Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
We spent Thursday at the Tampa show and left with a few disappointing observations. Seemed to me this year the vendors were overwhelmed with campground/RV Resort sales. I have never seen so many in years before. I also felt that many "staff" had very little knowledge of product. Overall if you knew what you wanted to see and do it was most likely there to compare and kick tires.
Our impression was fewer vendors overall than previous years. Lots of campground booths and others selling "stuff" unrelated to RV'ing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #30

Crowds

I'm in agreement with the poster on the crowds with the dogs. I was a dog owner for many years and would never subject my animals to insane crowds as there was on Wednesday. I was actually shocked though to see that many people at the show. We only live about 2 miles away and I never realized just how big this show was. We spent about 5 hours there and really only saw about half of the models and companies. And we didn't really venture in to see any of the vendors.

We'll be going back tomorrow to see the rest of what we missed and try to come to a close decision as to what we want. Right now it looks as though it's going to be a starter TT with enough room to keep us away from each other when required…(only kidding). Was also surprised at the markdowns from MSRP. These companies really have a HUGE margin. Nobody should be paying even close to sticker price. Seemed like lots of good deals and I did see several folks signing contracts.

For those of you flying in from out of State, sorry 'bout the cold weather, but that's Florida. If you don't like the weather, wait a minute….it'll change.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabaybob View Post
\
For those of you flying in from out of State, sorry 'bout the cold weather, but that's Florida. If you don't like the weather, wait a minute….it'll change.
Usually that's true; however we've been waiting over a week for this cold weather to change
Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Was there Wed, lines to park and get tickets were stupid long, the gal said her computer was too slow processing the requests.

But got in and the crowds weren't there really, got to see anything we wanted.

The unrelated booths are such a waste.

Bought a few things at good deals, surge protector and new camera system and saw things first hand to shop later online.

Shopped for new furniture, good to see first hand but deals at all.

I was surprised at the some of the so called posted sale prices on several MH's. that were not really great deals.

We have been shopping for a while and have seen most of the coaches, but the Legacy was nice, fit finish layout.

We don't waste time looking at anything over $400K, didn't see anything that stood out,

We went with another couple that brought a dog, it was a mistake, they didn't admit it.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #33

Cold weather???? We're from Buffalo so this is downright balmy!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a mission this year at the show. To see the Outlaw LS and Newmar 3921 model toy haulers. The other goal was to find a source for all the equipment to tow our car and an installer.

Amazingly with only two Class A builders of toy haulers you would think they would have them on display but Thor failed. Headed over to Newmar and finally got to see the long awaited 3921 and it was definitely a great model. I wish I could say the same dealing with the NorthTrail salesman Tony. What a toolbag!

Lastly, I found a local dealer/installer that gave me a phenomenal price at RV Medic in Tampa. Additionally the sale rep for Demco listened in on my discussion with RV Medic and after the sale tossed in a cover for the tow bar. That was a nice bonus.

Some other observations were that Thor in general cuts a lot of corners and has poor quality control. Went over some other models like the Windsport and Hurricane. Found trim that didn't line up, cabinet doors that were crooked and one that had a refrigerator door that had a severe pop when you opened the door. How these units ever leave the factory like this is beyond me. The Outlaw rep even shared that a model we had seen at LazyDays last year was in such bad shape the factory took it back.

While perusing the wife and I decided to look for our future upgrade into the diesel market and explored the Tiffin Allegro and Phaeton and the Fleetwood Excursion. Wanted to see the Fleetwood Discovery with bunks but amazingly it wasn't at the show.

All in all I enjoyed the show. Will agree with others that the dogs and dog strollers are a friggen nuisance.

My $.02!
"The Dutch Oven AdventuresII"
ensiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensiv View Post
I had a mission this year at the show. To see the Outlaw LS and Newmar 3921 model toy haulers. The other goal was to find a source for all the equipment to tow our car and an installer.

Amazingly with only two Class A builders of toy haulers you would think they would have them on display but Thor failed. Headed over to Newmar and finally got to see the long awaited 3921 and it was definitely a great model. I wish I could say the same dealing with the NorthTrail salesman Tony. What a toolbag!

Lastly, I found a local dealer/installer that gave me a phenomenal price at RV Medic in Tampa. Additionally the sale rep for Demco listened in on my discussion with RV Medic and after the sale tossed in a cover for the tow bar. That was a nice bonus.

Some other observations were that Thor in general cuts a lot of corners and has poor quality control. Went over some other models like the Windsport and Hurricane. Found trim that didn't line up, cabinet doors that were crooked and one that had a refrigerator door that had a severe pop when you opened the door. How these units ever leave the factory like this is beyond me. The Outlaw rep even shared that a model we had seen at LazyDays last year was in such bad shape the factory took it back.

While perusing the wife and I decided to look for our future upgrade into the diesel market and explored the Tiffin Allegro and Phaeton and the Fleetwood Excursion. Wanted to see the Fleetwood Discovery with bunks but amazingly it wasn't at the show.

All in all I enjoyed the show. Will agree with others that the dogs and dog strollers are a friggen nuisance.

My $.02!

Skip,

Check with the new Tampa RV on the Newmar. They just bought out Bates RV in Tampa and, it is my understanding they now have the Newmar dealership in Tampa and Albany.

Ed
Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #36

we saw a toyhauler made by haulmark inside the main bldg. It was a super c and ridiculously expensive for the really cheezy interior. Several strangers were overheard inside the haulmark how cheap the interior was for $385k.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
we saw a toyhauler made by haulmark inside the main bldg. It was a super c and ridiculously expensive for the really cheezy interior. Several strangers were overheard inside the haulmark how cheap the interior was for $385k.
The wife and I were considering a haulmark or renegade a while back due to the fact that the kids race motorcycles. We really wanted one but I could not justify the price for the basic looking, old school interiors. They still go with the oak cabinets and brass fixtures (yuk!) or basic sheet vinyl floors and rather plain furniture. I get it that the chassis is a lot of money but when your asking that kind of dough, the interior should be on par with an entegra or other upper level coach. Just because these rv's usually have a garage or are pulling a large race trailer doesn't mean the buyers want to settle for an interior that looks like a basic coach from the 90's. Granted a few have done a little better lately, they still lag way behind on the luxury they should exude at those kind of prices. Its nice to have some luxury after a day at a hot, dusty race track.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:56 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
We were really interested in a toy hauler , but every one of them we've looked at for the last two years were too 'utilitarian' for us...

I understand the demographic they may be aimed at, but some of us want our cake and eat it too
Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have our show Feb 6th-9th,(Mpls & St. Paul) We hope we have better luck. I remember last years was really nice, alot of resorts to go to booths also.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #40

Tampa Show

Skip, I was also really looking forward to seeing the Thor Outlaw. All I needed to do was walk up the stairs to the bed over the garage and that was enough for me. I guess if you're a 20 something only having 30" or so to climb around on your knees to get into bed wouldn't be bad, but as a Senior…..I'll go with a nice Voltage or Cyclone ! Those two are on top of our list but wanted to see the alternative that Thor had to offer. Sorry Thor…You lose.

We went back on Sunday to see the rest we didn't see on Wednesday. Was very surprised to see many of the coaches pricing discounted several thousand dollars less than what they had been marked on Wednesday. Guess they didn't want to bring 'em back !

All in all, I think it was a good show with lots of choices to see. Now the tough part…getting a consensus from the Mrs. on which one to go with. I'm hoping it'll take less than a year. LOL
Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Now the tough part…getting a consensus from the Mrs. on which one to go with. I'm hoping it'll take less than a year. LOL
Both Thom and I are going thru this right now. We were deciding do we upgrade a few things on our current coach or go with a newer. Went to the RVIA show out here in SoCal a couple of months ago and went thru just about every DP that was over 37ft , made a list of the ones that both of us liked. There are about 25 on that list .... now to par down and decide on how new we really want to go
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #42
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Skip, I was also really looking forward to seeing the Thor Outlaw. All I needed to do was walk up the stairs to the bed over the garage and that was enough for me. I guess if you're a 20 something only having 30" or so to climb around on your knees to get into bed wouldn't be bad, but as a Senior…..I'll go with a nice Voltage or Cyclone ! Those two are on top of our list but wanted to see the alternative that Thor had to offer. Sorry Thor…You lose. LOL
If you want a Class A Toy Hauler with a bedroom, look at the Outlaw 37MD. I really want to see one in person too, but they are all presold before they arrive at the dealer...never one at any RV shows.

Of course there is the Canyon Star 3920 and 3921...exactly the same chassis, similar build materials, slightly different floor plan, but $50,000 higher price tag(?).

The loft is the best part of the Outlaw...dedicated bedroom that gets no traffic from the garage and uses no valuable floorspace. I'm in my 50's and have no problem using the loft.

BTW, Voltage (by Dutchmen) and Cyclone (by Heartland) are Thor Industries brands.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote