Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
The damage really doesn't surprise me. These vehicles are very heavy, and they have to save weight everywhere that they can. If they built the walls so that they would withstand a roll over and support that heavy chassis and a roll action, they wouldn't have weight capacity for anything else to be inside. The roll action is very effective at breaking the walls loose. From there it all just falls off. We really hope to never put ours on its side or worse.
Condolences to the family first off, but regarding 'flimsiness', Prevost (and other OTR bus manufacturers) manage to build a coach with a substantial metal frame for the seating/coach area that would stand up to a roll in most cases. Obviously comes at a price though, even before the addition of any RV attributes. ($400k+ for a bare shell/chassis?) So I think it is more about cost than weight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

How is it cars have to pass all kinds of safety tests but there is nothing regarding safety with RVs?

Think also about all the fridge fires.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #17

What a terrible thing for the wife to watch happen, our prayers are with her and their family.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
Condolences to the family first off, but regarding 'flimsiness', Prevost (and other OTR bus manufacturers) manage to build a coach with a substantial metal frame for the seating/coach area that would stand up to a roll in most cases. Obviously comes at a price though, even before the addition of any RV attributes. ($400k+ for a bare shell/chassis?) So I think it is more about cost than weight.
Since his wife saw him driving erratically just before the crash I'm thinking medical condition and he may have been dead before the crash but that would be hard to determine.
I hope we never have to test it but I hope the Country Coach's with their semi-monocoque frame and welded steel "cage" do better!!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Another possibility is a front tire blowout! That's why I bought SteerSafe steering stabilizers for our coach!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKGuy View Post
Have there been tests? I have yet to see a roll over picture of any rv that looked reasonably in-tact.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I continue my thoughts for the Family and especially his Wife.

RVs were not designed to go on their side at any speed, the same thing can happen to any coach.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Thoughts with the family. Never good to see someone die especially a spouse.

Sounds like heart attack or stroke.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:24 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If they did car style testing on these things you wouldn't have to worry about getting killed in your rv as you could no longer afford one.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #24
IC2

That's a downright frightening set of photos. I know our 5er wouldn't stay together in a roll over but no one is riding in it - ever. Makes me wonder about those Class A's that blow by us a near warp speed on interstates and if the occupants are aware that they really are in a huge but very light duty vehicle with virtually no crash worthiness.

My condolences to his family, especially his wife who had to witness this tragedy.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, sad to see, that is right up the road from me. I wonder if they were going to frieghtliner or cummins for service as that is the exit.