Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

Test your risk of a sudden cardiac arrest

Many of us are older and we wonder about our risk of having a sudden cardiac arrest while driving.

Here is a test from the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Society that you can quickly take online that may ease your mind.

Sudden Cardiac Arrest Risk Assessment Tool

And here is more information about the different between a Sudden Cardiac Arrest, and an typical heart attack.

https://www.hrsonline.org/Patient-Re...iac-Arrest-SCA
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for sharing that! It says my risk is low!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's great - but my test says "medium risk"! What! Can't be. I want a recount.

Okay retook test - now I'm "low risk".
Apparently the question about being moderately overweight is significant in the test outcome.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I tried it and at the end it just took me back to the starting page with no result. I must already be dead...

But boy would I love to shake 15 lbs off...
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That is great to hear. Glad your mind is eased.

Many happy journeys to you!
Old 07-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This test doesn't take into account certain factors. Such as, diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, but treated with medication and therefore, presumably not a problem.
How does one answer that?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
This test doesn't take into account certain factors. Such as, diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, but treated with medication and therefore, presumably not a problem.
How does one answer that?
I thought about that as well. I would hope having treated it reduces the risk. I would simply ask your doctor.

You can also look up sudden cardiac arrest risk factors at the Mayo Clinic website.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #8

My test said high risk, which unfortunately is the same as what my cardiologist said. After having my heart issues earlier this year, my wife insisted we get an AED before we could go camping in remote areas. For anyone interested the prices you see posted on the web are manufactures minimums they can advertise at. We found by contacting the company they were willing to sell the AEDs for about $500 less than what it’s advertised at on the web page, in our case calling it a military discount.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #9

To the question of having high blood pressure but on medication - how to answer?
Wouldn't the answer be no since the purpose of medication is that you now do not
have high blood pressure (as long as you take your med)? Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
My test said high risk, which unfortunately is the same as what my cardiologist said. After having my heart issues earlier this year, my wife insisted we get an AED before we could go camping in remote areas. For anyone interested the prices you see posted on the web are manufactures minimums they can advertise at. We found by contacting the company they were willing to sell the AEDs for about $500 less than what it’s advertised at on the web page, in our case calling it a military discount.
So driving in the mountains is a particular problem. What did your cardiologist say about driving in general? Does your wife do the driving then? Would make sense. Hope all goes well. Stay safe.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
To the question of having high blood pressure but on medication - how to answer?
Wouldn't the answer be no since the purpose of medication is that you now do not
have high blood pressure (as long as you take your med)? Just a thought.
I am not sure, because as I understand it, high blood pressure over time damages the artery walls and can create plaques that could rupture and cause a heart attack. That damage might be there for some time even if the pressure is brought down. So risk might remain higher.

As always, have to ask a cardiologist for his or her opinion on that.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

Suffered one in 2004. Was working out, felt weakness in my shoulder. I went home and denied it for 20-30 min.. Drove to the ER and dropped dead(Coded x2)in the waiting room. Lived to tell the story. It was a plaque tear, blocked a main cardiac artery. Ended up with a stent and a very expensive helo ride. The ER attending Doc was amazed that I woke up the next morning.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #13

More BS from the fear mongering portion of the medical industry.

Risk is meaningless unless a number can be put on it. The risk of dying is 1.

Second, talking about risk is meaningless unless there is something you can do about it.

The risk of death in a MH accident is actually lower that other types of driving. While that sound counter intuitive, I suspect it is because in general we are older and compensate for the risk by driving slower.

The reason I am at higher risk is I have low risk factors for other things.

I often sail alone with few other boats around. I accept the risk because I enjoy it.

At some point in my life I started taking blood pressure medicine along with two other medicines. Long term studies showed that one of the medicines was not effective. I asked my doctor. He said keep taking it. I asked again on myh next visit. He said to stop taking it because it had side effects.

It is about enjoying life. My wife recently passed in her sleep in the MH. The two night before we sat around the campfire with old friends. Before leaving on this trip she saw her doctors and had a stress test.

Dying a slow painful death gives all time to prepare. When happens suddenly, we are not prepared for the loss.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I happen to believe in destiny. When we are born we are given a certain number of days in this existence. I'll die when my number of days has been used up. It might be a heart problem, it might be a meteorite that crushes me.

What's more important to me is my quality of life. I try to stay healthy so that I can enjoy every single of those days I have left. I get fixed those things in my body that can be fixed, cataract surgery for my eyes, knee replacements, etc. I take vitamins because I think they make me feel better. I try to surround myself with happy people and and smile more than frown. Life is precious!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test