Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
That's the one...between Hermitage and Mt. Juliet.
I don't care for that road in the towed. Sorry for your loss.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oh my... I bet that just breaks your heart. I sure hope you can find a new scenic route adventurer soon... and thank you for coming in to post for us.... words to remind us!

MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Oh my... I bet that just breaks your heart. I sure hope you can find a new scenic route adventurer soon... and thank you for coming in to post for us.... words to remind us!
Your welcome, and yes, sometimes less than stellar judgement can have some bad consequences. I'm just starting to look around for a new magic carpet...I had forgotten it's a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
I don't care for that road in the towed. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you...I know what you mean. The first time my future wife took me on that road(she's a 'back roads' girl)I remember commenting to her that the DOT forgot the shoulder...pretty scary.

After we missed the gas station we were looking for(and to get off I-40), I pulled off into a church parking lot on OLDR to turn around. DW said that this route will go into Mt. Juliet and on into the campground we were going to stay in. I continued on, after saying "Yeah, but this is no road for a MH". A minute later... Geez, when will I ever learn to listen to my gut???

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
No sense in playing the self-blame game, I think you did a heck of a job given your situation. In retrospect, nobody was injured (or killed!) and you are going to get an opportunity to see what kind of insurance company you have. And you have the satisfaction of knowing you chose a safe coach in the first place. Hope to meet you down the road someday, and hear your story in person. Good luck!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
We had a great three months out West this summer, until... 'Squeaky' is gone.

It's been almost two months now. Sometimes when I think of all the roads we have traveled(the narrow twisties, cold high mountain passes and the blazingly hot 282' below sea level ones), trying to stay true to the 'Scenic Route' mode of travel, I can't believe that I let this journey end so abruptly. I have no one to blame but myself. Hopefully, posting this will have some sort therapeutic value.

After five years of travel, forty nine states, three provinces and 38 National Parks, the scope and beautiful features of this great nation will no longer be displayed through 'Squeaky's' picture window. Very sad indeed. She was a true and faithful friend that showed us wonders we could never have imagined. It truly is like missing a close friend. Sometimes, the feelings of guilt that I let her down is sometimes a little hard to get past. But in the end, she protected us from harm as well.

On the positive, after these almost two months, I'm starting to get some 'wanderlust' urges to find another 'Squeaky' to travel down that 'Scenic Route' to adventure.

She was our first... and thoughts of her will always bring fond memories. Thank you Squeaky and goodbye.

Attachment 75614
Attachment 75615
Very sad story and we really feel for you guys! At least you were not injured and by the look of where you wound up that is a miracle. I have driven off road trucks for years and have experienced alot of close calls. That same thing could happen to me and others with all the experience in the world. That is why they call them accidents. Good luck in finding another Squeaky.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
No sense in playing the self-blame game, I think you did a heck of a job given your situation. In retrospect, nobody was injured (or killed!) and you are going to get an opportunity to see what kind of insurance company you have. And you have the satisfaction of knowing you chose a safe coach in the first place. Hope to meet you down the road someday, and hear your story in person. Good luck!

Bruce
Thank you, Bruce. Yeah, when it first happened, I was down on myself pretty much for not taking better care of her but I think we are getting over that part of the accident. We are now on a positive upswing and looking forward to finding a suitable replacement. We will see how equitable the insurance will be with the final disposition...so far, it's been a slow process and one I'll be grateful to get behind us.

For the last couple of weeks, Willie Nelson's 'On the Road Again' has been play'n with my head...that's a positive sign, right? It has amazed me that a machine could bring such feelings sadness and loss...I do thank you for your kind words of encouragement and who knows, if you see a MH towing a Jeep with a small "Squeaky II" painted on it's backside, stop and say hello.

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 10-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By the looks of that final resting spot, you were very lucky. Did you say your wife was moving around the coach when it happened? That in itself is amazing, you had a guardian angel. Did she get thrown around ? Good luck in your search for skweeky II!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Very sad story and we really feel for you guys! At least you were not injured and by the look of where you wound up that is a miracle. I have driven off road trucks for years and have experienced alot of close calls. That same thing could happen to me and others with all the experience in the world. That is why they call them accidents. Good luck in finding another Squeaky.
Thank you... Originally, I thought I would post our experience as a cautionary reminder that while we all enjoy the RV lifestyle, sometimes things can and do get away from you. As a side, I've found some therapeutic value as well in all the kind words...and I thank you, all.

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
By the looks of that final resting spot, you were very lucky. Did you say your wife was moving around the coach when it happened? That in itself is amazing, you had a guardian angel. Did she get thrown around ? Good luck in your search for skweeky II!
In retrospect, probably never a good idea, but yes, she was just getting ready to open the freezer door to get ice when we left the road. In her words, "I was glued to the front of the fridge doors". She did not get thrown around...No cuts, bumps or bruises and was not sore the next day. on the guardian angel.

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 10-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for this posting. Since I am new to driving a motorhome (one year and a couple thousand miles) this gives me a greater sense of what could happen if I went off a berm. On our last trip we had to travel quiet a ways on a newly paved road with about a 4" dropoff and I was very careful. Now I will be even more so. Lucky you didn't have far to fall.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #25
5er

My heart goes out to you with this accident and the loss of your motorhome. I am also glad to hear that you and your wife were not harmed.

Accidents happen. There are similar road conditions throughout the U.S. Sometimes they can't be avoided. I'm thinking of those stretches of interstate or highway during construction where they have drop offs.

My question is, what can a driver do when a wheel of a Class A drops off a road bed like that? Is the ONLY solution AVOIDING such situations?

I remember jackknifing with my fiver when I hit some black ice. I still don't know how I could have recovered from that. Fortunately in my case, only minor damage and we were able to drive the rig home.
5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Lucky you were not driving faster than your guardian angle could fly! Sorry you lost Squeaky, but the two of you are what's important. You can never replace a loved one.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er View Post

My question is, what can a driver do when a wheel of a Class A drops off a road bed like that? Is the ONLY solution AVOIDING such situations?
Probably. In this case, the narrow road had been repaved so many times that the asphalt was at least eight inches high at the edge. After going back to the scene, the top layer of pavement didn't extend out to the edge of the lower layers...I believe that is there it all started. After the rear dual dropped off the pavement, there was no getting back on the road. What little shoulder there was, was very soft and couldn't support the weight of the RV. I had the wheel turned at least half a turn to the left and the gas petal floored as soon as I felt the rear dual fall off...no help, the pavement height was too high and the shoulder too soft. I think you're right on the money...Avoidance is probably best. Hard lesson.

Moving on...and looking for our next picture window.

We just got the Jeep back three days ago, the wizards at Abra Auto Body in Nashville did a great job.

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 10-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You guys are incredibly lucky, or blessed, maybe a little of both! At least "Squeaky" protected you from harm with her last breath (may she rest in peace).

Hope you can soon find "Squeaky II" !

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote