Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #15

PS--since Texas has no state income tax to deduct on your federal taxes, you can deduct the sales tax on large ticket items, above the standard calculation for annual sales taxes paid. However, if you think this all too unfair, by all means, stay in the state where you are--please!!!!! [smile]

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I am moving to Texas next year and read about it on their website. I bought my motorhome in Montana where they do not have sales tax and Texas wanted about $15,000 to re-register it in Texas. No thanks.
That's not right unless you were a TX resident at the time of purchase.
Have it titled in your current state. You simply transfer the title to TX. No sales tax, as there isn't a new purchase.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Sales Tax and yearly registration

If you already have the title in another State, you don't have to worry about differences in Sales Tax(6.25%). I have purchased 3 motor homes out of state and had to pay the tax difference to get my Texas Title.

Yearly registration is different, you are charged based on the weight of the vehicle. When I had a Sprinter based RV (9000 lbs) the tax was less than $100. Just got my registration bill on my 19,000 lb Newmar Class A and the registration bill was $235. (Ouch). Texas requires an actual scale weight when you get your title. Not sure how this is handled if your title is based in another state. They do not use the manufacturer suggested weights.

Regards, Jerry
Old 07-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #18

Angry Yep, get your rig weighed before attempting to register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
Texas requires an actual scale weight when you get your title. Not sure how this is handled if your title is based in another state. They do not use the manufacturer suggested weights.
Yeah, wish they made this clear on their website. I would have had it weighed at the same time I had it inspected. But now I am set up in a spot that is a bit hard to get into and have no desire to move just to get weighed.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #19

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
That's not right unless you were a TX resident at the time of purchase.
Have it titled in your current state. You simply transfer the title to TX. No sales tax, as there isn't a new purchase.
On registering my 2007 Jeep, purchased new out of state, they charged me a $90 "sales tax fee," so they definitely want some revenue in that area. I saw somewhere they they can charge a fee equal to the difference in state sales tax rate (maybe for newer vehicles?), but now I can't find it.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #20

Angry Fighting need for weight certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
Yeah, wish they made this clear on their website. I would have had it weighed at the same time I had it inspected. But now I am set up in a spot that is a bit hard to get into and have no desire to move just to get weighed.
OP UPDATE
In fact, I found the Motor Vehicle Registration Manual on the TXDOT website and I see no requirement for weight certificate on a motorhome. Private buses, yes, but it clearly states that a motorhome is registered as a passenger vehicle.

I have emailed TXDOT for clarification. I think the folks in the tax office are misinterpreting the rules. Stay tuned.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
... Texas exempts a "new resident" who transfers in a vehicle that was previously registered in their name in their previous home state; only a fixed $90 fee is applied, in lieu of the Use tax.
Exactly. We paid $90 each when we "moved" to Texas with vehicles previously registered out of state. When we later bought a vehicle in Alabama, we paid the 6.25% sales tax when we registered it in Texas.

And with the motorhome, the DMV office in Livingston accepted the Winnebago brochure statement of the empty vehicle weight ...no weight slip required.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I pay 225..00 per year to lic mine plus 7 dollars state inspection..
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #23

I think people are confusing sales tax with an ad valorem tax (property tax) that is paid each year with your license. Here in GA all motorized licensed vehicles new and used purchased from a dealer are charged a 7% up front ad valorem tax which took effect about 2 1/2 years ago and then each time you renew your license you pay only the tag fee, no additional tax for as long as you own the vehicle. The 7% is over and above the sales tax which varies with local government. Purchases from individuals or purchased out of state that don't collect the 7% still pay the ad valorem tax each year based on the value. If you license a vehicle that was licensed in another state you may have to pay a one time "impact" fee which is in effect a "carbon" tax. I believe Florida also has an "impact" fee. Any way you look at it, it is revenue to the state coffers.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:11 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Texas yearly Registration Fee based on Weight.

In Texas it's definitely a "Registration Fee" based on weight of the vehicle not value. My Sprinter based RV has a similar value to my Newmar Class A. The Sprinter weighted about 9000 lbs and the Newmar weighs about 19000. The Registration fee was about 2.5 times higher on the Newmar Class A.

When I did the initial Texas Title Registration on the Newmar that I purchased in Missouri, I showed them the Newmar Brochure showing the weight. I was told that I had to go get a "Real" weight from a local truck scale.

Regards, Jerry
Old 07-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
If you already have the title in another State, you don't have to worry about differences in Sales Tax(6.25%). I have purchased 3 motor homes out of state and had to pay the tax difference to get my Texas Title.

Yearly registration is different, you are charged based on the weight of the vehicle. When I had a Sprinter based RV (9000 lbs) the tax was less than $100. Just got my registration bill on my 19,000 lb Newmar Class A and the registration bill was $235. (Ouch). Texas requires an actual scale weight when you get your title. Not sure how this is handled if your title is based in another state. They do not use the manufacturer suggested weights.

Regards, Jerry
This makes sense, but I think the rules are applied unevenly. I am from Texas as is my son. When I registered a car in Texas that I had bought in Nebraska I had to pay sales tax. My son didn't have to pay sales tax when he registered his North Carolina titled car in Texas. The only difference is we went to different county tax offices.

We bought our motor home from Louisiana and did not have to provide a scale weight when we registered it, they went off the weight on the Louisiana registration which was the maximum weight per the axle ratings.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
I think people are confusing sales tax with an ad valorem tax (property tax) that is paid each year with your license. Here in GA all motorized licensed vehicles new and used purchased from a dealer are charged a 7% up front ad valorem tax which took effect about 2 1/2 years ago and then each time you renew your license you pay only the tag fee, no additional tax for as long as you own the vehicle. The 7% is over and above the sales tax which varies with local government. Purchases from individuals or purchased out of state that don't collect the 7% still pay the ad valorem tax each year based on the value. If you license a vehicle that was licensed in another state you may have to pay a one time "impact" fee which is in effect a "carbon" tax. I believe Florida also has an "impact" fee. Any way you look at it, it is revenue to the state coffers.
There is no ad valorem tax on vehicles in Texas. Registration fees are a use tax, that's why they are based on the weight of the vehicle and not the year and value.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Exactly. We paid $90 each when we "moved" to Texas with vehicles previously registered out of state. When we later bought a vehicle in Alabama, we paid the 6.25% sales tax when we registered it in Texas..
1) If you're paying $90 per vehicle when you're moving to Texas, this isn't a value based tax (unlike sales tax). Likely it's the cost of registering an out of state vehicle... To be a tax, they'd need to base it on the value of the vehicle - it'd be way over $90 and not the same between vehicles. They DO charge for registration.

Per TX:
Quote:
Registration fee (base fee of $50.75 for passenger vehicles and light trucks), Title application fee of $28 or $33, depending on the county, State portion of the vehicle inspection fee ($7-$40), if the vehicle was inspected after March 1, 2015.
Link: TxDMV.GOV - Out of State and Imported Vehicles

If they're calling it a "sales tax fee" and you've already paid tax in another state, they're calling it the wrong thing.

2) If you live in TX and buy a vehicle out of state, you absolutely have to pay in state tax.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
You have to pay difference tax

"2) If you live in TX and buy a vehicle out of state, you absolutely have to pay in state tax."

This is true.

If you paid some tax in another state, you only have to pay the difference when you get back to Texas. When I bought an RV from a dealer in Florida, I paid 6% Florida Tax to the dealer. When I went to get my Texas title, I got credit for the 6% already paid and had to make up the difference of the Texas 6.25% tax.

When I bought an RV from an individual in Missouri, I did not pay any Missouri tax. When I got my Texas title, I had to pay the full 6.25%.

Regards, Jerry

Tags
sale, texas