Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

temporary insurance / license?

Howdy!

Another question from my side for you experienced US travelers

Imagine I'd fly somewhere and decide to buy a used car, preferably from a private person.
In order to drive the car legally I will have to register and insure it. In my case I'd probably register it in Montana, using a Montana LLC.
This will probably take at least 2-3 days and even longer until I get the plates.
However the person who just sold the rig to me will probably want it off the yard as soon as possible. Here in Austria, Europe, we can get temporary insurance and license for a few days in such an event. How's this being usually done over there?

cheers,
Matt
Matt_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #2

Probably best to contact the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in Montana for a direct answer.
Motor Vehicle Division Headquarters, Department of Justice
Phone: (406) 444-3933
Address: P.O. Box 201430, 302 N Roberts, Helena MT 59620-1430
E-mail: mvd@mt.gov
Old 10-12-2015, 05:13 AM   #3

The people who set up your LLC will deal with this for you. They do it all the time.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

In most states a temporary permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles will get you anyplace you want to go, one way.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check with your existing insurance carrier.. IN many cases the state laws require your existing automotive insurance be extended to cover any new purchase for a period of days (Varies from state to state) in order to let you get 'er home.. The state where you purchase may issue a temp regristation or again many states you have a period of days (like 3) to get 'er home without tags.. But if you try that expect to meet a lot of police officers on your way home.

NOTE: CHECK with insurance.. Nationwide my RV policy says it is an Automotive policy but when my wife crashed the used Jeep we had just purchased... They would not cover it (and it would have cost them a great grand fifty cents to do so,, that's all) So my new car is covered by a DIFFERENT COMPANY.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #6

So, thank you all for the input! I also followed KT4Wextra's advice to contact the Montana DMV. And I'm absolutely positively surprised by the detailed answer! You would never get such a well written, detailed answer over here in Europe from any authority...

So, here's what they say:

--------------8<--------------------------
General information:

The dealership will issue a 40 day temporary registration permit. And see that your Montana county of residence receives the title work unless you have previous arrangements with your registered agent.

Title and registration will take place in your Montana County of residence. You can complete the title and registration either in person or through the mail. You can find the contact information for your county office @ https://dojmt.gov/driving/county-treasurer-motor-vehicle-offices/ . Ravalli County does not do title work through the mail.

The forms referred to below can be found on our website @ https://dojmt.gov/driving/vehicle-title-registration-forms/ . They are in fillable format can be completed online and printed for your signature.

• The out of state title signed off and signature(s) of seller notarized if necessary. If the title is already in your name, it is not necessary to sign off the title. Or MCO from the dealership. The dealership will convey their interest using the Dealer Section on the MV1. The dealership will issue a 40 day temporary registration permit. And see that your Montana county of residence receives the title work unless you have previous arrangements with your registered agent.
  • Application for Montana title (MV1) – please complete all of the information including Section C if there is a lien holder, there is an $8.00 to file a lien. Montana is not a title holding state. You will receive the Montana title and the secured party will receive a lien filing copy from which they can repo or release the lien. We will need your driver license number and the driver license of any co-owner.
  • You may want to take a look at the MV65- Power of Attorney Form in case you have a family member who can help with the title and registration process. This would allow whoever you designate to sign any documents for you.
  • When sending the out of state title through the mail to a family member or your county motor vehicle department, please send it in a secure manner.
It is important to work directly with your county office for price and details of where to mail license plates. Some counties have a county option tax, others do not and one charges a lesser percent. The information I have provided is general title and registration information. You may be required to present additional paperwork to complete the process once the county office has an opportunity to review the title work.

You may also be asked to provide proof of residency; we do not have a process to title and register a vehicle by non-residents. Effective October 1, 2013 if a person owns property in Montana they may complete title and registration, in their Montana County of residence. You may be asked for a paid property tax statement or another proof of property ownership.

The vehicle need not be present for title and registration to occur.

While we do not require a person to have a Montana driver license at the time of title and registration when the new Montana driver license is obtained it is important to have your customer record up dated at the county office.

-------------------->8------------------------------------

So, in case I buy from a dealer, it seems like I won't have to worry about anything else than the insurance. I was in contact with a few agents and got told that the insurance can be bound the same day I apply for it. Within a few days I'll get the paperwork mailed, but technically the vehicle would be insured from day 1.

So, if I buy from a dealership it should not be a problem and in case I buy from private, I guess I'll just have to work out a deal.

cheers,
Matt
Matt_RV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance