Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Cola ny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 190
Tax write off

Hello folks. Going full-time in five weeks i'm wondering what are the tax write offs as a full-timer can you write your SalesTax off and or your interest rate how does that work?
__________________

__________________
Cola ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
trackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Interest If the unit is your 2nd home. Otherwise we found that the IRS counts you as camping. Good luck and enjoy the ride
__________________

__________________
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
I think sales tax write offs are only available for residents of States that have no State income tax.
__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Alan_Hepburn's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: San Jose, Ca, USA
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Interest If the unit is your 2nd home. Otherwise we found that the IRS counts you as camping. Good luck and enjoy the ride
The RV can be a second home, but that does not mean that the first home has to have a mortgage - if your home is paid off, or you don't have a home you can still deduct the interest on the RV.
__________________
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Cola ny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 190
MyRV will be my only home as I am full timing
__________________
Cola ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
trackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
The RV can be a second home, but that does not mean that the first home has to have a mortgage - if your home is paid off, or you don't have a home you can still deduct the interest on the RV.
Sorry. I thought that is what I implied.
__________________
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Rich and Cork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,052
If you are retired, own most of your stuff and don't have a lot of investment income, you will probably not have enough deductions and will take the standard deduction.
__________________
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
Much information, some of which is correct and some of which is not. First off you must be able to itemize deductions to take any RV related deductions. The interest on your RV is deductible as "Other Interest" on schedule A. Do not put it on the mortgage interest line or you will probably get a notice from our friends at the IRS. As for the sales tax, well, not this year unless the law gets changed. In the past you could deduct the greater of your state income tax paid or your state sales tax. Right now the sales tax deduction is gone for 2014 unless it gets legislated back in, which may very well happen. After all, this is a Congressional election year so there may be some goodies handed back to us before year end. But as of right now, there is no sales tax deduction for 2014,
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Roaming Fulltimer
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Do not put it on the mortgage interest line or you will probably get a notice from our friends at the IRS.
Didn't happen for me. 9 years of full-timing and interest on the MH loan was always put in mortgage interest on tax forms and never got a complaint about it. Finally got the sucker paid off.
__________________
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
Didn't happen for me. 9 years of full-timing and interest on the MH loan was always put in mortgage interest on tax forms and never got a complaint about it. Finally got the sucker paid off.
As the IRS becomes more adept at matching 1098's with Schedule A's the odds of that happening will decrease. Some get the notices and some do not, but why take the chance and have your return picked for more scrutiny?

One thing I did forget to mention is the possible tax advantages of putting solar panels on your RV. You may be able to take the solar energy credit for the cost of your solar panels. That is a tax credit, which means it is dollar for dollar against your taxes.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Right now the sales tax deduction is gone for 2014 unless it gets legislated back in, which may very well happen. After all, this is a Congressional election year so there may be some goodies handed back to us before year end. But as of right now, there is no sales tax deduction for 2014,
The sales tax deduction for those few States with no State income tax has been let to "expire" practically every Dec. 31st for years. Follows much hand wringing etc. and eventually it's been without fail restored. No reason to expect anything different this year; and it's already in the pipeline. Here quoting This month-old story:
Quote:
The bill, S. 2260, cleverly named the EXPIRE (Expiring Provisions Improvement Reform and Efficiency) Act, is sponsored by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR). It was introduced on April 28, 2014, and has moved through the Senate Finance Committee. Today, the Senate moved to consider the bill with only Sens. Tom Coburn (R-OK), Jeff Flake (R-AZ) and Mike Lee (R-UT) voting no.
Most recent action taken April 28th, when it went to the full Senate. Link
Smart money has it passing. As usual.
__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Nuclear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 335
I get a military disability deduction from my county. I can apply it to the MH or to my house mortgage. Because the value of the MH is significantly less, I apply it to the house.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker MBS 2400w
2000 Monaco La Palma, F53 V10
2011 Ford Escape
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The sales tax deduction for those few States with no State income tax has been let to "expire" practically every Dec. 31st for years. Follows much hand wringing etc. and eventually it's been without fail restored. No reason to expect anything different this year; and it's already in the pipeline. Here quoting This month-old story:

Most recent action taken April 28th, when it went to the full Senate. Link
Smart money has it passing. As usual.

I would agree that the deduction will probably come back, but one statement you are making is incorrect. Whether your state has an income tax or does not is irrelevant. You get the GREATER of your state income tax or your state sales tax. In other words if I paid $10,000 in state income taxes but $15,000 in sales tax I would deduct the sales tax. You would take the sales tax deduction automatically if your state had no income tax.
__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Francesca's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Port Hadlock, Washington
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I would agree that the deduction will probably come back, but one statement you are making is incorrect. Whether your state has an income tax or does not is irrelevant. You get the GREATER of your state income tax or your state sales tax. In other words if I paid $10,000 in state income taxes but $15,000 in sales tax I would deduct the sales tax. You would take the sales tax deduction automatically if your state had no income tax.
Sorry-you're right. I went back and read the actual language in the present bill instead of relying on an evidently short lived version floating around that would have eliminated the "choice" for those States that also had income tax, reserving it only to those States where taxpayers didn't have the income tax deduct available.

Looks like that went down before the final version was sent to the Senate.

Now we'll see, right?
__________________

__________________
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sales Tax Deduction in 2013 and 2014 wnytaxman iRV2.com General Discussion 24 01-22-2015 10:02 PM
Registering in CA. but not paying sales tax? TheWanderers iRV2.com General Discussion 18 03-14-2014 11:58 AM
Full Timers State Tax Returns bdickson Full-Timers 10 01-29-2014 01:58 PM
Can I pick my own sales tax this way? Liberate iRV2.com General Discussion 18 01-13-2014 09:50 PM
RFT Federal Tax $8 at Holly, MI KOA TeJay Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 93 10-26-2013 03:57 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.