Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #1

Termites???

We live in Florida where termites are constantly looking for a snack. Do we need to be concerned about termites invading our 5th wheel? Is there something we should be doing to keep Ms. Ellie safe?
teach23666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #2

Do All You Can!

Howdy Teach
Yes, you need to take all kinds of care down here (I'm in FL too). When I'm stored for the season I pre-treat the parking area for subterainian termites doing a soil drench around ANY area of the trailer that touches the ground: wheels, jack, etc. I do this every year. Then, once a month spray pesticide around and on the same areas to keep the crawlers at bay. Watch for any cords that may contact the ground too. Inside, in addition to the Damp-Rid treatment, I use a Hot Shot No Pest Strip. They last up to 4 months and will kill most anything that can and can't be seen. Seems to work great! I once had (key word) an ant problem and the strip seemed to take care of them.

Good luck and stay vigilant.
2Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #3

Are you living in the fifthwheel? If not, and you move it once a month or so, no problem with termites.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We are also long time Floridians and have never taken any special termite precautions with our RVs (we do with other things). There is no wood in contact with the ground, nor any dark crawl space underneath to encourage them to tunnel over the tires or jack struts. There's always a chance of a queen flying to start a new nest in any available wood, but there probably isn't any exposed wood on your RV either. I'd say the chances are near zero.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
There are two types of termites in Florida: 1: Drywood Termites and Subterranean Termites. Both are low risk, but not impossible, for an RV.

One caveat: Do you see lots of "tents" over homes in your neighborhood? or is the RV parked reasonably close to the coastal areas? If so your risk for Drywood termites will be much higher.

Hope this helps.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #6

You have no worries. Termites move around in tunnels that they build, and they die when they hit the air. They're chasing the smell of formaldehyde that wood gives off.

I find carpenter ants to be a much, much more destructive beast than termites. But they only eat diseased or dead wood.

When I want to know about any of 150 critters (pests), I go to BugSpray.com.

On ants, see: Ant Control & Treatments in Atlanta GA | Ant Repellent Sprays
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You have no worries. Termites move around in tunnels that they build, and they die when they hit the air. They're chasing the smell of formaldehyde that wood gives off.

I find carpenter ants to be a much, much more destructive beast than termites. But they only eat diseased or dead wood.

When I want to know about any of 150 critters (pests), I go to BugSpray.com.

On ants, see: Ant Control & Treatments in Atlanta GA | Ant Repellent Sprays
No disrespct meant, but a few corrections.

If Bugspray.com told you the above information, you need to find another source.

Many factors determine if subterranean termites will eat wood or prefer a section of wood, but formaldehyde is NOT one of them.

Florida carpenter ants will START a nest in wood that is softened, often by water damage. But they can and will infest sound wood. They are slow workers and do not damage wood as readily as northern species.

My source is myself, in business over 30 years,(Twice as long as founders of Bug Spray), certified commercial operator in Florida,35 years, and the University Of Florida, Gainesville, where I studied.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote