Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #15

Take a good look at hybrids (fold out beds fore and aft) as they offer a lot of room with light weight. That was our first, we bought used, and traded after a couple of years as DW did not like crawling over me to use bathroom or making a sideways bed. Our next was a hardshell TT with small slide that wasn't nearly as roomy and we finally ended up with a fifth wheel.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #16

I tented for 30 years including 1 continuous year camping while traveling the US. I first went to a 16’ travel trailer which was nice enough, but towing it with a small pickup wasn’t much fun on windy days. and it was a hassle to drag through cities or towns with limited parking. For a couple years we rented a friend’s 30’ Itasca motorhome, We liked the convenience of everything being contained in one vehicle. The down side was the fuel mileage and again limited agility in urban areas and back roads. We also figured out we didn’t need or want that much living area and storage for the 2 of us and medium size dog.
The solution for us was a 23’ class a motorhome. Same size as a UPS truck and it goes just about anywhere we want to go. It has enough storage for us to stay away a month at a time easily.
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tent camped until 1986 when I moved up to a Coleman tent trailer, then in 2007 moved up to a Hi-Lo 19' TT so I could have a shower and AC, then in 2015 we bought a Class A 27'. All of them had pros and cons. The larger you go the more limitations you have on where you go and how you get there, but the larger the more comfortable we are, I love having a full size bed that is always made and ready to go. I always bought new but there is great value in buying used as the loss won't be as great when you decide you want something different. Like mentioned above, your tow vehicle will impact how much weight and the size of the TT. I towed my Coleman all over with my Jeep CJ but the Hi-lo required a full size truck. Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I met a couple in Utah that had a pop-up trailer that the walls and roof are solid and just fold down for towing.

Flagstaff Hard Side Pop-Up Campers Folding Camping Trailers by Forest River RV

Theirs had a "front porch" which is an uncovered area where they could store stuff, even an ATV. They said they paid $12,000 for it used. Some are called pop up toy haulers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #19

Carolina Campers
I was tent camper for about 45 years, bought a 25' has queen and a break down dinette table into a bed. It has stove, oven, microwave. I added TV. Has separate sink in bathroom.
I have no slide out on purpose. There is a foldout couch ( child can sleep on it. ok there is lots of room when compared to tent camping. Then a real bed and AC!! To me this is a minimum of size and it was the right price for me. There is running water and toilet. But then you have to consider how much your tanks hold on a small TT. You can use it up in a hurry. I suggest a tank cart for your waste water if you do not have full hookup.

This is a great convenience and I can go camping again. But with RV you have to plan reservations way ahead for many camping sites/resorts/etc... No more ground or hot tents sleeping. If you like this kind of camping it can be really great.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With all due respect to simple camper, parking your RV in an RV park is not camping. I prefer to boondock away from all the noise. It takes solar panels and/or a generator, but those soon get paid for by not paying park fees.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #21

I spent a lot of years backpacking the Appalachian Trail. Later I bought a used popup camper for the wife and kids. After the kids grew up and I retired, I bought the Winnebago 2201DS for the wife and I to wander around in. We go for about 3 weeks at a time with no problem.

I'd recommend getting something where you don't have to sit on the toilet to take a shower. Commonly known as a wet bath. AC, a real bed, bathroom, fridge are all requirement for me now. Did I mention the AC?

I gave all my backpacking stuff to my son. I won't be need that stuff any more.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Tent camped until 1986 when I moved up to a Coleman tent trailer, then in 2007 moved up to a Hi-Lo 19' TT so I could have a shower and AC, then in 2015 we bought a Class A 27'. All of them had pros and cons. The larger you go the more limitations you have on where you go and how you get there, but the larger the more comfortable we are, I love having a full size bed that is always made and ready to go. I always bought new but there is great value in buying used as the loss won't be as great when you decide you want something different. Like mentioned above, your tow vehicle will impact how much weight and the size of the TT. I towed my Coleman all over with my Jeep CJ but the Hi-lo required a full size truck. Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.
All depends on where you live. Some parts of the country have very little to no boondocking possibilities other than Walmart. Others are blessed with huge chunks of government land folks can camp on for cheap to free.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #23

Foretravel Owners Club
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:31 AM   #24

Tent camper interested in RVing

We love our 17’ Liberty Deluxe Casita. Found her for a great price, so we did the leap. No regrets. Roomy for 2, and our small pooch. And it has a closet!
[ATTACH]201945
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3511.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	201945  
Gish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving