Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #1

Test Drive???

Being I have my motorhome for sale I figured at some point someone will want to test drive it. How would I do this especially for someone that has never driven a motorhome?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #2

insurance question?

typically insurance policies will cover your vehicle when you 'allow' someone to drive it, for a short term reason. it's best to ask you insurer first, as they may require the driver to be listed on the policy, but that's unlikely.

the risk is really on you, not the driver, since YOUR policy would pay any claim or damages. this is why many rv dealers don't offer to let 'just anybody' test drive their vehicles without a serious credit application on file, and/or a copy of their driver license.

if your concern is about the driver's ABILITY to drive a large vehicle, then that's something different. meet them at a large open parking lot where the drive is not on a road or street, but in a contained area. and, like rv dealers, don't just let anyone test drive it, but also require their license and proof of their OWN auto insurance(even though it's not part of the equation, it let's you know that they are responsible drivers for the most part).
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #3

My thoughts was to let them drive it only on the RV resort roads which are very wide and has no sharp turns. I could then drive them out on some roads myself to let them know how it drives.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I bought mine from a private party, he and I jumped in and he drove it out to the country. When out in the middle of nowhere, he asked if I'd like to drive. When I was satisfied, he drove it back home.

Personally, I appreciated this approach. I got to watch his driving style and listen to his tidbits of advice about the vehicle he was familiar with.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #5

Always a tough one, especially if the potential purchaser has never driven a MH before. I would find out their level of experience before they come to look and possibly drive. If they have never driven a MH before, I would point them to several good videos on You Tube which give the basics such as how do you line up with your seat (or back of seat) when starting your turn. You should start out driving it yourself and then go to a fairly wide-open parking lot. Bring some cones or orange spray painted jumbo soda bottles or gal milk jugs. With the potential buyer, start with baby steps such as putting it in gear and driving straight ahead for 100 ft or so, then braking & applying the parking brake. Then try some turns. When you feel that the buyer has some confidence and is not a complete ditz, you drive it away from heavy traffic, even out of town or to a freeway rest stop. If you are brave, let the buyer take over and drive to the next rest stop or pull-off from the highway.
This is how I would do it, but others on this forum may have better ideas.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #6

I would try to tell what the level of experience is, both in driving and in interest before making that decision, and always take them for a drive yourself first. If you have a 200k unit be very careful maybe not so with a 20k. Lots of looks loos out there with no $$$
Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #7

I would drive it first, city, then highway, and depending on perceived level of expertise, I may or may not let the perspective buyer drive it. That may squash a sale, but it's a lot more difficult to sell a wrecked Motor Home!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been here when selling both if my previous motorhomes. They were bought by persons who had never driven a motorhome before. Once we had a deal, I allowed test drive as part of the PDI. I drove to a large parking lot area, discussing how to drive a motorhome enroute. I then let them drive there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Only if they have had experience(you're not learning on my dime) or I wouldn't bother. Let them test drive at the dealer . Then come back to you and take them out so they can see how it works. I have owned 4 from dealers , 3 new and never test drove 1.
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #10

My experience was very similar to blangs. The owner drove me out of his neighborhood to an area with very little traffic . Gave me some pointers, and let me take over. This was after the deal was made.
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
When I bought mine from a private party, he and I jumped in and he drove it out to the country. When out in the middle of nowhere, he asked if I'd like to drive. When I was satisfied, he drove it back home.

Personally, I appreciated this approach. I got to watch his driving style and listen to his tidbits of advice about the vehicle he was familiar with.
This is the way the PO of my coach did it. It worked pretty well--I got to drive the coach and he didn't have to worry about me driving it in a congested area.

Tags
test