Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #29

What you describe in post 27 is exactly what happens on the "Top-of-the-World highway in Alaska/Canada. The gravel road has a very soft berm, get a steer wheel into that soft berm and there is no recovery.
On another note, your Squeaky will wind up at a rebuilder shop, be totally rebuilt, and sold with a rebuilt title. One of those companies, 25 miles from our house, sold a 2004 Country Coach some years ago that had been laid-over and rebuilt with a new side-wall,front cap repaired, new windshield. It looked like new, sold at a very low price. $48,000 vicinity.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a tad late on reading this thread. I feel so bad for your both, but you are safe and will march on, I'm sure. I wish you the best for your future "Squeaky". Thank you for posting the pic, it really makes me stop and think about what CAN happen out there and I hope I will be more attentive to road conditions that sometimes I take for granted.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I am just reading this post too, and am so sorry for "Squeaky". But she did her job and protected you and your wife, and a great testament to HR build quality! Do not beat your self up, it was a accident, and just that! We hope to see you, your wife and Squeaky2 in the future! Good luck in finding your new baby! Rail!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #32

Update:

Horray....it sure seems like a long time coming, but the insurance company sent final disposition on the RV and we received the check this last Saturday. I doubt it'll stay in the bank for very long...we really do miss the traveling.

Also got the Jeep back from Abra Auto Body in Nashville(very nice job, BTW) a week ago last Wednesday. I changed the oil yesterday(the shop changed it as well) and did a full inspection of the undercarriage and repairs. With the exception of a bent steering dampener housing, the Jeep's undercarriage came out with just a few scratches on the skid plates. Wow, these Wranglers are a tough breed...think I'm gonna keep it.

Although we're chomp'n at the bit, I think we still need to take our time finding 'Squeaky's' replacement. With only five years experience under our belts, still, I think we know just about that we are looking for with the type of travels we have in mind. It's not going to be easy, but you never know - our 'perfection' could be lurking just around the corner. Looking forward to the hunt.

In closing, I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind comments - it's been a couple of trying months with some hard lessons learned.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Horray....it sure seems like a long time coming, but the insurance company sent final disposition on the RV and we received the check this last Saturday. I doubt it'll stay in the bank for very long...we really do miss the traveling.

Also got the Jeep back from Abra Auto Body in Nashville(very nice job, BTW) a week ago last Wednesday. I changed the oil yesterday(the shop changed it as well) and did a full inspection of the undercarriage and repairs. With the exception of a bent steering dampener housing, the Jeep's undercarriage came out with just a few scratches on the skid plates. Wow, these Wranglers are a tough breed...think I'm gonna keep it.

Although we're chomp'n at the bit, I think we still need to take our time finding 'Squeaky's' replacement. With only five years experience under our belts, still, I think we know just about that we are looking for with the type of travels we have in mind. It's not going to be easy, but you never know - our 'perfection' could be lurking just around the corner. Looking forward to the hunt.

In closing, I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind comments - it's been a couple of trying months with some hard lessons learned.
Thank you both, Jan and Bob, for sharing your entire story with us. The picture of your Squeaky and Jeep laying on their sides will stay with us forever. Keep us posted on Squeaky II, try to enjoy the search.

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Great news folks! Now to find Squeaky II!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote