RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #1

Tankless Water Heater ?

We are working on the option list for the next RV and I had a question about the water heater.

We currently have a 10g dual gas/elec water heater that works great. It's just the 2 of us and we almost never use the propane to heat water and almost never run out of hot water on electric.

The option of tankless is appealing but I'm pretty sure all of them are gas fired and that would consume a fair bit of propane that we aren't using now.

Is there such a thing as an electric tankless water heater or they all gas?

Pretty sure I already know the answer.

DKRITTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Tankless Water Heater ?

A company named Marey makes an electric tankless water heater. - not sure if any RV manufacturer are installing them in RVs. Not sure about RVIA code.

All of the Aquahots/Hydrohots/Oasis are considered on demand hot water and most run an electric element - so technically speaking they are tankless on demand hot water systems that "can" be run on electric only. They do have a glycol tank bath though......

Brian

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think there is an electric tankless water heater option from the general public focused couch builders. Maybe the very high end custom builders. The problem is the high electrical power the system will demand for effective operation. Even the small Marey heater needs a 40 amp service and potentially push the limits of CG 50 amp service if your operating other high power appliances. And don't forget the coach generator will also have to be sized to accordingly. Might redefine power management.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will be surprised at how little propane the tankless water heater uses! We generally go for 3 years (and could probably go 4) without refilling on propane but the water heater is all we use propane for and we use it for at least 5 months out of the year in FL in the winter.

burfurd
Old 12-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
You will be surprised at how little propane the tankless water heater uses! We generally go for 3 years (and could probably go 4) without refilling on propane but the water heater is all we use propane for and we use it for at least 5 months out of the year in FL in the winter.

burfurd
Brand/Model number of your water heater please. Not trying to High Jack Thread. Thanks
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #6

The tankless water heaters offered from RV manufacturers are all propane fired only to my knowledge.
Our RiverStone came with the Girard 2nd Gen. tankless water heater and we hate it, takes almost 40 seconds for hot water to come out in the shower, when the flow goes below 1/2 gpm it shuts off. It is an absolute water waster, when you are drawing from the freshwater tank and need to conserve water when boondocking or extreme cold weather the first gallon goes down the drain before it's warm enough to step in and when you try to preserve water and turn it off (navy shower) it takes another 40 seconds before you have hot water again, do that several times a day. The same goes for the washing machine which draws in short bursts of hot water, well it's always cold. Try washing your hands with warm water, same deal.
The time delay between opening the tap and the water heater firing up and actually heating the water is ridiculous.

However, RiverStone agreed to replace the tankless water heater with a conventional gas/electric hot water tank.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
Brand/Model number of your water heater please. Not trying to High Jack Thread. Thanks
No problem, had to go look up the manual. The brand is a Precision Temp and the model is RV500. We really enjoy the endless hot water but it does waste water if you are boondocking.

burfurd
Old 12-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #8

I don't think you can beat the old fashioned electric/gas 10 gallon RV water heater. They've been around for years and unless you have a bunch of teenagers who think they need 30 minute showers I can't see any advantage to tankless water heaters in RV. And if you do have the teenagers just send them to the CG shower house.

If we're in a park (just 2 of us) we run the gas and electric and I don't think either of us has ever run out of hot water even when taking consecutive showers. When we're boondocking we're interested in conserving water anyway so endless hot water would be of no value then either.

Tank type RV water heaters have been around for years, folks understand them, parts are easy to find and they aren't terribly expensive. I guess I just don't see the problem that's remedied by tankless RV water heaters.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #9

We have a Girard on demand and hated it.
We dry camp and water conservation is important.
Solved the water heater cycling off when turning water off to soap up then back on to rinse.
Plumbed the low point hot water winterization drain to the fresh water tank.
With an extra valve installed turned on, the hot water turns on and dumps directly to the fresh water tank as long as the water pump is turned on.
Now when ready to take a shower, I turn on recirculation valve and water pump and water heater starts up. Now I can take a shower and stop the water and then turn it back on again without that cold rush of cold water when the on demand heater stopped.
When done with shower, turn off the water pump until dressed and I can turn the recirculation valve off. The water system then goes back to normal operating mode.

If given a choice I would opt for a tank hot water heater.

On demand does make winterization easier.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
I agree, I had put one in our 5th wheel and used it for 5 years. Uses very little propane.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #11

There's a gizmo for that: Showermaster

RV – Aqua View, Inc.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddykern View Post
We have a Girard on demand and hated it.
We dry camp and water conservation is important.
Solved the water heater cycling off when turning water off to soap up then back on to rinse.
Plumbed the low point hot water winterization drain to the fresh water tank.
With an extra valve installed turned on, the hot water turns on and dumps directly to the fresh water tank as long as the water pump is turned on.
Now when ready to take a shower, I turn on recirculation valve and water pump and water heater starts up. Now I can take a shower and stop the water and then turn it back on again without that cold rush of cold water when the on demand heater stopped.
When done with shower, turn off the water pump until dressed and I can turn the recirculation valve off. The water system then goes back to normal operating mode.

If given a choice I would opt for a tank hot water heater.

On demand does make winterization easier.
That is similar to what I had done for the same reason, we love to dry camp and hated wasting water. I installed a bypass valve that when I shut the shower head off it would bypass back to the tank, who cares if a little hot water goes to the tank. What I do now is I installed a thermostat on the tank and tied it into the feed wire. Now I can control the temperature of the water. I set it with a lot of testing to right around 100 degrees, now we dont even turn the cold water on, just the hot and we have the temp we want, I also did the same thing with the electric. Unfortunately we still lose some water waiting for the hot to get to the shower, I like your idea.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 12-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #13

These are all brilliant ideas but I doubt the rv industry will adopt them because they rely on the use of the water pump in conjunction with the fresh water tank.
But nevertheless brilliant ideas.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
There's a gizmo for that: Showermaster

RV Aqua View, Inc.
Thank you very much for posting this, it is exactly what I am going to buy! Saves me redesigning another one,

2014 Honda CRV Toad

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater