Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

Texas Process For First MH

Let me say as a newbie, I have learned a HUGE amount from these forums...and we don't even own a MH.....YET. We are picking up our 2013 Allegro 36 LA on April 19 in Tennessee and driving it home to Houston.
After reading some threads, visiting Texas DPS licensing stations, etc., here are some questions I have:
1. Do I need a special drivers license in Texas. DPS says Yes, but their manual says only if GVW is 26,001 or more. The 36 LA is on a 24,000 chasis.
2. For the inspection sticker, do I have to take it somewhere special or any state inspection outlet?
3. Since I am buying this in Tennessee (and paying sales tax there), what will I need when I go to license it in Texas and get the credit for the sales tax already paid?
4. I have narrowed the ERS to Coach-Net, thanks to the reviews of fellow posters.
5. Still looking for insurance as my Progressive agent cannot match the insurance company from the dealer where i bought the unit, even though my house and 3 cars are already with Progressive. However, I am extremely open to new insurance as I do not agree with the morals and principles of the owner of Progressive. Ideas are welcomed.
Again, thanks for allowing me to troll the threads....great advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
just about any state certified inspection place will do a RV

at least around us in north east texas

you have 30 days to get an inspection sticker and tags etc
26k and over gvwr is the number for a class b non commercial license
we use Farm Bureau insurance , no I don't have a farm either...but they are very very affordable, they don't advertise in big dollar commercials
they are more like a coop, you have to be a member to get the insurance and it is around 30 a year to be a member.

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We just registered our RV in Montgomery County at the Conroe office last October. They will ask for the current inspection which you can get at any state inspection place, a certified weight certificate they would not accept the manufacturers listed weight and the ownership papers the papers the dealer gave you AND proof of current insurance.

I had my coach weighed at a Good Sam Rally for $20 not sure where in Houston you can have it done. We found Allied Insurance to be about the cheapest, they have the lowest deductible and they also offer windshield replacement coverage. FYI if you have a family member up near Dallas you might want to use that address for your insurance they jack the insurance rates in Houston because of Hurricanes.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Your inspection process will depend on the county you are in. Houston has the emission test that is mandatory and many inspection stations are unable to test a MH. Outside the Houston-Galveston-Ft. Bend area you can get it at just about any inspection station. I had no problem with the Harris county clerk's office accepting the weight listed on the mfgr's spec. sheet/
Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know how much RVing you've done but you don't have to go to the truck scales in any states on your way back to Texas.

Those are for commercial vehicles, not RV's
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Our last two MHS were weighted on a scrap yard scale. They were both bought from La individuals and didn't have a weight slip. They were registered in Jefferson county (Beaumont Tx). We have a 34' DP and drive with a regular license. Our car insurance is with Farmers but the MH is insured with Flo at Progressive because they gave us the best rate. Our neighbors used the weight that was on the title for their registration. CHECK ON THE TAXES, as you may be double billed. Call the tax assore/collector in Harris county and find out before you fly off to Tn. If he/she says don't pay Tn taxes get it in writing on county letterhead and take it with you. You don't need a Tn license tag as you can get a 10 day temp tag. This will give you time to get home and get it registered. My son was double billed in Texas and Ca. He was lucky, it was an inexpensive TT.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Hope this helps

Hope you have resolved some of these issues as you are getting close to delivery. First off, you will be pleased with your new Tiffin. They are a fine company and have a culture of customer care. We bought a 4 year old Allegro Bus in late 2010 and could not be happier. None of these busses are perfect, and vendor items break, but you will find Tiffin will always make things right.

We are residents of Galveston County. All inspections have been titled "safety only". That is not much more than a walk around check of lights, tires, brake pressures, etc. No emission test for diesel RV's.

Your regular drivers license is good unless you have a gross weight of 26,000 pounds or more. No need for class B or above, or CDL. You do not have to deal with the DPS office.

Insurance. Progressive is a ripoff, irrespective of their politics. I got 2 agency quotes from them when we started out, both were over twice where we ended up. I suggest you contact Overland Insurance Services in Scottsdale AZ (licensed in TX). I believe we got to them thru either FMCA or the Tiffin Allegro Club, I forget which. They have me underwritten thru a strong company, and after they handled my windshield claim last summer, I can attest they are an honorable agency. Their number is 480-994-9584.

I am not a tax lawyer, but I recommend you do NOT pay sales tax in Tennessee. They can give you a temporary registration if you execute an affadavit that you will be removing the vehicle from their state. You will file all the paperwork in your county Tax Office in TX, and they will process the title work from scratch. You will pay 6% plus the annual license fee. Be sure to have your Bill of Sale with the actual price shown, as the Tax people now have "data" which probably shows retail list price for your bus.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
Our last two MHS were weighted on a scrap yard scale. They were both bought from La individuals and didn't have a weight slip. They were registered in Jefferson county (Beaumont Tx). We have a 34' DP and drive with a regular license. Our car insurance is with Farmers but the MH is insured with Flo at Progressive because they gave us the best rate. Our neighbors used the weight that was on the title for their registration. CHECK ON THE TAXES, as you may be double billed. Call the tax assore/collector in Harris county and find out before you fly off to Tn. If he/she says don't pay Tn taxes get it in writing on county letterhead and take it with you. You don't need a Tn license tag as you can get a 10 day temp tag. This will give you time to get home and get it registered. My son was double billed in Texas and Ca. He was lucky, it was an inexpensive TT.
"Check On The Taxes" was a GREAT suggestion. The dealer is in Memphis TN and when I asked him about the TN sales tax versus the Texas sales tax, he said if we would test drive the MH into Mississippi, just 5 miles away, we could shake hands, sign the deal in MS, and avoid completely paying the TN tax at the time of sale, since the deal was signed in Mississippi and he has a business interest in MS. So I will pay the Texas sales tax only upon registration in Texas. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #9

Most of the plans are completed. After getting quotes from 6 different sources, we are leaning toward GEICO for our MH and 3 other vehicles. I have Progressive now, but am completely against giving my money to the owner of Progressive so he can send my money to political causes I do not believe in. I guess I'm more of a Warren Buffet type guy anyway.
We will not be paying TN sales tax at delivery. We did a test drive of the MH into Mississippi where the dealer also has a business interest, and "signed the deal" there, so we will only pay the sales tax once to Texas when we register it.
Still going to have it weighed empty before we hook up a toad to it, then again after the toad.
This forum has been such a great help. thanks again.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Enjoy your new machine we bought our new MH down the street from you in Katy, Tx and did not have to go thru the trouble of buying out of state this time. The first one we bought was from an indivual in Oklahoma my credit union loan officer layed out a course of action for us to make sure everything was covered.

KylenCindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas