Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
This has been the most eventful trip of our short RVing career. First we lost Sox our cat, then today here in MS we ran out of propane, headed to the dealer on rte 90, busy road, narrow shoulders turned into the dealer and cut it short. Next thing I know the right rear wheel is in the drainage ditch. Coach tilts right, the left front wheel is off the ground as is the outer dual in the rear. Really started thinking it was going to tip over. Got out checked things out and we were down on the chassis, the rear compartment door was bowed out. Tried putting plywood under the rear jack, it just punched a hole through it. Got a local wrecker to come out, Moss towing in Waveland MS,got there in 45 minutes. He said not to worry?? Hooked to the rear hitch with the winch Pulled me out in reverse, the side compartment door popped back into shape and the only damage was a muddy coach. Well maybe thing aren't so bad after all.
PS the tow driver said was the fourth rig he's pulled from the same spot.

Well we left Waveland on our way to Topsail Sunday morning, got to Mobile on rt 10 and the rig started to overheat. Got off the hiway and called coachnet they dispatched a tow and contacted Empire Truck sale for repair. Found out we couldn't stay with the coach. Did a search of local CG found one less that 1/4 mile away. Let it cool down and made it no problem. Monday AM we started to the shop got halfway and overheated again. Called Coachnet again they dispatched and said it would be 1-1 1/2 hours. 2 hours later no tow, called them back they said the was a fatal accident and the wrecker was sidetracked. After another 30 minutes I decided it had cooled to 130 so I made it to the shop. I had emptied the closet and moved the bed prior to arrival. They pulled up the floor boards and did a check apparently the waterpump drive belt had broken and the other was frayed. They had to order the waterpump belt wouldn't be in until Tuesday AM, Now we had to find a hotel that would take Zeus and the new kitty, not easy. This morning after a sleepless night in a Redroof Inn I called the shop at 9:30, was told come on over the the coach is ready. Get there and it's outside idling. Went in and got the bill, 6 hours labor $584, total $778 with parts and tax. I asked to explain and was told they were giving me a $10 hour discount. I know he only spent 2 hours on Monday and he said the part was being delivered at 8 AM Tuesday so give him 2 hours. Paid with credit card. the question is is that a reasonable cost?
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
This has been the most eventful trip of our short RVing career. First we lost Sox our cat, then today here in MS we ran out of propane, headed to the dealer on rte 90, busy road, narrow shoulders turned into the dealer and cut it short. Next thing I know the right rear wheel is in the drainage ditch. Coach tilts right, the left front wheel is off the ground as is the outer dual in the rear. Really started thinking it was going to tip over. Got out checked things out and we were down on the chassis, the rear compartment door was bowed out. Tried putting plywood under the rear jack, it just punched a hole through it. Got a local wrecker to come out, Moss towing in Waveland MS,got there in 45 minutes. He said not to worry?? Hooked to the rear hitch with the winch Pulled me out in reverse, the side compartment door popped back into shape and the only damage was a muddy coach. Well maybe thing aren't so bad after all.
PS the tow driver said was the fourth rig he's pulled from the same spot.

Well we left Waveland on our way to Topsail Sunday morning, got to Mobile on rt 10 and the rig started to overheat. Got off the hiway and called coachnet they dispatched a tow and contacted Empire Truck sale for repair. Found out we couldn't stay with the coach. Did a search of local CG found one less that 1/4 mile away. Let it cool down and made it no problem. Monday AM we started to the shop got halfway and overheated again. Called Coachnet again they dispatched and said it would be 1-1 1/2 hours. 2 hours later no tow, called them back they said the was a fatal accident and the wrecker was sidetracked. After another 30 minutes I decided it had cooled to 130 so I made it to the shop. I had emptied the closet and moved the bed prior to arrival. They pulled up the floor boards and did a check apparently the waterpump drive belt had broken and the other was frayed. They had to order the waterpump belt wouldn't be in until Tuesday AM, Now we had to find a hotel that would take Zeus and the new kitty, not easy. This morning after a sleepless night in a Redroof Inn I called the shop at 9:30, was told come on over the the coach is ready. Get there and it's outside idling. Went in and got the bill, 6 hours labor $584, total $778 with parts and tax. I asked to explain and was told they were giving me a $10 hour discount. I know he only spent 2 hours on Monday and he said the part was being delivered at 8 AM Tuesday so give him 2 hours. Paid with credit card. the question is is that a reasonable cost?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #3

Mike and Peggy,
At least you're getting all of the bad luck out of the way and can now expect 127 years of safe and happy RVing without incident, bad weather or mechanical breakdowns.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #4

Hey Mike,
Glad to hear it worked out ok. Thats what what you get for traveling in the winter and not staying home here in Bucks Co with the rest of us working fools LOL.

John

PS: Did you ever get the drivers lidcense issue resolved? Bet not!

Space Coast, FL
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Mike that was one of a million little episodes the road has in store for you. remember, what doesn't kill ya (or make ya broke) only makes ya stronger. (or poorer)

PS: we are right behind you, see ya in FL.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #6

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
I am surprise that the dealer hasn't notified the city or have it fix themself. I would call city road dept , and if that don't get them going then file a complain with the city manager , we are glad you and your family are ok.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, that must have been scary! Glad to hear it turned out okay... as they say, "stuff" happens. No fun when that stuff is happening to you, though! Safe and happy travels from now on!!!

Brenda, of...
Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
John

PS: Did you ever get the drivers lidcense issue resolved? Bet not![/QUOTE]

You'd win that bet! LOL

"PS: we are right behind you, see ya in FL. Steve"

Can't be too soon for me!
Old 01-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #9

Hey Hondo,

Don't think you are by yourself by any means. I had my coach 3 weeks and "remodeled" a driver's side rear bay door, water service door, and the generator door by cutting a turn too short. There have been many others who have remodeled low bridges and roofs. As someone posted here earlier, at least you got it out of the way! Seriously, I really learned to watch every side of the coach, which really slows me down (this is good), and I try to never get complacent and sure of myself. My wife told me as I was lamenting my crunch job, that I was lucky it wasn't a car full of folks I'd hit at speed, or some other tragedy that could have occurred by my actions. That's why I love her so much, she's right (on this one!).

You will get more comfortable again making your turns but probably not as comfortable as you once were (there's good in this too). I wish you no more harrowing lessons!! Enjoy the road and most of all, have fun!

Spare
sparetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #10

My other hobby is backing in to things...
Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Old 01-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our first trip out with our new rv I backed into a tree and crushed the drivers side corner taking out the later as well. 4 grand to fix it. So you should feel lucky. Glad your back on the road. I will do another thread and talk about our nightmares over the past two and a half months.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had my new coach (our 1st last coach) long enough to drive it from Seffner, FL, to Pensacola. Took out the stop sign across the street trying to get into my drive way. Nice big hand sized scrape in the back. Think DW is going to let that one go - I don't think so, not anytime soon.

The up side - had it fixed two months later at the Tiffin service center in Red Bay, AL, while getting some warranty work done (everything on our list was finished in a three hour express appointment). POI- with warranty work you can stay at no charge in their campground with full 50 amp electric, water, sewer hookup. When I got the bill ($545) and ask where to pay, they said "you don't pay, that's for our accounting purposes. Thank you for buying Tiffin."
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
It seems we don't hear enough about these types of service experiences.

I was at Newmar for service in early February. My coach was out of warranty by 4 months. I had a pretty good list of items that I expected to pay for. A few items were from damage we had caused. Newmar took care of everything except the annual service to my HydroHot.

I can say that I was quite satisfied. Customer loyalty is driven by experiences like this.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote