On the way back to California they were being followed, and did get pulled over with red flashing lights. They were robbed of everything, taken to the desert, thrown into a ditch. I forgot to mention the kids were with them. The family thought all would die. They did make it home alive. I know this very same thing can happen anywhere, but why push your luck? Especially in MEXICO! The country cannot be trusted, not now anyway.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #8

A govt. more corrupt than the US. Don't feed the beast.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #9

Taking your RV to mexico

Been to Mexico many times, with and without my RV. Some of my fondest memories are from San Felipe with my RV. Although I will still fly to resort destinations, Cabo, PV, etc...
I would not drive my RV into Mexico today. Maybe as a part of a caravan, but then caravans are not my thing. Insurance is no problem. Buy here and get extra coverage. Be prepared to have your RV thoroughly inspected at any time.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #10

Paul, thanks for the heads up, hope I can remember to catch these. I would like to give it a try, especially if I could check out Baja. We vacationed in Mexico a lot and generally feel very safe.

Any chance you post these here after they are published? More info would be great.
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwade View Post
I've read too many stories about Americans traveling in Mexico. One family out of California spent a few days in Mex. as they had many times before. They had a new truck and trailer. The trailer was used to hall their 4x4 toys. This trip they left the 4x4 at home. On the way back to California they were being followed, and did get pulled over with red flashing lights. They were robbed of everything, taken to the desert, thrown into a ditch. I forgot to mention the kids were with them. The family thought all would die. They did make it home alive. I know this very same thing can happen anywhere, but why push your luck? Especially in MEXICO! The country cannot be trusted, not now anyway.
Hmm got as link? True or not, you do realize this sort of thing happens all the time in the US and even in Canada don't you? There was an incident in BC a few years back, where 2 families were shot around their campfire. the 2 daughters were then held and repeatedly raped then killed. There is also a couple missing in Alberta. They found their Class A burnt out and their tow car in the woods several miles away. They have not found their bodies. I suppose if you want to be safe stay at home on the couch. And hope nobody breaks into your house. Not my idea of living.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post
Paul, thanks for the heads up, hope I can remember to catch these. I would like to give it a try, especially if I could check out Baja. We vacationed in Mexico a lot and generally feel very safe.

Any chance you post these here after they are published? More info would be great.

Will do, Baja is actually easier. Mexico Light. No vehicle permits needed.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beddows View Post
Hmm got as link? True or not, you do realize this sort of thing happens all the time in the US and even in Canada don't you? There was an incident in BC a few years back, where 2 families were shot around their campfire. the 2 daughters were then held and repeatedly raped then killed. There is also a couple missing in Alberta. They found their Class A burnt out and theri tow car in their tow car in the woods several miles away. They have not found their bodies. I suppose if you want to be safe stay at home on the couch. And hope nobody breaks into your house. Not my idea of living.
At least in the US we have the option of carrying a legal weapon to defend ourselves. Probably not a good idea when traveling to Mexico.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #14

No, however where do you make the decision to shoot somebody in a campground? When the Ranger knocks on your door for payment? In the BC incident they were shot by a sniper from woods. A gun would have been of no use. Defending yourself only works if you have it ready and loaded at all times and are willing to shoot first and ask questions later. That can get you into serious legal trouble unless you are on your own property. In the US as well.