Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Thank you 'Squeaky'

We had a great three months out West this summer, until... 'Squeaky' is gone.

It's been almost two months now. Sometimes when I think of all the roads we have traveled(the narrow twisties, cold high mountain passes and the blazingly hot 282' below sea level ones), trying to stay true to the 'Scenic Route' mode of travel, I can't believe that I let this journey end so abruptly. I have no one to blame but myself. Hopefully, posting this will have some sort therapeutic value.

After five years of travel, forty nine states, three provinces and 38 National Parks, the scope and beautiful features of this great nation will no longer be displayed through 'Squeaky's' picture window. Very sad indeed. She was a true and faithful friend that showed us wonders we could never have imagined. It truly is like missing a close friend. Sometimes, the feelings of guilt that I let her down is sometimes a little hard to get past. But in the end, she protected us from harm as well.

On the positive, after these almost two months, I'm starting to get some 'wanderlust' urges to find another 'Squeaky' to travel down that 'Scenic Route' to adventure.

She was our first... and thoughts of her will always bring fond memories. Thank you Squeaky and goodbye.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5321.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	75614
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5322.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	75615

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jan and Bob,

We have a similar setup as yours, with a W22 chassis towing a Jeep. If I may, what happened?

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Jan and Bob,

If I may, what happened?
We were going to fill up at a gas station on the Old Lebanon Dirt Road(was dirt at one time)before a weeks stay at the CG. The road is very narrow, but paved...many, many, many times over. The edge of the pavement's dropoff was 8 to 10 inches high with no, and I mean NO shoulder. Oncoming traffic, so I moved a little from the center line and dropped the right duel off the pavement and could not get the MH back on the road. Full throttle and hard left steering didn't help. You just can't allow the tires to leave this road...had nothing to do with the MH or it's chassis...driver error, pure and simple.

It was a slow motion ride from hell but neither of us got a scratch, we were not even sore the next day. The HR held up well considering the depth of the ditch and the boulders...we did have a fence post come through the entrance door. DW was getting ice from the freezer at the time and was glued(her words) to the front doors of the fridge...not a scratch, bump or bruise. It was a miracle and a tribute to the MH's build. We exited via through the windshield.

Luckily, we were in Nashville to visit family and had some much needed help. The Jeep is still in Nashville being repaired, but the MH is toast. Insurance final disposition is still pending on both... can't wait to get this chapter behind us.

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 10-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thank you very much for sharing that. While driving thru a lengthy construction zone in Arkansas this summer, I too suffered a bit of driver error. The front right tire barely crossed over the edge of the right side of the shoulder, pulling the coach in that direction. The only thing that saved us was the fact there was just enough shoulder to allow the tire to bite, then steer back onto the road. Glad you are all OK, good luck with finding your next "Squeaky".

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Thank you very much for sharing that. While driving thru a lengthy construction zone in Arkansas this summer, I too suffered a bit of driver error. The front right tire barely crossed over the edge of the right side of the shoulder, pulling the coach in that direction. The only thing that saved us was the fact there was just enough shoulder to allow the tire to bite, then steer back onto the road. Glad you are all OK, good luck with finding your next "Squeaky".

Bruce and Judy
Yep, it happens. With all the places we've been and the diversity of the roads we've traveled, I always thought I knew exactly there my tires were with respect to the road. I don't know, maybe some over confidence or maybe I got a little complacent, but man, it sure was a tough lesson. Thanks. Safe travels.

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 10-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
That is SO sad! I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
VERY happy to hear you both did not get hurt!!!!!! Material things are replaceable, loved ones are not.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5er View Post
VERY happy to hear you both did not get hurt!!!!!! Material things are replaceable, loved ones are not.
Thanks Falcon190

mo5er, Yes, that little fact helped us get through it all...it really was all that mattered.

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #9

We all make mistakes, most of the time we get lucky and make them in more forgiving places. Sounds like you are staying strong, glad you both came out of it unhurt.

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Old 10-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annierufus View Post
We all make mistakes, most of the time we get lucky and make them in more forgiving places. Sounds like you are staying strong, glad you both came out of it unhurt.

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Thanks

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 10-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #11

Where is Old Lebanon Dirt Road? I know of one in Wilson County TN, is that the one?
Old 10-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #12

That's the one...between Hermitage and Mt. Juliet.

RIP 'Squeaky'
Old 10-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #13

Those pictures broke my heart! We almost had the same scenario just this last Wednesday. We were traveling from Elko, NV to Reno, about 320 miles when we had a blowout on front driver tire. We were immediately driving on the wheel/rim at 60 miles an hour. DH almost lost control. He was able to get us to the side of the road and roadside assistance came to put the spare on. We had to drive the 290 miles on the spare. I also get attached to vehicles and would have been devastated if we had ended up in the ditch. We are fulltimers.
I'm so sorry you lost Squeaky and glad no one was injured. Hope to see you down the road.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
The first one is always the best one. Sorry for your loss