Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The examiner took me through the air brake test on the motor home. They weren't testing me, but the vehicle itself. They pretty much go through the state inspection process--lights, wipers etc. If it fails, you won't be allowed to complete the test.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #30

Just got back from taking the driving portion of the test. I want to thank everyone for their input. As it turned out, I was really worried about what turned out to be a very simple test.

The examiner wanted me to show her my brake and turn signal lights, and hear the horn. Then she took me thru the air brake check, outlining each step. Then the driving part. Went around the block a couple times. Really, that was essentially what we did. Drove down the service road to a place where there wasn't any traffic, and had to back up about 20 feet, and then get onto the freeway back to the DPS.

Literally, it took no more than 15 minutes. No parallel parking, no questions, just what I outlined.

Again, thanks for the input and info.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960C182 View Post
If GVWR exceeds certain totals YES you do here in Texas. I have the class A non-CDL as my combo goes over 26000 lbs GVWR.
You take part of the CDL written then a driving test with your rig, mine a dually/5er for example. I don't know on using a MH but I had to " parralell park " my 5er in a marked area.
I am in the same boat, dually and a large fifthwheel and need the non-CDL class A licence. Did your test consist of anything about airbrakes? Or is air-brakes listed as an restriction on your licence? I am curious because my equipment does not use air-brakes, and kind of hard to test air-brakes when not equipped with them.
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #32

Congrats, rcflyerrv.

Just to clear up a possible misconception on this thread and others when it comes to states that require a Class B non-commercial license --it's not the actual weight of the vesicle as it stands that determines if you are required to have a special license. It is the weight RATING of the vehicle.

Most of us know that the GVWR is the "Gross Vehicle Weight RATING." Any vehicle (or all vehicles), even your passenger vehicle, is assigned by the manufacturer a GVWR and that rating does NOT fluctuate. It is NOT what the vehicle weighs at any given time. It is the maximum the vehicle CAN weigh while in operation. It is assigned by the manufacturer and will not fluctuate.

The vast majority of Class A gas-engined motorhomes are under 26,000 lbs. GVWR. That means one will not require a special license to drive a Class A gas motorhome. OTOH, the vast majority of diesel pushers WILL be over 26,000 lbs. GVWR and as such, will require a Class B non-commercial drivers' license to operate in those states that require it of their own residents .

I've hear so many in our home state of Nevada tell me "I don't need a non-commercial Class B license because my diesel pusher always weighs under 26,000 lbs. and is never loaded to 26,000 lbs." WRONG. Their diesel pusher may be RATED at 26,001 lbs. gross vehicle weight, or 26,500 lbs, gross vehicle weight, or 27,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight but they claim it's never loaded to that weight so they don't need a non-commercial Class B. THAT IS JUST A PLAIN FALSE PREMISE!! They DO need a non-commercial Class B license.

It's not what your vehicle actually weighs at any given time, it's what it's RATED FOR or it's GVWR ...a figure that does not fluctuate.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosters 67 View Post
I am in the same boat, dually and a large fifthwheel and need the non-CDL class A licence. Did your test consist of anything about airbrakes? Or is air-brakes listed as an restriction on your licence? I am curious because my equipment does not use air-brakes, and kind of hard to test air-brakes when not equipped with them.
I took my Class A non-CDL test in a pickup and 5th wheel. No air brakes on the test and no air brake restriction on my license. When we purchased our diesel pusher, I contacted DPS to ask if I needed to take the air brake portion of the test. They asked if I had an air brake restriction on my license. I said no. They said,"then you don't need to take the test". They also said that the air brake restriction is only applicable to a commercial license. Essentially, I gained a license to drive any size MH, by driving a pickup and 5th wheel.

I have an employee with a Class A CDL. He did not take the air brake portion of the test, since he only drives our F550 and pulls a gooseneck trailer. His license does have the air brake restriction "L" on his license.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerrv View Post
Just got back from taking the driving portion of the test. I want to thank everyone for their input. As it turned out, I was really worried about what turned out to be a very simple test.

The examiner wanted me to show her my brake and turn signal lights, and hear the horn. Then she took me thru the air brake check, outlining each step. Then the driving part. Went around the block a couple times. Really, that was essentially what we did. Drove down the service road to a place where there wasn't any traffic, and had to back up about 20 feet, and then get onto the freeway back to the DPS.

Literally, it took no more than 15 minutes. No parallel parking, no questions, just what I outlined.

Again, thanks for the input and info.

Where did you take your test (which DPS office)?
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #35

Wichita Falls. They have a very nice RV park just down the road from the test facility. Wichita Bend RV Park. 30/50a electric and water hookups, with a convenient dump station. Right on the Wichita River.

Nothing fancy about the park, no amenities, but is clean and has concrete pads. They are just slightly wider than the wheel spacing, so the exit step will be on grass. $17.00 per night on an honor system, but they do monitor the park. We were the only ones there for most of the week we stayed. There were a couple other rigs that stayed one or two nights.

My wife said she would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerrv View Post
Wichita Falls. They have a very nice RV park just down the road from the test facility. Wichita Bend RV Park. 30/50a electric and water hookups, with a convenient dump station. Right on the Wichita River.

Nothing fancy about the park, no amenities, but is clean and has concrete pads. They are just slightly wider than the wheel spacing, so the exit step will be on grass. $17.00 per night on an honor system, but they do monitor the park. We were the only ones there for most of the week we stayed. There were a couple other rigs that stayed one or two nights.

My wife said she would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Thanks!

That's great information. Now I just need to find out what I need to study for the exam. I know it's listed on this site somewhere, but seems that each facility does it a little different. For the written test, what sections of the manual did you study?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #37

Quote:
No air brakes so the endorsement not needed so its not part of your A test.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #38

So how did all of you get to the test without the proper license? No questions about that?

I guess I am finally going to have to get a B Exempt as I am in the process of getting a 19k GVWR fiver and my 450 GVWR is 14.5k, so I am well over the 26001 limit.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
I drove mine to the test. They said come back in an hour so I drove it to the Bluebonnet Cafe and had breakfast. Then i went back and took the test. No questions asked.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #40

I called one of the DPS Drivers License offices. Asked the lady how I was suppose to get my coach there for the driving test. Her response...

"We're the licensing office, not law enforcement. We don't ask how you got it here."

Good enough for me.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
So how did all of you get to the test without the proper license? No questions about that?

I guess I am finally going to have to get a B Exempt as I am in the process of getting a 19k GVWR fiver and my 450 GVWR is 14.5k, so I am well over the 26001 limit.

Joe
I'm not an expert on this at all, but I think due to the GVWR of your trailer, you are going to need the class A, rather than the B.

Now I don't want to come across as a know it all type, but being a retired airline pilot, I am used to having to take all kinds of test and check rides every 6 months. I got really psyched about this driving test, but it really was a simple endeavor. As far as my written, I went to my local DL office by where I live in Granbury to get the correct book to study for the written. By the time I got through with the processing fees and stuff, I was told I could fail the written twice without having to pay again, so I said WTH, let me just go ahead and try taking it. I hadn't studied anything at all when I took it.

They put me on a computer that started asking multiple choice questions. Most of them were common sense driving stuff, a few were specific about emergency markers (and I knew that from this past summer when I had a blowout in PA on my Journey) and about reflector heights on 18 wheelers. I just guessed at those specific ones and kept answering questions as they were presented. I don't think I was asked more than about 15 questions or so, but all of a sudden, the screen popped up and said I had passed. Kinda like hitting the jackpot on Vegas machines.

Anyway, the guy took my photo for my new license, and told me to schedule the driving part at my convenience, but get it done within 90 days or I would have to restart the whole process and pay another fee.

It really was that simple. Wichita Falls makes it convenient to do the driving because they have th RV park that is right by the DL office there. Also there is a secluded place to practice backing and parallel parking (and they even have the spots marked off and leave them there to guide you when practicing.

Someone asked how did I get there. I drove myself to Wichita Falls and had my buddy who has his CDL go with me to the office. No one ever asked me a single question about how I got the RV there.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Is that a light truck dually? Why would you a class A for that?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas