Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #1

Tanks not reading correctly

When I completely empty my black and grey tanks on my Bounder and then check the tank levels with the "Tank Test" on the dash the black tank still reads 1/3 full and the grey tank reads 2/3 full.

Obviously reading is an error. Why is this and is there a way to fix or calibrate this?

Is there any way to manually check the tanks?
jmk909er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #2

My black tank does this from time to time....usually just have to fill and flush a couple times...never had the problem with the grey...my black tank also never reads full...
Old 04-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk909er View Post
When I completely empty my black and grey tanks on my Bounder and then check the tank levels with the "Tank Test" on the dash the black tank still reads 1/3 full and the grey tank reads 2/3 full.

Obviously reading is an error. Why is this and is there a way to fix or calibrate this?

Is there any way to manually check the tanks?
Throw some water in there with some Dawn and drive it around. It might help clear off the sensors, but fyi these things are notorious for not being accurate.

Can you see your black through your toilet? That is how I used to check mine. Grey is harder. The one time I was full and my sensors were off, I got grey coming into the shower, since it's the lowest drain. (Darn guests took long showers while dry camping.)
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:53 AM   #4

Tank sensor reading errors on the black and gray tanks are an age old problem with most of the sensors the factories install. For example; on our '16 Bullet 269RLS we dumped our tanks and flushed the Black tank pretty thoroughly, but it was still reading 1/3 full and even though we drained the gray tank it was still reading other than empty. After dumping we normally put a couple of gallons of water back into the tanks, along with chemicals, Dawn dish soap and some Calgon so the tanks can king of slosh a bit while we drive. The trailer sat in storage from mid-January until yesterday when we brought it home to prep for a trip and sanitize the freshwater system. While in storage I usually visit the trailer every week to check on things and I almost always check the tank levels. Over that period of time in storage they kind of read all over the place; usually between 1/3 to 2/3 full. Yesterday I drained the freshwater tank and started the sanitizing process. Checked the black and gray level readings this morning and both are reading empty. Crazy!!??
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #5

IF you want a permanent solution to your tank level problems:

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...onitor-system/
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

I have researched those and some others, but our trailer has an enclosed bottom and I am hesitant to drop it. LOL
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post

Our rig came factory-equipped with the See Level system. The black tank rarely reads correctly - usually reads "4" or "8" until it's almost full. I usually find out that the black tank is full when the red light shows up on our Tecma toilet control panels. At that point, you have to dump before you can flush what you just did!

Happy trails,
Old 04-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks for the link. I will contact them about the problem with our system. Our dealer basically ignored the complaint during a recent warranty service visit.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:53 AM   #9

Quote:

X2.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #10

Also I might add, check what tp you are using. We use Scott one ply and it will completely disintegrate. To test your paper get a bowl add water and take some paper and put it into the bowl. See how long it takes to dissolve.
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #11

Quote:

Any recommendation regarding installation?
Sarge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #12

Sarge, If you have access to your tanks, installation is a breeze. You stick the 'sensors' one on each tank. they are a self-adhesive 'circuit' board. You use one of the existing wires from an existing probe and tie that one wire into each sensor. Then tie the ground from one tank to all sensors. Install the display near the existing tank display (cause that's where the wires go) and you're good to go.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Sarge, If you have access to your tanks, installation is a breeze. You stick the 'sensors' one on each tank. they are a self-adhesive 'circuit' board. You use one of the existing wires from an existing probe and tie that one wire into each sensor. Then tie the ground from one tank to all sensors. Install the display near the existing tank display (cause that's where the wires go) and you're good to go.
Thanks. Perhaps just the solution I’ve been looking for
Sarge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #14

Sarge, PM me if you want and I can walk you thru the installation steps. The first thing you need to do is to measure the height of each tank so you know what length 'sensor' strips you need to order.

Tags
tank